Page 11 of 323 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Dyntopo tests

@mad
    Here a simple dyntopo-remesh. After operation, dyntopo again. Everything works except this case-see the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nonmanifolds.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	195845  

Attached Files Attached Files

Oh. Yep. That's a problem with the remesh modifier, not the script. I've pointed it out a couple times, and Nicholas is aware of it. Unfortunately I can't do anything about it. I just undo and remesh at a higher depth in such cases. I thought you had a problem with one of the booleans.

Of course we are all aware of it. It's irrelevant with your fine script.
    Unfortunately, it usually happens when abstraction-holes operation takes place.
    To tell the truth, I never liked the blender remesh modifier. I bet, it's impossible to remesh using quads only. Some tris are needed too. (like the zbrush dynamesh). Quads are good but only under retopology.
    Just saying, if remesh modifier could work with tris only, like dyntopo, what do you say?

More bugfixes to the script, a little refactoring, and all the operators should now work in sculpt mode too.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?iwk3hbrh1ex3ztr
    Last edited by Piotr Adamowicz; 19-Sep-12 at 09:12.

@mad, it works just fine for me.
    Booleans then.

@MadMinstrel, Sick. I've installed your script and in conjuction with remesh it's real joy to use. Last blender version in which I tried to use booleans was blender 2.4x. It just didn't work. Now booleans work really well. Thank you, guys

.....here's some WIP's render!

...hope you like them!

Cool little monster. How did you light it? Can you share the setup? Seems very zbrush-ish.

Originally Posted by MadMinstrel View Post
    Cool little monster. How did you light it? Can you share the setup? Seems very zbrush-ish.
    thanks!

.....the model has a matcap and it's lit up by a sun lamp,the world background has a spherical blend texture with the color red filling the center!

Ah! A matcap! That explains the zbrush feel. Thanks

Just for the record, have a look on this basic group of cycles nodes. It produces more interesting shading than matcaps. Though under a physically correct engine like cycles, a more CG feel. Play with the coloramp and the two colors/mixcolor node settings. Layerweight value also controls the amount of the effect.
    I use grey scale coloramp only, though I could add colors on it. It gives me more options to connect it simultaneously to lot of other nodes.
    Last edited by michalis; 20-Sep-12 at 02:37.

Just for information, can one of you explain what a "matcap" is ?
    Thanks !

@Gwenouille
    Do some search on this BA topic. There's a whole discussion and lot of textures to download for use as matcaps.
    It's a 2d sphere on a square texture; under BI, assign it as a texture, check normal projection way.

Oh i see. It's some kind of reflection map to simulate a reflective material. I guess that's what sculptris uses too ?

@Gwenouille
    Yeah, like sculptris, zbrush, etc

A question on cycles. Can it support this kind of normal to camera projection? Matcaps? Just for fun because Matcaps will never work right under GI pathtracers.
    I became addicted now. Working on low poly dyntopo, boolean operations; this is an endless game for me. Something I can't do in sculptris or zbrush or 3dcoat. It's a very personal matter, I guess so. It's the behavior of blender sculpting tools.
    Last edited by michalis; 20-Sep-12 at 05:09.

@Mihalis, looking at your renders I'm thinking of only one thing. How nice would it be having cycles viewport when sculpting! I think in 5-7 years we will be able to sculpt in realtime under cycles (when gpu become more powerful)

@ygs
    ha ha right.
    But, but, have you notice that They try to replace progressive realtime viewport rendering with the old tiled rendering???
    Edit:
    I don't want to spoil this artistic thread. Please visit this "eastern egg surprise" thread and make your complains there.
    You will become another troll for them but it's OK.
    Last edited by michalis; 20-Sep-12 at 05:38.

@Mihalis, i'm not proficient in cycles or sculpting but I've made a small cycles render of my previous (not dynatopo) work to compare with same viewport image. I can see the difference. Do you? I prefer sculpting under conditions of the left image.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cycles_vs_viewport.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	195964

Mihalis, we should unite and I'm ready to become a troll
    Last edited by ygs; 20-Sep-12 at 06:03.

Beautiful, almost archaic portrait. Angelina as a cori (greek ancient for young woman).
    There're other cases where the matcap won't help at all. Like an opened mouth. Even here (matcap version), mouth on the right shadowed area, leaps look a bit wrong, but they aren't really. Shadow casting and GI are very important in sculpting.

@Mihalis, I wasn't clear about above renders. Here's another image to illustrate. From left to right. 1. Cycles 2. Solid mode 3. Matcap (zbrush's redwax)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cycles_solid_matcap.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	195971

Matcap isn't that bad, but Cycles is very close to reality. Cycles render makes you want to touch the model. I agree cycles is the way to go for suclpting viewport!

Page 11 of 323 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast