Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

[Addon] Advanced UI Menus

Update! Current Version 1.4a

Hello All,
    I want to first start off by saying that the people who created the Pie Menus have done there work very well, the menus look nice and work well. They just don't suit me. So I thought I would make my own version that duplicates the functionality of the pies, but uses the traditional menu style. My menus are context sensitive as well, so that means for example, that if you have an armature object selected and you press tab you will get a menu that contains only modes you can switch to e.g. if you are in object mode it will contain Object(greyed out), Edit and Pose mode.

Version 1.1 Released!

This is a alpha release for the Advanced UI Menus Custom Menu. All features from the Pie Menus addon should be included, as well as some extras that I have added. I have provided two sample custom menus for Object mode and Edit mode, but you can create custom menus for any mode, and for other editors like the node editor, dopesheet, console, etc..

Custom Menu Tutorial:

The Custom Menu is a menu that you can customize with Operators, Separators, Labels, and other menus as you see fit. This is a alpha release and as such is not the easiest to use or the most feature complete, but should still be useful to people. Also if it is to reach it's true potential I will probably need to work closely with the blender UI team. Now onto the tutorial.

To add an Operator open the menu and go down to Add Custom Item, select Operator. A window will come up, type the path to the operator(you can find it by turning on python tooltips and then hovering your mouse over a button or menu entry in the ui) in the Path field, e.g. bpy.ops.mesh.vertices_smooth(). Type something into the Name field if you want the item to have a custom name. If you want the item to have an Icon simply select it from the Icon list. The last field on the window controls where the item is placed in the menu; the item will be placed directly under the item you specify from the list. Finally press the OK button to add the item.
    The rest of the items are added in a similar fashion, however as far as I know there is no easy way to find the path for menus if you want to add them(tooltips only show up for them in some cases).
    If you want to remove an item simply go to Add Custom Item, select Remove Item, and then select the item you wish removed and press OK.

Shortcuts:

Brush menu = V (works in: Sculpt mode, Vertex Paint mode, Weight Paint mode, Texture Paint Mode, Particle Edit Mode)
    Curve menu = W (works in: Sculpt mode, Vertex Paint mode, Weight Paint mode, Texture Paint Mode)
    Custom menu = Alt-MiddleMouse
    Delete menu = X
    Dyntopo menu = Ctrl-D Tap for toggle(on/off), hold for menu
    Layers window = M - Tap for set visible layers, hold for move objects to layers
    Manipulator = Ctrl-Space - Tap for toggle(on/off), hold for menu
    Mesh Selection menu = Ctrl-Tab
    Mesh Extrude = E - Tap for extrude, hold for menu
    Mode menu = Tab - Tap for toggle(last/edit), hold for menu
    Pivot Point menu = .
    Proportional = O - Tap for toggle(last/off), hold for menu
    Proportional falloff = Shift-O
    Shading mode = Z - Tap for toggle(last/wireframe), hold for menu
    Snapping = Shift-Tab - Tap for toggle(on/off), hold for menu
    Stroke menu = E (works in: Sculpt mode, Vertex Paint mode, Weight Paint mode, Texture Paint Mode)
    Symmetry menu = Alt-S (works in: Sculpt mode, Texture Paint Mode)
    Texture menu = R (works in: Sculpt mode, Vertex Paint mode, Texture Paint Mode)
    View menu = Q

Download:
    advanced_ui_menus_1_4a.zip
    *Note: This addon is incompatable with the Pie Menus Official addon, in order to use this addon you must disable Pie Menus Official

HIGHLY UNSTABLE DEVELOPMENT VERSION:
    (for those who are feeling adventurous)
    Github -- switch to branch development

And now because a picture is worth a thousand words:

Advanced_UI_Menus_2015-09-09.jpg
    Last edited by Imaginer; 18-Jan-16 at 08:53. Reason: added link to development version
    Imagination is the eye of the soul. - Joseph Joubert

: Github page

Give us some images! I'm curious what your solution looks like but am nowhere near a blender install.

Updated first post with images.
    Last edited by Imaginer; 16-Jan-16 at 22:07.

Hi Imaginer,

I have installed your piemenu and I am very glad to use it! Very simple and speed!
    But the supprim menu (x) don't run in edit mode! Is it normal?

(Blender 2.69 win Vista SSE2 32bits x86)
    Last edited by Spirou4D; 17-Nov-13 at 15:32.
    Words are Images that loosed Light!
    Linux Mint 18.1 Serena Bi-Quad Intel 2.66Ghz x64Bytes - Nvidia OpenGL GT 630 4Go-vram

Hi LiquidApe,

I love your great Piemenu add-on but you must add his feature: make inactive the option you quit (like grey with a 1/2 transparent picture above the option menu may be?). If you are in object mode and you want to go to edit mode with tab key, the object mode must be inactive, grey...you see what I mean.

Congratulations for your very nice job.
    Spirou4D
    Words are Images that loosed Light!
    Linux Mint 18.1 Serena Bi-Quad Intel 2.66Ghz x64Bytes - Nvidia OpenGL GT 630 4Go-vram

Does this require pie menus to also be installed and/or active?

On blender 2.69 win64 i get the following error when attempting to activate. (with or without original pies installed or active):

altpie-error.jpg

@Imaginer
    i think its great and more friendly to new users.
    but when working solely on modelling for example, the ideal fast way to work will be to have the default tab-edit-tab-object mode. fast and efficiant.
    but then if you finished modelling and want to quickly reactivate this addon for an overview workflow combining all blender aspect there should be a short activation.
    i suggest that after manually activating the addon, have an odd key shortcut (like left shift + right shift +tab [easy to remember but odd enough not to press it regularly]) to activate it. this will be ideal when wanting to switching from overview workflow, to specific workflow, as blender already offers, without needing to travel to the addon activation menu. just using hotkey.

@Imaginer + @LiquidApe
    i wish these things were integrated automatically in blender builds.
    might i also suggest that the two of you will cooperate into combining these two scripts into one addon?
    having the user an option to choose between pie menu and straight line menu in ONE addon will be really better. and REALLY awesome.
    Last edited by CHRONOMASTER; 17-Nov-13 at 17:51.

@Spirou4D the delete menu isn't working for you in edit mode? Are you getting any errors? Anything in the console?

@jandress Pie Menus don't need to be installed, but if you have them installed you need to deactivate them because their hotkeys conflict with the hotkeys in Alternate Pies. I don't know why you are getting that error, I'll look into it and release a new version soon.

@CHRONOMASTER The reason I made it replace the edit/object mode toggle is because when you are in either object mode or edit mode when the menu comes up, your mouse is already over the other mode so you just have to click. Same with the shading menu when you are in solid view the first item in the menu is wireframe and when you are in wireframe the first item is solid.

I agree that Pie Menus and Alternate Pies would work well together as one addon. If LiquidApe doesn't have any objections I'm fine with combining them.
    Last edited by Imaginer; 16-Jan-16 at 22:52.

@Imaginer It's a convention in UI design not to remove entries from lists, but to grey them out. This allows to remember the position of entries in a list, without them moving around. Maybe this would work in your case.

I get

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Users\oem\Desktop\blender-2.69-windows64\blender-2.69-windows64\2.69\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py", line 298, in enable
    mod = __import__(module_name)
    File "C:\Users\oem\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.69\scripts\addons\alternate_p ies_2\__init__.py", line 26, in <module>
    import alternate_mode_menu
    ImportError: No module named 'alternate_mode_menu'
    when trying to activate it. Official reease, 64bit Windows.

I think I have fixed it. Please re-download and intall it. This time you should also be able to use it as well.
    Last edited by Imaginer; 16-Jan-16 at 22:53.

@PLyczkowski I could grey them out, but its alot easier to switch between pose and edit/object mode on bones with only two items in the list as opposed to eight. But let me know what you think now that you can use it. If after trying it you still think greying out all the items would work better then I will release a version doing that as well.

Updated addon to version 0.2. New stuff includes edit mode mesh element selection menu, e.g. vertex, edge, face, select mode and all combinations of the three; partial fix of the disabling the opposing hotkeys; and some stuff under the hood.
    Please test, have fun, and give me your comments. If anyone has information (or a screenshot) of the silo delete menu (I heard it had very good context sensitivity), I might be able to improve my delete menu.
    Thanks.
    Imaginer

In the shading mode, can you add "show wireframe" on the surface, with all the edges draws plz ?
    Maybe Xray too. ^^

And in the 0.2, we need to deactive and reactive the addon. Even active at startup, it dos not work.

Originally Posted by pitiwazou View Post
    In the shading mode, can you add "show wireframe" on the surface, with all the edges draws plz ?
    Maybe Xray too. ^^
    Yeah I can add some display options to the shading menu. Do you know if the draw all edges checkbox is used for anything other than the show wireframe on surface option?

Originally Posted by pitiwazou View Post
    And in the 0.2, we need to deactive and reactive the addon. Even active at startup, it dos not work.
    I know. I'm not exactly sure how to fix it yet, but for now it's not a big deal to deactivate and reactivate the addon.
    Version 0.3 will be out soon.
    Imaginer

I'm using the Draw all edge only for the wireframe !
    This tool should not be exist.

It will be great for the wireframe, smooth and flat to work on all objects if no one is selected.
    Like that we can put the wire on each object in the scene instead of one after one.

Thank's for your work

Updated the addon to version 0.3. New stuff includes a painting options menu, display options for the shading menu (e.g. name, wire, x-ray), and as PLyczkowski suggested current modes are now greyed out instead of gone.
    Happy Blending.
    Imaginer
    Last edited by Imaginer; 16-Jan-16 at 22:54.

Updated the addon to version 0.4 New stuff includes: selecting brushes from the painting options menu, fixing the conflicting hot-keys bug(you don't have to deactivate/reactivate it anymore) and various other improvements.

I am thinking about adding a context sensitive right-click menu and am asking for your opinions on if you would like/use it and what to put in it.

Happy Blending.
    Imaginer
    Last edited by Imaginer; 16-Jan-16 at 22:54.

I am thinking about adding a context sensitive right-click menu and am asking for your opinions on if you would like/use it and what to put in it.
    Here is a section about RMB menu in my doc, maybe you will find some of it useful.

Thanks PLyczkowski. There's some interesting stuff in that doc.
    Last edited by Imaginer; 16-Jan-16 at 23:38.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast