XVIII century portrait

Hi :slight_smile: here’s my latest work - XVIII century portrait. Soft: blender (BI) + Gimp

Beautiful work!

I must say, this is is an incredible portrait. The character’s image has an immediate presence that grabs my attention. The modeling, the lighting, the skin, the texturing/shading, all beautifully executed. The hair also fantastic, it has a complexity to it that keeps it from feeling artificial. A difficult task to create a portrait that is not only technically beautiful, but also presents a character to us that commands our attention. Well done, andy_a!
And lest I forget, the eyes are especially life-like and striking!

Excellent! Very nice, but I think you mean XIX century portrait, 1800 to 1899 is the 19th century. :wink:

Stan Pancakes - thx :slight_smile:

James Candy - thank you very much sir for such kind words :slight_smile:

Grimm - thanks :slight_smile: I was thinking exactly about last decade of XVIII (years 1790-1800) but you’re right he can be XIX century also :slight_smile:

There is one thing bothering me about this piece and that is the short hair on his face, fix it or remove it.

I disagree (respectfully), I feel that the short white hairs covering his face are part of what make the image great. They may be a bit pronounced, but I like them. Besides, it’s not uncommon for us to become quite fuzzy as we get older!

Amazing! Probably the best face in blender.
But I am confused in some things if they are just a photo or the detail is there.

The hair is amazing. And little touches like the texture on his adam’s apple really pull the piece together! :slight_smile:

great work! 5 stars! :slight_smile:

PS: do you have any wip thread?

shadowlich - thx :slight_smile: I made them smaller or more opaque but in the end still liked hairy look the most (probably because I was thinking about making a werewolf next… :P)

Bao2 - thanks :slight_smile: it’s all 3d because I wanted to make it animation friendly.

Sdados - thank you :slight_smile: nope no wip, but because you ask I stitched few test renders.

thanks for the screens andy! When I see such works I think any info is a great resource to learn! :slight_smile:

Really impressive everything… from modeling and sculpting, to lighting and materials. Well done!

Great work! I’m a sucker for a good portrait :yes:

I really like the contrast and “sinister” feel to it.
Your should put it in an elaborate Victorian frame. I think that would complete it nicely.

That is a really cool portrait!! Is just me or this guy looks a LOT like Jason Statham in that first render without all the hair…?

Great work andy_a :yes:

Wow! Fantastic!
Is he all BI or the hair is render in cycles?

Really a fantastic work dude!

Just 3 words for this artwork - fan tas tic. It deserve a forum gallery at once.

Why is this not in the gallery yet? Awesome work! 5 *. Really cant tell it from an 18th century painting by a great artist!

theLuthier - thank you. I’m still remember first time I saw your Steve Carell portrait and it made huge impression on me :slight_smile:

Storrboy - thx, that was my goal and I like the frame idea, probably will use it in some future work :slight_smile:

julperado - thx, you got me, I’d used Statham as reference (wanted to make him badass and a little bit evil) :slight_smile:

decamino - thank you, it’s all BI (I prefer to render hair with models to comping it in post) :slight_smile:

mookie3d - thanks, Dzieki za komenta i rekomendacje :slight_smile:

pavan8085 - thanky you very much :slight_smile:

here’s shaded sculpt (sculpted in blender)

Absolutely love it!!! High level in every single aspect!!!