Thread: Anime Girl [Update: braids]

Anime Girl [Update: braids]

As I neared the end of Mr.Lasla's Anime Character Modeling - Complete workflow it occurred to me that, with a bit of polish, I had a model I might enter in the New Blender Guru Contest: Characters.

Latest render for thumbnail:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kenisha2.png 
Views:	609 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	295600

Continuation of first post...

I'm not finished with her hair: she is going to have five large braids French braided to her skull and then falling to mid back, and more clothes. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kenisha1.png 
Views:	6468 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	294264 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anime Girl Kenisha.blend1.png 
Views:	16589 
Size:	660.8 KB 
ID:	294265

I'm looking for critique on the anatomy, of course, bearing in mind that this is a cartoon character, and bearing in mind that most anime characters have fairly realistic body anatomy. Outside of the hair, I know I have some more work to do on shaping her legs and hands, and on leg topology.

I'm also looking for some suggestions on clothing (hopefully with images) and on some kind of environment to put her in for the contest entry, since she won't have the kind of sculpted and normal mapped details seen on stand-alone characters.

If anyone needs to see more detailed screenshots, just let me know.
    Last edited by Orinoco; 14-Mar-14 at 18:50.
    Finished Projects: Absinthe on the Rocks
    Focused Critique: Anime Girl
    Animation: Cartoon Girl Shelly

Gahhh! Braids are HARD!!

Name:	Kenisha Hair close up.png 
Views:	402 
Size:	742.3 KB 
ID:	295598

In the end, I went with fake braids, since I could not get a decent actual braid to intersect properly. I came close, but it will need more research and fiddling with verts to get something I can use an array modifier on. I also gave her a wrap using semi-transparent cloth from elbrujodelatribu fantastic Yet Another Thread about Cycles Materials which I also spent a lot of time in, duplicating his shaders and seeing how those nodes work.

Here is the latest beauty render

Name:	Kenisha2.png 
Views:	607 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	295599

She still needs something on her feet. (I'm thinking platform sandals... maybe not, she doesn't have any toes. Maybe closed-toe sandals, that's a thing, isn't it?) Anyway, footwear and then rigging so I can pose her.

Critique is welcome and appreciated, and apparently rare here in focused critique.
    Finished Projects: Absinthe on the Rocks
    Focused Critique: Anime Girl
    Animation: Cartoon Girl Shelly

Your model's looking very good. Sandals would look pretty good, but I think she does need some toes. Since your topology's so large and spaced, that shouldn't be hard at all. One of the things that could really do a lot for the render is a subsurface node in your material (unless you're rendering in BI, and you can still do subsurf). Also, I'd throw together some quick lighting. I know you're in the modelling stage, but it helps to see what your render will look like.
    They told me a signature could only be three lines, so I thought I'd oblige them.

Hey, nice model! I think she looks great. Kudos for introducing a girl with a fresh and exciting look instead of rehashing the standard female character for the ten millionth time.