The script for creating dimensions in Blender

Wrote a script to create dimensions in the Blender. Add > Curve > Dimension

3 types of linear dimensions, 1 radius, 1 diameter, 3 corner and 1 note.

It is possible to change the dimension at any time, even after creation.

To this is added the panel. To change the size to select it and click in the panel - change. To exit the changes that would again add new dimensions to press the button - exit change.

You can add a dimension is very simple, just select the two vertices and go to Object mode and a panel click Add Linear dimension or Add 3D dimension.

Now I can direct in Blender to create the drawings.

The script can be taken at:

Attachments

3 Likes

Hi cwolf3d,
Thks for your job: a great tool now for architects! But why for Blender 2.53, please?
Have you make it for Blender 2.69 too?
Bye
Spirou4D

1 Like

The script works from version 2.53 and above.

Tested Blender 2.69 script works.

I’m using build 60798 and when adding a curve, all the buttons on the left are greyed out. Can you tell me how to use this properly?

1 Like

The gray color of the button may appear if an error occurred.

Close and re-open Blender.

Add dimensions in object mode.

Slightly adjusted the script.

Now when you add the dimension of the script itself is switched in object mode.

Now it is safe to add the dimension of the accident while in edit mode.

But how does it work, please? I have tested with my Blender 2.69 RC2 r60761 and I can add a dimension but in the T panel, I cant change the parameters? Could you us explain, please.

Sorry but if you make change of your add-on, change the release number absolutely, it’s clearer!
I have re-downloaded your add-on only possible on your Yandex.Disk dropbox but no change! Always the same greyed buttons! Your personnal web site link is off: nothing to do! Impossible to connect it!

1 Like

May try to throw in the factory settings. The menu in Blender: File / Load Factory Settings

That should do it.

On my site script archived, so first you need to unzip it and transfer the file add_dimension.py in the folder \ 2.69 \ scripts \ addons

Attachments

But yours is Blender 2.69 RC2 r60 837 , this is THE difference!
I try to download a new one…

Edit: No Absolutely no! With Blender RC2 r 60865 new, always greyed panel!

1 Like

check for undo in your blender settings.

what about existing tool?

1 Like

Nikitron you’re right. Check for global undo in your blender settings: File / User Preferences / Editing / Global Undo

Yes with a new default prefs, no problem but with my old startup.blend file, no!
So I must to make again a new startup file…for the 2.69 release! My old startup file come from the 2.68 release and has saved some bad prefs…

Thanks for your add-on very usable! Very nice job!
Spirou4D

PS: I have understand: The Blender r60761 was a for test special release…

1 Like

Ok does this work with Blender version 2.68a which is the most recent OFFICIAL release of the software. One piece of advise if you write a script write it for the most recent OFFICIAL version. If you MUST use a development version or a RC release candidate version Put the version number in the first post where you announce the script. This saves a lot of confusion and complaints. Remember most people use the official version from Blender Foundation. Unless they are a developer or a technical person and want the latest and greatest features.

OK

P.S. In a plugin uses the standard API. None of the new features.
The plugin should work with the version of Blender 2.53 and above.
I just wanted to help a man with his problem. Version of Blender nothing to do with.

Thank you! It’s very nice and useful!

1 Like

Я так понимаю ты говоришь по русски? :slight_smile:
Огромное тебе спасибо.
Вот бы еще кто нибудь сделал cad панель, появляющуюся при редактировании меша или курва. Ну и консоль как в автокаде, что бы “строить” через стандартные команды автокада.

1 Like

The new version of the script!

Added 2 types of dimension angles and note.

Also in this version of the script added the possibility of changing the measurement at any time, even after creation.
To this is added the panel. To change the size to select it and click in the panel - change.
To exit the changes that would again add new dimensions to press the button - change exit.

And plus something

Corrected errors and added a system of units.

Download the updated script you can at the same links.

Updating of the script.

Now even easier to add dimension.

Just select the two vertices and go to Object mode and a panel click Add Linear dimension

Added the ability to choose a font for the text.

Added types: bottom, back, left.

Added liberty dimension (3D) in the two points.

Selected points may be at different objects.