BGMC 11 | Survival of the Fittest

Hi folks,
here’s my more or less finished game for BGMC 11. Some teasers first:

Short description: A 2-player hotseat game where each player takes control of a swarm of insects. Your goal is to capture the enemy raspberry - just get there and attack it! The controls are very simple:
- Hold Shift + move mouse: Move Camera
- Hold Ctrl + move mouse: Rotate Camera
- MouseWheel: Zoom
- Spacebar: Next unit / bug
- Enter: End turn / next player
- Everything else is Leftclick (Select, move, attack)

You have different types of bugs:
- Pillbug: Tough, but cannot attack.
- Cockroach: Average soldier bug, nothing special
- Rhino: Strong, tough but a little slow
- Grasshopper: Jumps over difficult terrain and units
- Mantis: Can attack flying units
- Housefly: Fast and flying but weak
- Wasp: Flying and strong, but not very tough

Couldn’t host it on blendswap as I used images from cgtextures. See the README included in the file.
Hope you like it! Good luck to everyone, looking forward to trying some of the games and seeing the others played and commented with a great scottish accent! Enough for now, here’s the game:

http://www.qtype.de/BGMC11/SurvivalOfTheFittest.blend

1 Like

This is pure awesomeness!!!

Really professional.
Very good looking graphics and very nice gameplay.
This is not just a game to test and throw away afterwards.

Add some soundeffects and animations for walking from field to field + some attack animations and the game would be perfect.
Unfortunately I have no one to play it against. But coding an AI for such a complex game wouldn’t be an easy task to do.

Nice game, I’d guess it will finish near the top! Good luck. :slight_smile:

that really looks like a pro game.

Just don’t look too closely :wink: Thanks guys!
Has been a lot of fun doing the stuff - and now it’s time to check out all the great entries to learn and copy for the next challenge :smiley: Looking forward to it!

I tested your game and recorded a short video:

The game is uploaded to our host and you can download it here:
http://bit.ly/Survival_of_the_Fittest_by_tigertowel
We will use the same link on our website and in the Youtube video so you can track your stats here:
https://bitly.com/Survival_of_the_Fittest_by_tigertowel+

Took me a while to realize what was going on from those first images, but then I saw the hexagons and realized it was a bug-themed, turn based strategy! And it looks really good. Takes me back to some old games I used to play. I’m glad you got to finish this project.

Thanks Lauta, can’t help it - still love the old hex games :smiley:

Josip, the video you linked us to is marked Private.

Fixed…

Good Work!

Man this is so awesome! Its really encouraging to see what can be done in BGE! Does anyone still have the .blend file for this game? I’m trying to create something similar and I’d like to use this as a reference if possible.

Hey

can anyone share with me the blend?

links are broken!

please!

Since I have been asked by a few people now if I still have the game on my hard drive I decided to upload it here since the original download link is dead for some time.

To make it clear: I am not the author of “survival of the fittest” and sadly couldn’t find any license information in the blend file.

@tigertowel If you don’t want the game published anymore please tell me and I’ll remove the file again.
survivalofthefittest_tigertowel.zip (6.23 MB)

Thanks a lot