Addon: Alarm and Shutdown (update from 12.04.20) Now with Telegram and Viber notifications!

Hi everyone!
I’d like to share with you my little addon, which allows you to set sound alarm, shutdown your computer and send an email, telegram and viber notification at render completion.
Versions for both Blender 2.7x and 2.8x available.
Tested it on Ubuntu 18, Debian 10 and Windows 10
Documentation page:
http://blenderust.com/alarm-and-shutdown-v1-3/

New in version v1.3

• Long awaited feature – notifications via popular messenger apps is finally here! Now, aside from emails, you can get notified via Telegram and Viber.

• Linux version is now supports Sleep shut-down type

• Linux support was improved. Shut-down now works in Debian as well.

• Email setup is now requires to fill only one field instead of that user/password/smtp/port/ttl jibber jabber. Just set up your inbox address and you good to go. Multiple addresses (up to 3) are now supported!

• Also, new original notification sounds replaced previous ones. It’s mostly due to legal reasons, but the ability to set up your own jingle is still here.

• Minor change: checkbox that enables notifications and shut-down timer in addons’ panel header now doesn’t save its’ state. It is convenient to prevent accidental shut down action when you render your scene next time and forgot to disable Alarm and Shutdown

• Countdown until shut-down now displayed in the status bar.

• Email message is now formatted as an HTML text. Looks dandy.

FAQ
• Q: Version 1.2 Beta is free. Why v1.3 is paid now? :frowning:

:black_small_square: A: For the end user convenience, in v1.3 notifications were completely revamped and now heavily relies on a stable dedicated web-server. And, unfortunately, good server need some paid maintenance by third party. This fairly symbolic fee will ensure stable functioning of the addon. Also, it will surely keep me motivated to keep this addon up to date and add new features. And last but not least – half of my revenue for this addon will go straight to Blender Foundation!

• Q: What about compatibility? Which OS does it support and which Blender versions?

:black_small_square: A: Both 2.7x and 2.8x versions of Alarm and Shutdown v1.3 were thoroughly tested on Windows 10, Linux Ubuntu 16 and Linux Debian 10 systems. All the features works fine on these systems. Blender versions used in testing: 2.78, 2.79b, 2.80, 2.82a (latest at the time). Given Blender API release logs, it SHOULD also work in Blender 2.76 and upcoming 2.83 and most probably 2.9

• Q: How do I install it and set it up?

:black_small_square: A: You can find detailed text tutorials by the link above. If you still having troubles with the addon, feel free to contact me directly. I’ll be glad to help.

UPDATED on 12.04.20
Get it on Gumroad

My email: [email protected]

Thanks!

4 Likes

Nice work. I just don’t need it when i am at home or office, but i’d like to be notified when away so…
Q: Is it possible to integrate notification via e-mail or skype, fb, viber…? Any plan?

(w7 x64)
Congrats & Thanks.

1 Like

A few people have already requested this feature, so i’m thinking of implementing. First of all though i need to add support for linux and os x

Thanks for that addon, will undoubtedly be a great help to all

Update!
Some crucial bugs fixed.
Added volume controll.
Basic auto-save for still renders implemented.
And finally - shutting down should work now on Unix systems

Links for download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3EEhnkd9nhwMVRmd21pRmM4TmM/edit?usp=sharing

Excellent! and Cool Addon! :]

wow nice addon thanks really useful

CRITICAL update.
Due to my mistake previous version of the addon won’t work properly with blender other than 2.70. Now it’s fixed! Links are in first post.

@@burnin
Its name is Growl notifier here:

The notification style option simply allows you to choose from two different notification types, which I’ve named Desktop and Email for convenience, as that’s what I use them for, but you can set them to notify them any way you like using Growl’s preferences.
Bye
Spirou4D

thanks! it’s a very important addon for artist.

Bug fixed when no proper sound plays if installed via “install from file” button.
Bug fixed when no sound plays for reopened scene where alarm enabled

This is for sure great addon!
But I am using blender 2.71 on Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon and shutdown or restart is not yet working.

Any idea?

Any experiences on Linux systems?
On my Mint17 alarm is working, but I can’t get to run shutdown and restart. No error or warning it simply does nothing.

Any idea how to get it run?

Hi @Sergusster,

Your nice add-on don’t run with my blender 2.72 on Vista 32b SSE2, only a wong os system beep, not music???

Wow finally ! Thank you !

One problem with this script on LInux is that it uses “sudo”, from within a GUI-driven program. That won’t work, because sudo needs keyboard input. Might try “gksudo”, but of course, that will leave the program waiting for input!

So basically although Alarm and Shutdown is a great addon it seems like it stops working on Linux when used with a sudo command as it is waiting for input. Is it possible for this to be patched? I think that’s not that hard to patch and also that this is going to make it a bit more reliable. Another bug that I found was basically the checkbox that is supposed to save the image makes the addon not to work and so you have to uncheck that and do that at the node editor. Which although doesn’t take more than 1 min it can be frustrating for some. Once again despite it being a great addon I believe that with these minor bugs fixed this addon could really shine.

Thanks

This is definitely a cool addon (and one that I have recommended) but that I believe can be massively improved with some minor bug fixes such as;

• When called with a sudo command on linux the Addon stops working as sudo needs keyboar dinput. (Like David Chipman correctly pointed out)
  • When checking the checkbox to save the image once rendering the scene. The addon doesn’t work at all so you basically have to manually add a node to automatically save the image once done and leave the checkbox unchecked. Which although only takes about 5 seconds for an intermediate user it may cause frustration to many. Personally I had to play around to find out what was causing the addon not to work.

To sum up I believe that this addon has great potentional and by fixing those minor bugs it can be massively improved.

Other than that. The addon is pretty neat.
Cheers!

Just to say thank You so much Sergusster. It’s a so essential addon!

Same problem here: Windows 10, Blender 2.79, and except for sleep they don’t work. I’m in school and I’d really need this addon, besides the fact that this will be a hugely helpful thing even when I finish my studies. Any ways to fix it?