Good tip for creating a felt like material

A lot of things changed in Cycles and with materials so I am curious if maybe somebody knows a better way to create a felt like material as seen below:

This is a node set-up I used sometimes and it worked fine.

did you test with some velvet mat node
should look better!

happy cycles

how about this one

happy cycles

From a close up I found that noise with a distortion value works well, and mix two noise patterns together.

Color Ramp also seems to be better for tweaking the color value distribution.

From a distance you can however see a different growth more like lines or so and Rick that seems somewhat similar to the right image you have. How did you do this?

Wow… very nice … thanks for the share…

did not yet !
it’s a felt pic only
i did add it to the UVsphere to give some felt lines for the mat

i already ask question in OSL thread to have an OSL texture like that with some lines
hope someone can come up with a proc textureosl or not like that it would be nice to have a new proc texture

happy cycles

Yah but you guys are mixing and matching some of these nodes to do things I haven’t thought of…

Norvman

you are welcome using them. Not claiming I am a pro at it. There is a Cycles Material thread and the guy there is amazing!

I’m going to bookmark this thread. Then I’ll have a felt tip marker.

:RocknRoll:

Well I’m following this one…
http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?278285-Yet-Another-Thread-about-Cycles-Materials

and this one…
http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?273033-Sculpting-with-UVs-and-displacements

got another one you can suggest?
I’m like you I’m trying to learn all I can about cycles…

I was just making a really stupid pun. But this is a very cool material. Clever work, cekuhnen.

I did not really understood this as offensive but rather as a good silly non-sense joke.
I smiled when reading it.

Stay tuned for the upcoming results.

I got my material samples to scan and take photos from.

How the material will look from a distance will be interesting and because of the felt like surface
also the highlights of fiber and bump texture will be hard to make.

Here is an interesting photoshop approach
http://www.flergalicious.com/blog/2008/10/14/realistic-felt-tutorial/

ou could also make a real 3D models in blender then bake it
brt not certain how realist this would be!

i’ll try to make a test for this!

let us know how it goes

happy cycles

the object I am talking about is roughly the as big as a couche.
so scanned felt textures are not a go.

I remember the Charles Eames chair somebody did and I think they used particles - fur with it.

found a way to make some curvy lines
might be able from this to make some good mat

happy cycles

Here’s a try at it …

this came out looking more like the filters that go in my HVAC unit in my house than felt however…

Haven’t tested this is a variety of lighting environments, but it should be a good starting point.

Attachments

RLR_felt_texture.zip (117 KB)

working on this material made me realize that Blender’s procedurals and Cycles procedurals are not on the same level. Maybe it is me, but it seems Cycles versions are slimmed down in functionality.

The big challenge is that from a distance you can generate some closely looking textures with noise and fBM nodes.
But from a closer distance felt will more look like this:

aldo depends on the type of felt!
commercial looks more like first pic in first post

this last pic would be more i guess like some industrial felt!
and this looks more like hair then any proc texture i’v seen !

i remember some script or BGE sim doing some spagetti like that
may be someone can remember what it was and how to do it or a link !

i’m still trying to redo the one i did before and i could not find in which file i did it !

but i’ll work again tomorrow on this!

happy cycles