Need Someone to Write Script to Get Object's Local Normals

As pointed out in this thread Blender has no proper method to calculate an objects normals so when the view is changed the materials normals don’t change with it.

Etana has created a video which does a good job of showing the problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDltEZ9jXjk

Having a way to get an object’s local normals would greatly benefit the creation of realistic landscape materials like the ones used in Vue infinite. (see image)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169409[/ATTACH]

I wonder if someone in the Blender community would be willing to code a node or write a python script to get an object’s local normals?

Anyone up to the challenge?

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Coding > Python Support”

Thanks Fweeb. :slight_smile:

Actually that last place was more appropriate for this topic.
IF I am correct, such a node can’t be made with only python scripting but it needs a new patch. So because of that it should be at “blender discussion” and not at python support section.

The point of this thread is that blender really needs a new node for the material nodes and this node should be able to return object’s local normals, not anything that is view dependent like current Geometry node’s normal output.

normals are calculated internal to blender and cannot be changed !

but it looks like you can change vert normals but again this wont stay for long if you change anything they will be re calculated!

so this would probably require a custom made patch to do this !

happy 2.6

to do this i think you would need to define for each face with other data defining like a new normal vector to be defined to whatever you want
and when executed you would have the choice to select between internal normal or the new one !

i mean not certain if this is easy to do even with a patch !

it would be nice to have a patch like this to give more flexibility in 2.6!

salutations

There is already feature to bake object space normals, it should (or should it?) not be hard job for someone with some experience with blender coding to make a object space normal node.

Blender is useless for realistic terrain render without a slope and height control for procedural textures.