Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Bevel shader

I test the bake node with last script but didnt get any good results, pls if you could upload a .blend i d greatful

it's not work good to smooth edges.

Originally Posted by blacklover View Post
    it's not work good to smooth edges.
    Please write more details.
    Last edited by kaufenpreis; 28-May-17 at 16:24.

Hi! So still nothing about usefulness this stuff for baking and exporting normal?

this shader should be in trunk... it's so useful.
    Last edited by kaufenpreis; 28-May-17 at 16:26.

Originally Posted by kaufenpreis View Post
    this shader should be in trunk... it's so useful.
    +1

It is super useful for games, arch, product design - anything. This thread is a good indicator of that. I hope one day we'll see CyclesGPU have support for this feature.

Originally Posted by cgstrive View Post
    +1

It is super useful for games, arch, product design - anything. This thread is a good indicator of that. I hope one day we'll see CyclesGPU have support for this feature.
    The problem is not about Cycles atm. It's about OSL, that does not support GPU.
    It's not perfect, but good enuff.

Originally Posted by ArMan View Post
    Does anyone considered adding this as a request to the current 2.8 branch? This could be implemented as a node to the new PBR viewport, I just dont know how viable it would be for the development time.
    Last edited by Kerub; 27-Dec-16 at 15:12.

Originally Posted by ArMan View Post
    You misinterpret me. I was on about the rounded corners feature in general- not refering to osl nor this shader which seems to have a few issues. Most production render engines have good support for this feature. There seems to be a clear demand here as well. I just hope to see native support for this feature on GPU sooner or later

Originally Posted by cgstrive View Post
    You misinterpret me. I was on about the rounded corners feature in general- not refering to osl nor this shader which seems to have a few issues.
    That's not in the roadmap of cycles
    https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/D...Cycles/Roadmap
    You can try to post this as request in the 2.8 or in the cycles thread, developers read that threads from time to time, the only fast solution now could be to pack this and submit as osl example
    Last edited by \_(ツ)_/; 25-Jan-17 at 15:29.

I just think about implementing "Sharp Edges" in the geometry node or perhaps as attibute.
    screenshot-area-2017-01-28-114023.png

Jens

I expect it should work as soon there's support for normal/bump maps in the source meshes.
    Last edited by kaufenpreis; 28-May-17 at 16:27.

There seems to be a clear demand here as well. I just hope to see native support for this feature on GPU sooner or later

Cycles needs a sharp-soft edges node attribute, for sure. It is not something that would be stay only as an osl try (osls are costly in rendering times). And even more, Cycles needs a sharp edges drawing shader-node (with a good parametrization of its thickness and softening-blurring) which could be used as a 'dirt and decay' mask, also, for the sharp edges of objects even if they are low poly objects. The already existent pointiness attribute could not do such a thing, it works only with soft cavities and only in high poly objects.

In fact having such a shader or attribute node could endow Blender with a whole Substance painter like means arsenal. It is strange, indeed, how no one to this day has thought about such a thing. It is something that has to be put as a serious request to app's developers. So, if anyone knows where exactly such requests can be put let do it.

I really agree with the rest of users. BF must think to integrate this "little" update in cycles. They cannot imagine the really big difference to the pipeline of the moderlers that this node could be.

I just made an account to chime in on the importance of this feature. It *needs* to be in 2.8.

I work in the game industry and have been using Modo for years now, and the rounded edge shader is indescribably useful for hard surface work, especially since it can be natively baked to a normal map using the Game Tools tabs baking features right within Modo. In a lot of cases, your low poly can BE your high poly, and you can bake those nice rounded edges directly onto the geometry you're previewing it on, eliminating the need for making a high poly with subd topology, having to manage multiple meshes, etc.

I just did the same... Made an account like 3 minutes ago just to say that this is really important for the modeling part.
    I tried to use Modo, to do the switch but without it's rounded edge shader and mesh fusion I think Blender is superior in many ways.

i had the account so i ll just say it again :P
    THIS IS 101 FOR GAMES and not only....

If anyone can point me to a bevel shader (even commercial)that can actually be baked into normal map i d be greatfull.

similar with this

HELLO

i tried .i really tried not to ask for help till i read all the comments and follow throw ,but god dam i can't even get this shader to work no matter what ,i am not a noob in blender ,but i guess this one got me !! can someone please show us how to get this thing working step by step .thank you

this is a photo of what i did , i thought it should be simple and easy

haheahg.jpg

Honestly, you showed nothing - script & render settings (most important things) are unknown.

Using script that Piotr Adamowicz posted at #20 is still working perfectly fine...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast