Page 3 of 322 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Dyntopo tests

Great work everyone! You're making this such a beautiful thread.

New tests

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	task03.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	194114

and a speedsculpt in dynatopo, really fun to work with :-)

Name:	dynatopo4_horse.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	194125

not a new figure but maybe a movable one in the future

Name:	Strong Sculptdyn.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	194156

Name:	the faces of strongv2a.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	429.8 KB 
ID:	194153

Name:	Strongsolid.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	194154

By the way , I like the posted Videos a lot.

and, another test... this is not purely blender though : the mesh is dynatopo of course, then exported to zbrush for retopo and uv, rendering then again in blender with cycles... i really love how these two play together. dynatopo is really powerful, and fun !

Name:	dynatopo_test05.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	417.2 KB 
ID:	194254

What IS dyntopo?!
    You know you've been programming too much if you start saying CTRL+Z to undo something.

The best AI Is Actual Intelligence!

Originally Posted by polygon studios View Post
    What IS dyntopo?!
    Dynamic Topology coded by Blender's developer and module owner for the sculpting and multi-resolution modeling tools, Nicholas Bishop!

.......a dyntopo doodle!

my first two tests,female head around 50k ,dragon around 120k, body made with skin modifier as base

Name:	Female_Head.png 
Views:	149 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	194283

Name:	Dynamic_Dragon_test.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	194284

Keep posting guys. Here is not dynotopo but remesh sculpt (with use of Sick script, btw. would be great to make addon from it, with detail slider UI).

One thing I noticed, at final stage of remesh I added multires modifier, but after subdividing It started to lag like hell. Removing it and subdividing mesh in editmode helped a lot. Seems weird since multires should be optimized for sculpting, isn't it?

@JoseConseco - really nice, is there any link to this remesh sculpt workflow? (with sick script maybe..?)

Thanks
    Testing: Vray for Blender // Old projects: #1 - Eames chaise lounge #2 - Chester Interior

Nice one Jose
    Is this cavity-dirt effect made via vertexpainting?
    I strongly recommend you to use dyntopo. You have to work a bit to understand that this isn't another sculptris. The behavior of tools and the workaround are significantly different. It can lead you to more unpredictable results. And, for some reason, a more controllable density.
    Last edited by michalis; 03-Sep-12 at 07:14.

marcoG_ita - I updated Sick script, You can load it as addon.

Grab it from here

I will add simple UI where You can choose remesh detail.

michalis - yep, It is just like You do it - vertex drit used for masking diffuse and spec roughness. I think 'dirt only' option wasn't there when I last checked it (around half year ago :/ ). I will have to dig into dynatopo but at first sign it didn't impressed me. I guess I'm more used to sculptris...
    Anyway I hope with remesh script it is much easier now to control density of mesh. And obviously there is much less clicking. I'm not sure however how do I bind hotkey to remesh operator. Sick, do You know how?

Originally Posted by JoseConseco View Post
    One thing I noticed, at final stage of remesh I added multires modifier, but after subdividing It started to lag like hell. Removing it and subdividing mesh in editmode helped a lot. Seems weird since multires should be optimized for sculpting, isn't it?
    It's an known 'limitation' of multi-res. Explanation from Nicholas:

Here's a rough guide to the effect your base mesh has on the speed of sculpting:

1. When you sculpt, it optimizes by ignoring parts of the mesh that aren't near the brush. There are two resource-intensive things that sculpting does: the actual brush calculations needed to modify the surface, and redrawing the areas that have been changed. For this optimization to work, it needs to break the mesh up into pieces. That way, just one small piece can be sculpted or redrawn, rather than millions of polygons in a detailed mesh. So the question is how is mesh split up?

2. When you multires a mesh, it gets split up into grids. You know how when you apply one level of subsurf to a model, each quad turns into four smaller quads, and each triangle turns into three smaller quads? Each of those quads counts as one grid in multires. So if your input mesh is 6 quads, like the default cube, you'll have 24 grids, whereas a monkey (500 faces), produces 1968 grids.

3. One grid is the smallest chunk of the mesh that can be sculpted on and redrawn independently. So no matter how far you subdivide, you have the same number of grids, and you have the same limit on the number of chunks the mesh can be split into for optimization.

Note that only the topology of the base mesh matters, not the shape.

As I said, this is a rough guide -- it doesn't contain any numbers! So you still have to experiment a bit to see what level of detail in the base mesh works best on your system.

-Nicholas

Grab it from here

michalis - yep, It is just like You do it - vertex drit used for masking diffuse and spec roughness. I think 'dirt only' option wasn't there when I last checked it (around half year ago :/ ). I will have to dig into dynatopo but at first sign it didn't impressed me. I guess I'm more used to sculptris...
    Anyway I hope with remesh script it is much easier now to control density of mesh. And obviously there is much less clicking. I'm not sure however how do I bind hotkey to remesh operator. Sick, do You know how?
    THX,Jose,this is awesome!

Grab it from here

I'm not sure however how do I bind hotkey to remesh operator. Sick, do You know how?
    Thanks a lot for adding the UI to choose detail, I did not know how to.

Here's a short video showing how to bind the operator to a key, you may want to see it in HD.

You may also notice I've changed the credits on your script, Nicholas Bishop wrote this, and I copied it from someone else's version at this forum, and only changed a couple of settings.

About your problem with multires. You shouldn't try multires after remesh if you've gone as high as level 7, in my tests, remesh at level 6 was still workable, but no further.
    The workflow should be: either remesh or dyntopo for concept sculpting, going as high poly as you need/can with them; then retopo, and finally, multires for high frequency detail.

Give Dyntopo a try!
    I didn't want to use it a first because I was happy with remesh and just started working with the scripts, but Dyntopo is very fun.

Many thanks Jose. Great job!

Regards

EDIT: thanks sick too, with shortcut as you showed, it's really similar to Dynamesh workflow from ZB.
    Last edited by marcoG_ita; 04-Sep-12 at 06:23.
    Testing: Vray for Blender // Old projects: #1 - Eames chaise lounge #2 - Chester Interior

it's really similar to Dynamesh workflow from ZB.
    Indeed but not quite. Dynamesh is a masterpiece of art as dyntopo is.

@doris
    Impressive sculpting. Not many commented it though. Weird.
    Here's a new one. ~680K
    Testing the latest dyntopo build.

Last edited by michalis; 04-Sep-12 at 14:07.

I would enjoy seeing some of your sculptures in a museum setting.The above another fine piece of workmanship and this sculpture has a more pronounced jaw and lower forehead that your usual work... Maybe a bust of Solon sometime in the future?

Any news on a linux version that will work? All the ones I try fail to run in ubuntu 12.04 64 bit

@digman. Download this linux build:
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...32#post2188532

It works for me on ubuntu 12.04 64bit (I've upgraded my linux box just to run this). If you have any questions related to this build, ask questions under this branch
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...Branch-is-here!
    so other linux users can see the answers too.
    Last edited by ygs; 04-Sep-12 at 13:41.

Thanks digman
    I updated the post, because... I installed a new ATI. I can go for millions of poly now. I don't need them but you never now. LOL
    Funny, most users go for nvidia these days. I just replaced an nvidia.
    Performance of blender sculpting is smooth and marvelous.

Page 3 of 322 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast