how to keep objects from going through eachother???

ok. I wonder if their is any way to keep the objects from going through one another, i have a pair a swords i am animating and when they “hit” they just go through one another. IS THEIR ANYTHING I CAN DO TO STOP THIS!!??!! Please help! I have the new 2.3 version of blender. My gues is their is soem kind of script or soemthing fromthe game engine that keeps objects from going through eachother adn i can use it int he animation???

is there a reason you can’t animate it?

I’d imagine you are animating these swords with armatures, so using the game engine’s collision detection would not help you at all.

thanks,

I can animate it and make sure they dont go through eachother. the 2 swords (actually their sais) are different objects with the handles parented to the blades (a total of 4 objects). I guess i just thought their was soemthing you could turn on that would keep the blades from going into eachother. I will have to animate it then. i was just hoping their would be an easier way… but if their isnt ill just tighten my belt and proceed in the world of blender…
-thanks for your help

while im on this subject o fanimaitng these swords, what would be your advice on not motion tracking these swords to footage of my actors fighting. (i mean more like throwing a ax at soemeone and it stiking in as they fall, not blade replacement)… -thanks

The first thing that popped into my head was the new FLOOR constraint from this thread:

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25572

From the example discussed you turn off the X and Y parameters so that only the Z (height in relation to floor) is active. If you set it so that X or Y was active and planned your animation to suit it might work to stop the motion when “hitting” the other sai.

Haven’t tried it; your mileage may vary.

thanks! ill try that.