Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Bot Siege

I'm glad you are considering it. I think it makes it kind of speak more, say more with less. either way, both ways have their appeal.
    My portfolio: here

Originally Posted by Frobenius.Edge View Post
    I'm glad you are considering it. I think it makes it kind of speak more, say more with less. either way, both ways have their appeal.
    Past considering, I am planning to make the adjustment. I agree with your statement there too, it does say more with less (in addition to being more unique), I am grateful to you for suggesting it! Thank you!
    Gallery | Web | Downloads | Bot Siege - Web - Thread

How about instead of the lasers being yellow.....red???
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOT SIEGE8.png 
Views:	225 
Size:	404.1 KB 
ID:	223550

Name:	BOT SIEGE9.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	223554

Name:	BOT SIEGE11.png 
Views:	215 
Size:	563.3 KB 
ID:	223555
    btw for the game do you need any animators??? I'd love to contribute my animation to this game!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fergoblender/videos?view=0
    Last edited by Nathan.Ferguson; 19-Mar-13 at 23:34.

Originally Posted by Nathan.Ferguson View Post
    That was actually my original color but I didn't use it because I didn't feel it was far enough (on the color wheel) from orange. So for example, if you desaturate the image the orange and the red is almost indistinguishable and I thought confused the intent.

Name:	BOT SIEGE9.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	223554
    Now this is a nice idea and hadn't crossed my mind. It's definately more interesting then the placeholder I have currently up. Just to share, the font I have been using so far is "Army Condensed" @ http://www.abstractfonts.com/font/10587 I'm still not certain it's the best font as I still feel I'm flirting with that line between "toon" and "serious" (i.e. quake vs. WoW), but I also wonder if I am just thinking too hard about something silly.

btw for the game do you need any animators??? I'd love to contribute my animation to this game!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fergoblender/videos?view=0
    Absolutely (I appreciate the offer)! I don't have a lot done for assets yet so the list is currently short, but:

The main character I would steer clear of as I want to replace her still.

They will need the standard fare of animations (which I don't have a thought out complete list yet) so I will just rattle some quick basics needed in the NLA.
    • Turn left
    • Turn right
    • Backup
    • Walk
    • Run
    • Idle
    • Destroyed
    • Jump?
    • Climb?

I'll add getting list to a more "official state" to my backlog, I think I can do that on short order. I'll also try to figure out the "logistics" of getting things submitted, reviewed and into "mainline" (a little more complex then source code).

Also, as you go, feedback on the rigs what hinders and what helps will be valuable. I want them tailored to help the animator not hinder. So I can make adjustments and use that when making new stuff too.

... and above all, have fun. I don't intend for there to be any pressure or stress here, just a fun casual project.

This little bugger is a more complex fellow then meets the eye, he's taking lots of time! I'm finally (after 2 days) getting to his paint layers. Probably about ~70% of the way done. There's also a small "Easter Egg" hidden, I'm not showing you all yet, but it makes 5 year olds laugh.

Name:  Render5.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  92.6 KB

Oh ya, his metrics (I don't think I posted them before): 1132 verts, 2344 edges, 1246 faces, 2196 tris

Originally Posted by Quandtum View Post
    They will need the standard fare of animations (which I don't have a thought out complete list yet) so I will just rattle some quick basics needed in the NLA.
    • Turn left
    • Turn right
    • Backup
    • Walk
    • Run
    • Idle
    • Destroyed
    • Jump?
    • Climb?

I'll get started on them as soon as possible Thanks!

Nice work Q

I think your next item, should be a working clock in the bge.....

you have an amazing detail level, and eye for texture....

I think you need to master physical mechanical systems soon.....

then your rigs will not require "animations" but instead have a controller that has properties like walk, and turn.....

here is my "logic movment rig" X = each animation length -1

So in the "leg" you have always copy property "Move" from "controller"
    and have if property move = whatever apply torque or force,

this proprty when you press "forward" will go Move= 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ......and so on for your "force map length" or it can advance and control a action,

and pressing "back"
    Move=-1, -2, -3,-4,-5, and so on.....

Item 1 -Controller
    Properties
    - Move
    - Turn
    -Jump
    -Fire
    Sensor_________________________________ Controller____________________________Actuator
    Key press (move back)-----------------------------------and-----------------------------------------------------Property Move=-1
    (state_check)Property if move =0------------------<
    Key press (move forward)--------------------------------and-----------------------------------------------------Property Move=1

Property (interval min=1 max=X) -----------------------------------and-------------------------------------------------property Add 1
    Property = X+1------------------------------------------and-----------------------------------------------------------Property Move =0

Property = interval(min-X max-1)------------------------------------------and---------------------------------------------------property add -1
    property = -X-1--------------------------------------------------------------and---------------------------------------property Move =0

(Copy this for left and right using property Turn to replace move)

in other words, if you break the controller, the whole thing goes limp , AKA ragdoll
    with no python....
    Last edited by BluePrintRandom; 20-Mar-13 at 21:27.
    Break it and remake it - Wrectified
    If you cut off a head, the hydra grows back two.
    "headless upbge"

Originally Posted by BluePrintRandom View Post
    Nice work Q

I think your next item, should be a working clock in the bge.....
    Actually, I got a jump on that last Saturday night already. I'm working to get it to fire like this here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDAN7nNJteo&amp;t=55s or here @ 55 seconds.

The sound effects have already been rounded up as well: http://opengameart.org/content/bot-siege
    The specific one being -> http://opengameart.org/content/4-projectile-launches

Of course this here is what keeps me jazzed to keep working at this http://opengameart.org/content/clearside-assimilator It's sort of become the muse to my project.

I got snagged up on the armature not tracking the target in the BGE. Watched over an hour of tutorials and tinkered more with it. Adjusting parenting and a bunch of stuff but didn't get it working. Need to do more reading first, I want to have a good understanding.

I am excited to see some life in the models, I think it could be damn good! Patience though

Past considering, I am planning to make the adjustment. I agree with your statement there too, it does say more with less (in addition to being more unique), I am grateful to you for suggesting it! Thank you!
    You're welcome. I'm glad I could help. I have to say it looks great on the newest picture you added.
    My portfolio: here

I came up with an idea to still use this .

So in our world we will still have TV screens and animated billboards and such. One or two animations..

1.) Start with the original logo with the pew-pews that you have there (because now it makes them more bold). The red pew-pews will fade and the remainder will roll counter clockwise to its new position while revealing "Blastco" text (think cheesy commercial).

2.) Same as #1 except the scene starts with the BA-Mk.II and fades to the begining of #1. i.e. the silouhette of the BA-MK. II becomes the original logo with the pew-pews. This would be a more involved "commercial".

The commercials will try to highlight how Blastco has been keeping the world safe and at peace for the last X years. Horribly cliche, cheesy yet sadly relate-able and plausible. I think that will be fitting with the non-serious seriousness we have going on here.

Originally Posted by Frobenius.Edge View Post
    You're welcome. I'm glad I could help. I have to say it looks great on the newest picture you added.
    Thank you

I got snagged up on the armature not tracking the target in the BGE. Watched over an hour of tutorials and tinkered more with it. Adjusting parenting and a bunch of stuff but didn't get it working. Need to do more reading first, I want to have a good understanding.
    Always run armature in the armature......

pain in the @$$

"headless upbge"

Originally Posted by BluePrintRandom View Post
    Always run armature in the armature......

pain in the @$$

I was hoping one of the "perks" to sticking with the BGE would be able to take advantage of some of the solvers. I'm still not convinced I didn't newb something up or that it can't be solved with python script (which I have yet to learn).

I also see on Blendswap the constraint based rigging (death to armatures). I haven't looked at it but I am very curious to see what all that is about and maybe a solution that way works better with the BGE.

Rigid body joints + torque = true rag doll that is infinitely animate-able in game

tricky but true

No parenting!

all "targets" are Rigid bodies, 6dof linked this means only "deformed bodies" are parented to armatures, but the armatures do not impart any physics, the invisable "joint solver" is the collision box, and IK target for the armature,

So for the deformed items "skeleton" is invisible rigid bodies with armatures bound to them,

Need any examples?

Check this out (it's a mess I know)
    but the lizard is a physical moving rag doll that hunts by sight......
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "headless upbge"

I was hoping one of the "perks" to sticking with the BGE would be able to take advantage of some of the solvers. I'm still not convinced I didn't newb something up or that it can't be solved with python script (which I have yet to learn).
    Do you have a .blend you could share? I'm somewhat savvy in tracking down BGE config issues.

Originally Posted by kastoria View Post
    Do you have a .blend you could share? I'm somewhat savvy in tracking down BGE config issues.
    That would be kind of you. I tried to put it on my Google drive:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-9T...it?usp=sharing

but I'm not very good at it. If it's not able to be gotten I can just post it here. I didn't pack the textures either so sorry for the "white-ness".

This little bugger is a more complex fellow then meets the eye, he's taking lots of time! I'm finally (after 2 days) getting to his paint layers. Probably about ~70% of the way done. There's also a small "Easter Egg" hidden, I'm not showing you all yet, but it makes 5 year olds laugh.

Name:  Render5.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  92.6 KB

Oh ya, his metrics (I don't think I posted them before): 1132 verts, 2344 edges, 1246 faces, 2196 tris
    yeah Turrets are a bit on the complex side in the GE I find. I tried to animate and program my Aperture Science Turret model and struggled with getting it to work.

That would be kind of you. I tried to put it on my Google drive:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-9T...it?usp=sharing

but I'm not very good at it. If it's not able to be gotten I can just post it here. I didn't pack the textures either so sorry for the "white-ness".
    That's kind of tricky.

Questions:
    - What version of Blender are you working with?
    - What is supposed to trigger the deployment of the turret or have you gotten that far.

What version of Blender are you working with?
    Currently 2.65 r52859. I can pull the update if needed. I usually do that in between models.

What is supposed to trigger the deployment of the turret or have you gotten that far.
    I didn't get that far. The intent is when the player gets to a proximity (100 feet as an example) it would pop up, probably an idle scan until the player comes into firing range at (say 80 feet for example). If player leaves proximity range it would go back to sleep.

I have no idea how realistic that is tho or what the tradeoffs of complexity and performance per unit would be.

I have your problem mostly nailed down but it still needs a few tweaks to get things to be 'proper'.

1) The mesh of your turret (Cylinder.009) is parented to "Armature" with a type "Armature". I've seen BGE tutorials that used
    this setup but I've never been able to get it to work for me. I've always used the "normal" way of parenting the mesh to
    the armature and having an Armature modifier on the mesh. In this case, the mesh's parent shows up as 'Armature' with
    a type of 'Object'.

So to get this to work I unparented Cylinder.009 from Armature then reparenetd them with "Armature Deform". I then went into the
    modifier stack and moved the Armature modifier above the edge split modifier. BGE armatures work best at the top of the stack. I think in general they don't work if another modifier changes the geometry before them. So 'subsurf' and 'edge split' seem like prime candidates there.

2) Also, on your Armature, I added an 'Armature' actuator of 'Run Armature' driven by an 'Always' sensor. I believe that this is the magic sauce that gets the BGE to recalculate all the constraints of the armature.

I only have 2.66a right now. So if my instructions don't work for you, I can try to get Blender 1.65 later and do the mods directly.

Thanks kastoria! Wes Burke made me do it (side note, his tutorials are very entertaining, I love the one where he is struggling with the lawn mower outside). Back on task, I'll give it a shot here, and I'll also update (better to up-rev then down-rev). In Linux I actually create a symbolic link to the Blender I use, so I can toggle on a whim. I'll let you know how it goes.

Apart from that, what was your opinion of the rig (please, be harsh and honest)?

Here's a look at the SENTRY-Mk. II textures. I'll hold him up for a day or two (tho I'm excited to share him) just to keep looking over the maps and trying to sniff out all the blemishes.

EDIT: Off topic but this is an excellent artist on sketchfab, loving the work!
    https://sketchfab.com/clubernas1/recent
    Last edited by Quandtum; 21-Mar-13 at 15:24.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast