Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chester Interior

Chester Interior

Hi all,

got a few hours to get this pretty finished, testing some Cycles and Blender features.

Cushions with Dynatopo, floor with new brick texture, fake IES lights with this method.

Regards.

-------------------------------------------------

A contribution by Farmfield

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chester Interior attach.png 
Views:	743 
Size:	943.4 KB 
ID:	197255  

Last edited by marcoG_ita; 25-Nov-12 at 07:42.
    Testing: Vray for Blender // Old projects: #1 - Eames chaise lounge #2 - Chester Interior

Great work! This really showcases Cycles power for Archviz in a very strong way.
    Only the shaders of the pillows dont look quite right, but maybe is just me.
    Personal Portfolio: www.camara.weebly.com
    Studio: www.4u2see.weebly.com

I like especially the leather on the couch. That's very realistic. On the other hand I think the floor still needs some more work - bump and gloss?. The pillows especially those violet ones somehow don't look like they're really in the place. I think it's too much of the rim light. And lastly the DOF. Is it done in postproduction or is it rendered? If I look at the last picture the sharp edge of the couch looks like it's done in post. But it's good to see somebody pioneering cycles for arch viz

Absolutely beautiful work!
    How did you light the scene, and what amount of samples/render times did you get?

Great work man, I dig the materials you used. Especially for that couch!

how did you get the lamp effect on the wall?

@Everyone - Many thanks guys as always.

@peter18 - link for fake IES light is in the description.

@Jakerlund - Scene is lit by 2 big mesh lights, plus the two area lamps on the wall, 500 sample at 1980*1000 - 14 mins with GPU

@cdog - the floor has gloss and bump, you can't see that because of the shot. DOF is in camera (no postpro), the sharp transition is due to the distance between couch and wall. I don't love it too though. I find hard to use well Zdepth with Cycles, still testing, that's why I used in camera DoF.

Cushions shaders are not final for now, need a bit of work, right now they have basic setup.

Cheers!
    Testing: Vray for Blender // Old projects: #1 - Eames chaise lounge #2 - Chester Interior

Great work marco!!!
    I still don't quite like the spots lights. I know how you did it but it looks a bit artificial to me. Probably because the three zones are equal. Maybe some tweaking?
    Did you use dyntopo here? (except the pillows)
    Overall a very good work, I could say "gallery stuff"

Very good pictures !

I like the lightning, but the IES are some kind of to strong from my point of view.

Kind regards
    Alain
    Artwork - Farnsworth House
    Equipment - Intel Pentium 2.8 GHz 2 Cores, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX TITAN 8GB, Blender 2.72, Win 7 64 Bit, NVIDIA Driver current version

@michalis - Hey mate, glad to hear you here. Yep the pic is very symmetrical and IES really strong, my girlfriend said that too, could appear a bit fake-ish No dynotopo beside cushions, btw i have to retopo them and apply cloth textures/bump. Thanks

@Alain - Many thanks, yes spots are a bit strong, i should also make them slightly different!

Regards guys.

EDIT: nobody noticed volumetric mist in 1st pic? (Blender Internal composited) I'd like to know if it's invisible or simply negligible.

Cheers
    Last edited by marcoG_ita; 02-Oct-12 at 06:53. Reason: typo

It's visible, moreover, it has no noise. So in comparison to Cycles noise it is really visible. I thought it could be maybe made by lamp ray lenght shaders...

Second notice: The Halo effect looks a little bit out of the picture. Halo in Blender has its deep. For ex. it is visible near the sofas side but also not enough i think.

All of all, beautifull and subtle light detail.
    Dawid Huczyński Portfolio
    tibicen.cba.pl up to 2014 about Architecture and Blender + some tests

Wow, many thanks guys for the gallery, much appreciated! Now I really have to update some minor details to push this work further.

I posted this work on treddi.com too, a big italian 3d community but also haunted by international pro users. People were enthusiast and moderators asked for a making of. It will be in italian, but i'm planning an english version too

The point is, it's not the best work in CG world of course, but maybe this Making Of could bring more experienced users to Blender who still think it's not capable of making good looking interior renders, or think Blender is aimed for amateur works.

Donations apart, this is my attempt to help Blender grows.

Regards, Marco.

@marcoG_ita
    Thanks for your effort ! I very hope your renderings will help to change the way professionals think about Blender/Cycles.

Kind regards
    Alain
    Artwork - Farnsworth House
    Equipment - Intel Pentium 2.8 GHz 2 Cores, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX TITAN 8GB, Blender 2.72, Win 7 64 Bit, NVIDIA Driver current version

Great work, and beautiful, congratulations!

Marco, congrats on the gallery! I think it's a good thing nobody noticed the volumetrics in the 1st picture. It shows that you're able to add subtle details to an image artfully. I might be tempted to lessen the overall opacity in favor of adding some "hotter" noise or small speckles, especially closer to the actual lamps. If you do, keep it very subtle as you have.

The dark pillow shaders need some work, as was already mentioned. It's almost like they are picking up too much light. I'm not sure if you're using tangent shading on them, but the shader might benefit from mixing with a more traditional matte material.

The floor could use a reflection pass, very subtle and low gloss (for falloff and irregular nature of non-polished surface). Most hardwood floors will reflect at least a small amount. It would cast beautiful tones on the floor at the base of your lamp and cabinet.

Again, this is really great. Please take my crits as compliments, you've done a stellar job here. I just think it can be even a bit better. Now go make the Blender community proud!

@crisbono - many thanks mate

@dlax - Hey, thanks for C&C! Cushions need some work, i'm planning to get them done soon, the shader has facing blending to get a velvet-ish look. Floor has bump and small reflection already, it's not hardwood, it's a tile floor, that's why the low amount of gloss and the shot angle does not spoil the shader look properly.

This is the floor shader applied to the wall (old test), is made with new brick texture node. The input texture is a non seamless map and you get a pretty decent tiles simulation without even opening photoshop, really fast:

Thanks everyone and regards.

One minor thing if you want to really perfect it - there are some fireflies in the left lamp. Either smooth them out in post or maybe make a border render with more samples.

Aha, I see my mistake now. Sorry about that. The node seems like a really good tool, and thanks for pointing it out. So many great features in Blender pass by me unnoticed these days. Again, best of luck with your making-of!

Absolute awesomeness. As usual.

Hey mate, how have you been!? Glad you come back and thanks, as usual.

Regards

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast