Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Fixed a small bug Greg Zaal found. Check http://blenderthings.blogspot.nl/201...r-bug-fix.html for details.

cheers,

-- Michel.
    Check out my new add-on, IDMapper, or the other ones on my Blender Market store.
    There you will also find my e-books 'Creating Add-ons for Blender', 'Open Shading Language for Blender' and the new 'Blender Add-on Cookbook'.
    Main blog: http://blenderthings.blogspot.com

Look what's going on here:
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...d-Textures-%29

We should take care of it that the "marketing" of the Script is very professional (at least the quality of CG-COOKIE tutorials or even better !).

Else every professional will think: Oh no, another Blenderkid is playing LEGO.
    Blender has a huge potential, but we have to use it the right way !

Kind regards
    Alain
    Artwork - Farnsworth House
    Equipment - Intel Pentium 2.8 GHz 2 Cores, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX TITAN 8GB, Blender 2.72, Win 7 64 Bit, NVIDIA Driver current version

Hi all,

the floor board generator has gotten a great reception so far and we received a lot of feedback (and most of it positive ;-) so we were wondering if there was anything left that needed to be included?

cheers
    Check out my new add-on, IDMapper, or the other ones on my Blender Market store.
    There you will also find my e-books 'Creating Add-ons for Blender', 'Open Shading Language for Blender' and the new 'Blender Add-on Cookbook'.

Hi, there is still this problem with boolean destroying the UV mapping. But maybe it's a problem from Blender and your add-on can't do anything about that.

You may also try to implement new floorboard patterns.

Originally Posted by varkenvarken View Post
    Hi all,

the floor board generator has gotten a great reception so far and we received a lot of feedback (and most of it positive ;-) so we were wondering if there was anything left that needed to be included?

cheers
    In general you see what's needed if you have a look here:
    http://www.cg-source.com/floorgenerator.php

Missing Features at the moment is:
    -It's determining a free horizontal shape to fill with boards
    -Later we could add the same for walls, but floor is more important at the moment
    -Implementation of the Floormaterial (the same as I did here) for easy controlling Random of HUE, SAT and COL of each board
    -... I will think for more as soon as I find a little time :-)

Kind regards
    Alain
    Last edited by Alain; 14-Jul-14 at 05:17.
    Equipment - Intel Pentium 2.8 GHz 2 Cores, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX TITAN 8GB, Blender 2.72, Win 7 64 Bit, NVIDIA Driver current version

Anyone notice any problem with version 2.71 I'm able to install the addon and but when I call the mesh Add Floor Board Mesh, nothing appears in the panel to edit the parameters.

Thanks,
    Nicolas

varkenvarken

It's quite an impressive addon. However, imho, it lacks one general thing that will be far useful for an artists. It's generation of planks from existing random shaped mesh. I mean, when modeling the room, or the whole level of a house quite often the floor plane isn't a plane. It's a n-gon in most cases. And if one could produce planks in just one click to exactly fit the floor shape, without dealing with boolean and knife afterwards, it will be just perfect.
    Last edited by suomi; 28-Aug-14 at 01:32.

@suomi: a few revisions back we tried to add a boolean modifier automatically to cut out the shape of the floor from a rectangular path of planks. Using a boolean modifier works for the geometry but unfortunately the uv-maps will be horribly distorted. Working from a floor plan is however the most requested feature so I am investigating it again :-)

Currently I am thinking about an approach that does not use modifiers but does a geometric intersection (with a floor plan mesh) itself for each plank as it is generated. This is not very difficult I think, but to keep it manageble the floor plan mesh problably should be flat (which of course for most floor plans it would).

I'll keep you posted

Boolean intersect with UV mapping textures distorts (disapper) only intersection parts, faces (red pencil). Textures just disappear but they are only side faces anyway.
    Black area is a floor plan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JuhaW; 29-Aug-14 at 10:27.

@JuhaW: that looks better than it used to be :-) I think that the latest version of the carve library (the boolean library that is incorporated in Blender) works better than before.

That means that it might be a good idea if we put back in an option in the addon to refer to a floorplan mesh and use that to add a boolean.

Still there will be issues with the side material but it might be possible to select those side faces and create a new uv map for them.

Yes, and before applying boolean, edit mode, unselect all and after applying boolean only all intersected plank faces are selected, that might help your coding. Or floor plane material is also in plank object material slot, then all intersected plank faces are that material.
    Last edited by JuhaW; 30-Aug-14 at 11:06.

restarted on the floorplan functionality, documented in this blog article. Note that there isn't a proper workflow yet (I do propose one, and of course suggestions are welcome)

[edit: made some improvements, it is now quite easy to use a mesh with some selected faces as a floorplan. Workflow is documented in the blog article]

After some experimenting I realised that the key to getting booleans to work properly is that all normals should point in the right direction. That still doesn't give us proper uv-coordinates on the sides but that can be solved later, the mesh geometry at lest looks ok to me.

cheers,

-- Michel.

PS> I realize I will have to work on (re)integrating the contributed wood material by Alain.
    Last edited by varkenvarken; 31-Aug-14 at 13:34.

@Michel

Thanks for the update and thanks for including Woodmaterial ;-)

To select faces of a meshobject is not a good workflow for architecture visuals.
    Since the Boolean Modifier does not destroy the UV-Map anymore I suggest to simply to it like this:

Floorgen_Workflow_Suggestion_01_030914.zip

At the moment when I update the Floorboad Parameters then the Material and the Boolean-Modifier gets lost.
    It should be saved while doing changes on the Floorboard Parameters.

Kind regards
    Alain

Nice looking addon. I wish I could get it to work in Blender 2.72. - As someone else mentions on this thread, I can add the floorboards but not adjust the parameters. Usually, when I can't get something to work it's my own fault - is anyone else having this problem?
    My images | Shades of Gold and Crimson | Summer Thicket | Tree vid.
    I'm not an artist. I'm a hack.

@guitaratom47, did you look in the floorgenerator panel of the modifier options? Because contrary to most addons this one tries to behave a bit like a modifier (the ootion values are also persistent so can be tweaked again later) so its options are NOT in the tools section. This seemed a good idea at the time, but you are not the only one confused by this setup, so it might be a good idea to relocate the options to the more conventional position

FOUND IT!!! Thank you varkenvarken! I plan on having some fun now...

[edit] Don't change a thing - I love being able to tweak as I go and not have to worry about all the controls disappearing. Is it possible to put a warning in the tool section about where the controls actually are? Also, it might be nice to have an option to remove the bottom faces of the floorboards as many times they might not be needed and extra geometry means extra memory, though it's easy enough to delete those faces if necessary. Love the UV map. Thanks again!
    Last edited by guitartom47; 30-Dec-14 at 20:02.
    My images | Shades of Gold and Crimson | Summer Thicket | Tree vid.
    I'm not an artist. I'm a hack.

@guitartom47: adding a notice in the tools section is doable I think, I'll put it on my list. An option to remove the bottom faces is slightly more involved but I'll have a look at it.

Hi guys! I really appreciate this script. But since the first versions I noticed a problem, that is the materials assigned to the mesh are removed on every change of the parameters, which is very bad.

So I tried to add this feature by myself, and I succeded! I took the 0.15 version (I hope is the latest) and I added a pair of functions that take the list of materials of the object and put it in a list, and then reassign them to the object once the mesh is regenerated. Then it randomly assign a material of the stack to each face of the object.

view.jpg

Unfortunatelly I noticed later that the way the boards are generated is changed since the first versions, where the solidify modifier was used to give thickness (wasn't it better to do so?). So my way to assign the board to the materials (or viceversa) must be changed. But I think this is a good start to fix this problem, so here it is the 0.16 version. planks1_01.zip

So try it to see if is everything ok so far. Oh, I addedo also an option to tell if the script has to preserve the materials or not.

Bye!
    Last edited by Lell; 08-Feb-15 at 08:35.

First, I just wanted to say thanks for making this great add-on; it can really come in handy. Secondly, and I don't know why I had not thought of posting this here sooner, I just wanted to let everyone know about some node groups I finished about a month or two ago that will give a little bit different Multitexture functionality to this add-on. It's not perfect but it does still work pretty well. You can find it on Blendswap here: http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/77019 If anyone has difficulty figuring out how to use it, I would be glad to help if I can.

Lell -
    That's great you're working on a way to do the Multitexture functionality as part of the floor board generator add-on. I don't know any programming, so I don't know if it would be possible, but, as you can see at the end of the video I made for the node groups and in the documentation, you might be able to use the vertex color values between 0 and 1 given by the "add random vertex colors" part of the floor board generator to assign the materials randomly. Then it would assign the materials to all of the faces.

@Lell and @ArtOfLight, I think I will have a thorough look at the floorboard generator soon. Checking for any attached materials seems like a sensible idea. Also, as mentioned earlier in this thread, providing some default material to get a quick feel of the results is on my list as well.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast