Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Wow. I love this addon! So nice that you have decided to develop it again!

Added a roadmap to the end of the article to give you guys an idea where I'd like to take the addon.

cheers,

-- Michel.
    Check out my new add-on, IDMapper, or the other ones on my Blender Market store.
    There you will also find my e-books 'Creating Add-ons for Blender', 'Open Shading Language for Blender' and the new 'Blender Add-on Cookbook'.
    Main blog: http://blenderthings.blogspot.com

Great roadmap! It seems like you would like a lot of control which is nice. Then certain settings + shapes can define differen species of trees and we could build a little procedural garden of tree types

Can we draw the branches by grease pencil (I requested considering this before)
    thanks

I'm a fan of you varkenvarken.... I hope you could develop all that you wrote in your roadmap...

Good work!!!

@ejnaren: I would indeed like to distribute a small set of presets along w. the addon.

@swathi: technically that would be possible I guess but I don't see how this would be useful as there's no control: after you have drawn a line w. greasepencil you cannot manipulate it other than deleting it again. Therefore i'd rather build the possibility to create a cloud of endpoints from a simple edges-only mesh. That way you have full control. But maybe me not seeing the point of it is just because I hardly ever use the grease pencil ;-)

@marcatore: thank you ;-)
    Check out my new add-on, IDMapper, or the other ones on my Blender Market store.
    There you will also find my e-books 'Creating Add-ons for Blender', 'Open Shading Language for Blender' and the new 'Blender Add-on Cookbook'.

example of control with grease pencil -- bsurface addon -- I recomend grease pencil with converted curve control.
    what is in mind is something like treesketch for ipad. Let me explain ... We can draw(or mark) trunk of the tree with grease pencil. It will give the exact shape of the tree. Again "I have no idea how defficult it is". Thank you for your time
    Note:I love the use of grouped objects to get the shape of the tree in this new tree addon

@varkenvarken Nice! If you need it I can help you with textures for some trees common in Scandinavia and northern Europe

@swathi: thnx, i'll check the bsurface addon for inspiration.

@ejnaren: for the trunk i am looking at a procedural texture right now because even blended box mapping doesn't look great and designing a uv-unwrap for a tree is challenging (to put it mildly :-) However 2 or 3 leaf textures that could be freely distributed would be nice (and if one of them could be a pine twig w. several needles it would be even better). So if you have useful stuff you like to share, please do and i'll incorporate it.

Sure, Will do.

@ejnaren: cool!

Meanwhile I'd like to show you my first attempt at a procedural bark shader. In proper lighting (here Topanga Forest B by Blochi from hdrilabs) is does look all that bad for a first attempt:

proceduralbark001.png

The basic pattern is just a Wave texture set to 'Bands' but the trick is to feed it the 'normal' coordinates. That way the bands or strips will be mostly aligned along the branches. Suitably distorted and with some voronoi noise added to break the pattern it starts to look like the bark you might see om some deciduous trees, i.e. with elongated vertical cracks.

I added some xtra greenish coloration on the top side of the branches to simulate moss by separating out the z-coordinate of the normal (which will be neare 1 on top of branches). Same trick might be used for the x or y coordinate to discolor the branches on the windward side for example. The noodle looks like this :

proceduralbark001noodle.png

C&C welcome of course and once finished I will incorporate it as part of the addon

cheers,

-- Michel.

I just commited a new version (0.2.4) to GitHub that includes a material_lib.blend file with a single 'Bark' material. This bark material is appended from that library and applied to the branches. The material is not (yet) the material shown in the previous post but now the code is there to easily add material to the distribution without having to fiddle with the code itself, which allows for the separation of material development and code development.

To (re)install the addon, please follow the instructions on the opening page of the GitHub repo (especially if you have installed a previous version).

cheers,

-- Michel.

version 0.2.5 adds apical control (but that's not finished yet) and a 'Leaves' vertex group that can be used to control the density of a leaves particle system. In the future a particle system will be added automatically.

Cheers,

-- Michel.

This really looks promissing!! I can imagine a lot of uses for this script!
    Thanks Michel

@varkenvarken The vertex group feature could be used to make summer, fall, winter, spring presets with different leaves..?

@ejnaren: Yes I guess, might still be the same vertex group/particle system but with a different number of particles and a different group of leaf objects.

The idea by the way is not to program all those settings but to create a few particle systems to choose from (indeed four seasons might be nice) and include them in the library that is distributed along with the addon. Particle systems can be linked/appended just like materials and that saves a lot of development time becacuase a particle system has a ton of options :-) An added bonus is nit having to worry about dependencies; summer leaves for the summer particle system for example will be linked/appened automatically.

The greatest challenge i think is to get a good looking particle system: we don't want the leaves to point straight in the direction of the normals on the branches but to point more or less horizontally and/or slightly hanging down independent of the orientation of the branches. Afaik the only wat to do this is to add an emitter mesh with faces that have normals pointing in the right direction (i.e. more or less horizontal), but if someone knows a way to achieve this in a particle system directly, let me know ;-)

Hi ! Thats a realy cool addon! Great work. I will test an play with that procedurals too. Maybe with some good results. I`m quite sure there can be done a lot. Maybe by mixing all ideas and things together the texture and shading will become realy good. Think the node setup should have some input parameters to make everything easy to manipulate. Like the moos group for example. Thanks a lot varkenvarken !

@Piet: you're right about the procedural material needing some controls and that's why I am currently working on distributing a library of particle settings and materials (just a .blend file, Blenders Python API provides all sorts of stuff to manipulate them, saving tons of coding) along with the addon. The coding is as good as done, just ironing out some inconsistencies now, but once finished it's easy to concentrate on the materials and particles (leaves). That'll make it simpler for others to contribute, even non-coders :-)

Anyway, glad you like it ;-)

-- Michel.

Originally Posted by varkenvarken View Post
    @Piet: you're right about the procedural material needing some controls and that's why I am currently working on distributing a library of particle settings and materials (just a .blend file, Blenders Python API provides all sorts of stuff to manipulate them, saving tons of coding) along with the addon. The coding is as good as done, just ironing out some inconsistencies now, but once finished it's easy to concentrate on the materials and particles (leaves). That'll make it simpler for others to contribute, even non-coders :-)

Anyway, glad you like it ;-)

-- Michel.
    Hi Michel,

o.k... i did some tests and found a problem with subdiv and skin modifier. Turning on and of the Sudivide UVs and or Optimal Display will solve the strange texture distortion.
    Attachment 291249
    I did also test arround with a procedural tree shader... just in case you are interested take a look. Think looks quite good.
    Attachment 291250
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...hader_V1.blend
    cheers and thanks for your work!
    Last edited by Piet; 23-Feb-14 at 11:50.

@Piet: I'll fix the uv subdivision in the next version, thanks for your contribution! Also, your bark texture looks very nice. May I include with the materials & particle system libray that is distributed with the addon? (I'll put in credits in the file of course :-)

I have just uploaded version 0.2.8 to GitHub and it comes with a bundled library. From this library the end user can select any material which a name that starts with 'Bark' (currently just the bark material that I showed a few posts ago, but it's the thought that counts :-) and from any number of particle systems (complete with a group of objects representing leaves or other objects). At the moment I have included a spring, summer and autumn leaf particle system with appropriately coloured leaves. These are just plain colored object with a hand drawn alpha map but the idea is to replace them woth proper textures once we have them available.

I am working on some example images and some documentation and I'll post a link to them as soon as they are ready.

cheers,

-- Michel.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast