Which Python IDE to use.

I’m new to programming. I understand the fundamentals of programming. The problem I’m having with getting started with python is which IDE is good? The list here is huge and I really don’t know where to start…

Secondly and not python, does Microsoft still provide a free to use VB C++ IDE? I know there was one a few years back which I installed. I can’t seem to find it anymore on their site.

I use Programmers Notepad.

Tynka - Atom - Thanks guys. MSVE is the one I was looking for.

I use Eclipse + Pydev (all free)

I did try IPython Notebook out of sheer interest. Not like it hugely helps to get around blender codebase, still.
SPE for smaller things, like addons, is more straight forward.
Eclipse+PyDev, as suggested. Heavy artillery, serious stuff.

Thanks guys. Downloaded pydev +eclipse, going to try it out when I get off work.

EDIT - I’m lost with eclipse and pydev. I don’t know enough about programming yet. Going to school for it next term. I just miss too many fundamental skills and concepts to get started… I think I’m still a few lessons away from actually writing any code.

How did you guys get into programming? Should I know the history before I work with higher level languages? Is there a set of fundamental concepts to know before starting?

Like:

• Boolean Logic
  • Arithmetic in Binary
  • Haxdecimal Number system
  • Basic understanding of algorithmic math
  • Assembly
    … Or should I just start hacking around with python?

Also should I know C++ before python?

Like my desperate cries of help here :eek:

Any recommended books/documentaries on programming?