Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

DDD's (Denis Zholob) WIP Collection

Decided to make a WIP dump...
    Sometimes I have an idea/inspiration and start modeling but don't finish, however I come back to the model later... Other times I do quick scenes that don't really need WIP thread for, or really good enough to but into finished works.
    Instead of all this stuff just sitting on my HDD I thought I's put it up here for all to see and critique/offer suggestions/ideas etc...

If you like what you see, visit my website http://www.deniszholob.com/ to see more.
    My portfolio here: http://deniszholob.carbonmade.com/

Currently working on (See Last Page):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elara-2016-04-24.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	757.6 KB 
ID:	433862  

Last edited by DDD; 24-Apr-16 at 00:15.
    YouTube - Vimeo - Twitter - FaceBook
    Flickr - Deviant Art - My Website and Portfolio
    Note: Please don't be afraid to give honest critique on my work

Starting off with a model that i left quite some time ago... the original thread was closed some time ago, but here is a Steam punk hat with goggles wip renders. I am quite satisfied with the last one.

Original model with Cycles shaders:

Trying to improve shaders, changed bg:

Latest shaders, and geometry tweaking:

Last images run through the compositor and PS

Also modeled a key.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Key_editmode.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	208971
    Last edited by DDD; 27-Dec-12 at 18:06.

Hi DDD. Just to say model sounds good, I prefer the last render but I think you could maybe improve again the picture by making the hat more visible from the background. Have you a rim light ?

Waiting for the textured key

Yeah i got a rim light, but it kinda became half fill half rim from the right... i'll add another to the right side see how that goes... should fix the problem, thanks

Working on something else atm, so ill make the render later
    Last edited by DDD; 27-Dec-12 at 18:07.

Nice DDD I look forward to seeing more stuff:P Keep it up!
    "If it wasn't hard to do it wouldn't be worth doing" - Me
    Checkout my website at www.digitali3d.com Visit my Blender Market here
    Visit my Sketchbook

Yesterday was rendering day (the hat) today is modeling day (the key and...)
    I had this vehicle half way modeled cuz i got stuck on the front bottom section. From the concept image here.

Name:	vehicle.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	208995
    Spent today adding cut outs and fixing topology on the front.

Name:	vehicle_front topology.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	208994

Ah details why do you take so long to perfect???

Name:	vehicle_2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	209012
    Three Quarter View

Name:	vehicle_2_3q.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	209011

Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Ah details why do you take so long to perfect???
    "because we make the difference" say the details
    Anyway, you are on the right way, nice concept and model. Please keepi it up and update soon ! Nice job !

Ok re-rendered the hat. Added the 2nd rim light and some DOF - I think Ill call it done (for now? cuz ill probably try and tweak it some months from now when i have more experience)

Name:	SteamPunk Goggles+Hat_10_Comp_PS.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	365.1 KB 
ID:	209083
    Last edited by DDD; 28-Dec-12 at 16:24.

Haaa, much better I think. Nice work !

Hmm i like this wip dump. I can jump around projects if i get tired of doing the same thing...
    For example i dug out yet another model that i left unfinished and gave it a render, now maybe ill work on it.
    Andrea racer - original concept here. This one has lots of details...

Name:	AndreaRacer_01.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	209094

huu yes, a lot of details. But it is a pretty concept. On my own side, I can't switch between projects... 'cause I won't finish any of them :-D Nice start.

Lots of cool stuff in this thread, can't wait to see how it comes along!
    With reguard to the final hat image, how did you create the light falloff in the overhead light that shoots down onto the hat? Is that actually falloff from the light, or is it simply a vignette effect on the edges of the frame done in compositing?
    My Visual Effects Channel: Classy Dog Films > http://www.youtube.com/user/ClassyDogFilms

Thanks guys, here is the lighting setup for the hat.

Name:	hat light setup.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	209795
    I got a yellow key light on the right of the camera, a blue fill on the left. Initially i had one white rim light in the back of the hat which i split into two. With the rim lights the gradient was too sharp on the ground so i added a soft light pointing to that direction (not lighting the hat but the ground instead) And i have another soft orange light in from of the camera some distance away to give the hat a more yellowish tone, i also changed the "ground light" to a yellow color too...
    here is the raw render (sorry for low quality, didn't want to re-render a full hd 200 sample image ...

Name:	SteamPunk Goggles+Hat_10_raw_LQ.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	209794

Wow, that's a lot of lights! They say the more lights you add, the harder it can be to work with them; but you obviously know what you're doing with them!
    My Visual Effects Channel: Classy Dog Films > http://www.youtube.com/user/ClassyDogFilms

Well i always start with a simple 3 point setup and then tweak it to get the result i want... so happened i added 3 more... but as i described they have their purposes. I am actually surprised that my lighting actually turns out quite alright. I don't really have much experience with "proper lighting", i mostly wing it most of the times (going from the 3 pt setup). There is much to improve, as lighting is really key to setting the mood of an image and i have not quite grasped how to do that yet completely...baby steps and practice huh...

Well, I'll certainly say you're on the right path to being proficient at managing your lights. Have you ever visited strobist.com ? The guy who runs it has a great set of tutorials/guides on there, to learn about lighting. It's a photographer's resource, but you can use practically all the same concepts in Blender (especially now that we have real indirect lighting with Cycles). It's a great site, and you can find lots of new posts on there pretty regularly.

Wow thanks for the awesome resource James, been doing some reading, and i want to try out the techniques *(esp this basic one: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03...flash-and.html ) with a real camera, but i dont have a dslr unfortunately.

No problem! Actually, you really don't even need a dslr to take advantage of flash stuff. I know dslr can be a little easier to shoot manually with, but as long as you can still adjust settings, almost any camera (with a hot shoe) will do. I use vivitar 285HV's that I buy off ebay for around $40. They're not automatic anything, but that just forces you to learn faster. If you're really into photography, I would say start with learning lights. You get the most bang for your buck through lights, compared to buying lenses/other cameras/etc.

I've been slowly putting together some light modifers I've been making in Blender. When I have a decent little collection of them, I'd be happy to share them with you (and everyone else reading, of course. As long as you know the secret handshake!)

What do you mean "light modifiers"?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast