Simple FSM tutorial - using states

Hi Blenderheads,

it seems there are some gaps when it comes to specific methods in implementing logic.

FSM

Today I want to show how to implement an FSM with logic bricks and states. Please check wikipedia for details on finite state machine. Do not be affraid if you think it looks to complicated - you will see it is not.

An FSM comes quite handy for character animation and behavior description. The nice thing is you do not need to write a single line of Python to implement an FSM.

This tutorial will show you how to do that.

For simplification the example uses entry actions only (Moore-machines). This is a good idea in general to keep it simple.

Elements of an FSM

State - describes the current state of the system
Transition - describes the transition from exactly one (from-) state to one (to-)state
Action - creating output (animation, calculation, sound etc.)
Events - trigger a transition

Graphical notation

An FSM can be described as a graph. The nodes are the states, the edges the transitions. The events are written to the edges. The actions are written to the state if included.
Example:
/uploads/default/original/4X/c/4/d/c4d2b3980700a840a86c4d13b6b4572b2dde9a7f.PNGd=1340948508&thumb=1

A graph is quite handy for quick sketches and overview. I really recommend to draw your own. But it is hard to use a graph within a program. The truth is the BGE can’t work with graphs.

Table notation

The BGE can work with the table notification of the FSM.
It usually consists of

• a table of transitions
  • a table of entry actions

Each row belongs to one state. The state in the BGE is implicit given by the state number of a controller (right of the controller’s name).

Entries in the state table contain:

• one or more sensors sensing for the transition events
  • one or more controllers performing the decision of the transaction is enabled or not
  • one State Actuator switching the state when the transition takes place

Entries in the entry action table contain:

• an sensor triggering at state entry (Always - no pulses - LEVEL)
  • one or more controllers
  • one or more Actuators of any type (except State Actuators)
    Please keep in mind, the BGE deactivates actuators when leaving a state

Example

This example defines 4 states:
Idle, Side, Forward, Turn
When entering a state the cube does what the name of the state implies (= Entry Action).

State Entry Action
Idle stop all motion
Side Move to the side
Forward Move forward
Turn Turn yourself

You can switch from one state to another on key press. Here only two keys are accepted <- left and -> right arrows.
You can cycle through the states with this two keys.
The transitions are:

State Event Next State
Idle <- Side
Idle -> Turn
Side <- Forward
Side -> Idle
Forward <- Turn
Forward -> Side
Turn <- Idle
Turn -> Forward

Game Logic

First enable the state map by selecting the little (+) left of the controller’s column header.
In the lower map enable the first state to make it the initial state.

Now define 4 states by setting up 1 controller for each state. Each controller needs a different state number:

1 = Idle
2 = Side
3 = Forward
4 = Turn

I recommend to name the controller according to their meaning. It will help you later to keep the overview. In 2.49 this name was shown as hover in the state map. I really do not know why this useful information was removed with 2.5.

Now you need 4 State Actuators to be able to switch to these states. You can’t give them the same name as the controllers, but you can use a variation:
e.g. controller = Idle -> idle, aIdle, toIdle

I recommend to disable the state button above the sensor and actuator columns. otherwise the logic block would only be visible in the state with a connection. You can enable it when you are done.

The logic bricks of the first state (“Idle”) look like this:

In Idle state the cube should not do anything. So the transition table is the only setup here.

Lets have a look at the second state (“Side”):

Additional there is one entry action triggered by an always sensor. It will move the cube along X as long as the cube is in state “Side”.

The other states are similar to this one but with different entry actions and different transitions. You can find the complete setup in the demo file in the next post.

I hope this introduction to FSM is useful.

Monster

This example uses much more events and much more transitions.

From each graph we can transit to another with the same Event. This makes the UI consistent to the end-user.
The resulting transition table has the same structure as in the first example:

We need more transition as we have to deal with more input.

Please keep in mind: in an FSM the input is ALWAYS state dependent. If you discover an input does not do what you expect you should to check if the state is as expected first. You can do that by enabling the debug properties in the game menu and enable the (i) right of the initial states map.

Attached is the Demo file with both examples.
Scene “Demo.1” contains this example.
Scene “Demo.2” contains the example of the first post.

You see the number of transitions can become quite large as much states you define. Therefore it is important to plan ahead. It is not always necessary to transit from each state to each other state. Often it is better to transit through other states to reach the target state.

Further usages:
Character animation:
Standing, Walking, Running, Jumping, Sitting, Holding, Talking …

NPC:
Patrolling, Hunting, Fleeing, Searching, Fighting …

Attachments

StateDemo.blend (95.8 KB)

I know that states are good for simplification and performance of the GE when you’re dealing with complicated logic. But, every time I’ve tried using states for a game character, the rig actions will not blend together when switching states. I know that Yo Frankie dealt with that by using a state dedicated to actions. I found it pretty confusing. How would you reccomend using states with rig actions?

This is a problem of the 2.61/2.62 action actuator. They do not deactivate properly on state change. This is in the bug tracker already.

Finally this is the reason why the above example is not an character with character animations :(.

Great tutorial as usual monster! I think that you should start to work on projects like the ones made on Blendercookie for example since usually they are great and explain very well the subject!

Nevermind, I found a new way of triggering animations, instead of logic bricks
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Moguri/GSoC_Animation_Docs

They work great. I made a nifty little setup, where the different scripts from the player can just assign a property to the rig, and it plays whatever animation you want. Very good for a character that contains many scripts and states. And it works perfectly with states, because you dont have to “deactivate” it.

Is this still the case in 2.78/2.79? i’m having problems to get armature actions to play properly with the FSM i’m doing for the
player character…

i also read that that that layered armature actions don’t work properly… did anybody try that recently? i’m not sure if it’s
only me but i can’t get my setup to work properly

THX defstone

Unfortunately this bug was never solved.