Basic size question and a modelling question.

Hello,

I have a few serious question that I want an answer for and hoping that u guys can clear it up a bit. :slight_smile:

The questions:

1. How big do u make things like buildings, players, etc…?
  2. Out of what do u build a building? plane or all cubes, or a single cube for a single room etc.

More info regarding the questions:

1. I use the blender layout to build things, like a cube is 1 x1 bu? so if I make a character it will be 1.8 bu high (average height of humans). and lets say a kitchen would be around 4x6 bu. is this the right way, or do I make things way to big now?

ps. and the standard raster is 0.5 bu? because a cube covers 4 raster squares.

1. ive builded a dungeon out of a cylinder, works pretty well if u flip the normals, but then when u walk outside u can see into the dungeon, the plane is gone (duh we flipped the normal) but how do I get it so u can see it from both sides? (inside out or other way around). so with this I was thinking maybe its better to build rooms out of cubes.
    (like left wall 1 cube, right wall second cube, north wall another cube, etc.) liked the plane idea but walls aren’t 1 mm thick and normally u cant see trough it.

How do I need to look at this? I am still (a nub) learning and I thought that this where good questions to know.

1. I believe according to the physics engine, a Blender Unit is 3 feet / 1 meter (?), so the average human is around 2 BU tall (6 feet).
  2. Doesn’t really matter what you make the building out of. If you don’t want to see through it from other sides, build the dungeon like a real building, with inside and outside walls. You can do this easier with the Solidify modifier.
  1. Ok thank for clarifying that, so I did the right thing, made everything based of the bu, but then the second part, is the cube 1 x 1 bu or is the grid 1 x 1 bu? because thats another thing I worry about (not the whole grid but the squares each).

Because select object hit s > x > 5 scales it to 5 at x line. but when u move an object so g > x > 5 it uses the grid layout/spaces,
so 5 bu wil be 2.5. whats up with that? or is it just 2 different things that cant be compared to each other?

1. Thanks I added the modifier and it looks great from in or the outside :).

The default cube is 2 x 2 BU. The grid depicts the correct spacing. Grabbing and translating an object with a numbered offset (G-Key> X-Key (to select the dimension, like you did) > 5) will move it by that many Blender Units.

Just to complete this thread, you can show the faces from both sides by unchecking “backface culling” and when you scale a Cube wich is 2x2BU by s-x-5 the size along the x axis will be multiplyed by 5 so it is 10BU.

Hope this helped :wink:

Thanks guys, then i build it all at the double size,
time to start fresh again :slight_smile:

Select all (A) “S” key 2