Nov 16 2015: Added Brush Quickset functionality for Particle Edit mode
Nov 15 2015: Fixed View Straighten for 2.76b, added gifs
Jan 27 2014: Fixed Brush Quickset for 2.69, added Brush Select By Name
Here's a collection of simple addons I've created to enhance sculpting + painting workflow in Blender. They are highly configurable in the hotkey editor, with many options for input style and appearance.
Works in any 3D view sculpt or paint mode.
Automatically assigned to RMB in sculpt mode.
brush.modal_quickset for hotkeys
Brush QuickSet from search menu
Modify sculpt/paint brush radius and strength in a streamlined manner.
To use, assign a hotkey to brush.modal_quickset in a paint or sculpt mode.
Recommended RMB, but any key can be used in a hold-and-release manner.
What does it do? When you activate the modal operator, you can drag the
mouse along either axis to affect brush radius or strength. Which axis
affects which is configurable, amongst other things detailed below.
- Axis Order: Whether X or Y affects brush size, etc.
- Key Action: Hotkey activity (press or release) can apply or cancel.
- Numeric: Show strength value when adjusted; can pick size
- Slider: Represent strength with a visual slider; can pick size
- Pixel Deadzone: Distance before an axis starts affecting the brush.
- Size Sensitivity: Multiplier for quicker or slower radius adjustment.
- Graphic: Represent strength via transparent brush overlay
- Lock Axis: Allow only one value to be altered at a time
- Not available for painting in the image editor.
- Holding ctrl does not snap to values, probably should.
Works in any 3D view.
No hardcoded hotkey; assign your own for full functionality.
view3d.view_straighten for hotkeys
View Straighten from search menu
Activate operator and it eases into the nearest view in 90 degree increments.
Activating the operator a second time toggles perspective, optionally.
The length of the view transition is configurable, and can be instant.
Holding down the operator key allows mouse movement to smoothly
shift the view to adjancent sides. Configurable distance.
- Assigning to hotkeys LMB, MMB, Esc or RMB, the key-hold functionality will not work.
Brush Select By Name
Cycle between brushes by name with custom hotkeys (example above).
This prevents new brushes added to blender from breaking old array-index-based hotkeys.
brush.select_by_name for hotkeys
Assign brush.select_by_name to a hotkey in User Settings > Input.
Enter the names of the brushes for this key to cycle through.
- Clay,Clay Strips,Draw
- Grab,Snake Hook
Default string doesn't work, but is kept for example purposes.
Blender doesn't have default settings for operators, but uses
the last-called settings when hotkey options are unmodified.
Please use and enjoy! Feedback and suggestions for new ideas are welcome.
Here are more ideas I want to do:
- 'Sculpt/Paint pan' modal, special panning that positions target focus automatically, centered to volumes one is moving around
- 'Quick Pose', create temporary bone and deform mesh; will have nice falloff, symmetry options, translate/rotate/scale. Basic concept is drawing a line that auto-generates a joint and weighting on the mesh, allowing quick armature-like deformations of a multires model
- Sculpting quick-silhouette mode
- Improved UI/UX for existing sculpting tools and options