Sculpting skin pores in blender

Hi

I am working on a high poly character and I wanted to look at sculpting pores. How would I go about adding a new brush?
Do I use a texture if so how would I use this so it doesn’t distort the model? I added a texture but it didn’t apply very well and using brushes such as draw it affected the model

Any help would be great :slight_smile:

There’s a tutorial on BlenderCookie showing a similar process. It involves an alpha brush and sculpting the detail directly into the model. I think it was a citizen tutorial, the tail end of modeling a high-poly female head or something like that.

You don’t sculpt pores, you use a bump or displacement map at render time to get the look.

Not if you want the right details in the right places. It’s best to use an alpha map like InfantryRocks said. That way you have more control over the intensity and amount of pores you want in certain areas. Also, you can add different pores where you want them. I don’t know many professionals who use bump maps at render time for pores. They always go in and place the pores with alphas.

Thanks for all the advice :slight_smile:

A nice alternative (or addition) to alpha maps is to tweak the Jitter and Space-settings to get dotted and uneven effects.

“Not if you want the right details in the right places. It’s best to use an alpha map like InfantryRocks said. That way you have more control over the intensity and amount of pores you want in certain areas. Also, you can add different pores where you want them.”

Eh… all those sculpting methods can be applied with a texture-based approach, plus stuff like cloning or editing in photoshop. If the computer can handle the poly count needed for pore-level sculpting, that’s great… but I think the brute force multimillion poly solution is viable less often in Blender than in Zbrush.

I paint detail like that on a bump map using a texture brush instead of sculpting it. You can set it up to work in Texture Paint mode to see the changes live using GLSL.