Mastering Drivers - Training DVD

Welcome to the Official thread for the Mastering Drivers - Training DVD! :slight_smile:

Here you can discuss everything about it, and post videos of what you create.

You can watch free tutorials from the DVD or buy the full version at http://exploreblender.com

Happy Blending!

Regards,
Gustav Nilsson

Great Ladder tutorial!
Thanks for your invaluable work. This first tutorial is full of information and great tips!

Thanks MarcPag! :slight_smile: I am glad you liked it!

Hi GustavN,

We just purchased your tutorial, really great videos and very professional. I’ll start dig in :slight_smile:

Thanks for the freebies!

I like the short overviews and tips.

Bought the course via twitter with bitcoin.
Really awesome experience :smiley:
Thanks GustavN. :yes:

Hi. Two great videos so far.

I have a couple of questions about the time keeping in the second video.

(a) Why ask the user to enter the frames per second (fps) as a custom property when it can be got directly from the scene?

(b) Why add an empty and use its location to store the time? Why not add a “total_seconds” custom property to the clock empty and drive it from the frame, fps, and offset values?

Thanks! :slight_smile: And two good questions;

(a) I decided to do that for the analog clock because it is easier to create, as a “slower start”. If you look at the Digital Clock sample, I am using the fps of the scene in the control, as you suggest. However, using a property of the scene does not work well when we link the object, since the scene itself will be linked, so I wanted to delay that explanation a bit. I will talk more about linking and appending in a video in the end though.

(b) That would have worked as well. Any “behind the scenes” values can be done without objects or bones and just values directly, but I chose to do it through the location of an empty to make it more visual. However, having a driven property added to the Clock empty would expose a value that the user should not see, since it can’t change it directly. So even if I decided to add a total_seconds property, I would not want to add it to the clock empty anyway.
But you are right, I should probably have mentioned that in the tutorial.

I hope that answers your questions! :slight_smile:

Hi GustavN, satisfyed preorderer here!

Wow that clock one got mathematic. I’ll have to go through it a couple more times before i get all the expressions going on, but your explanations are great so I’m sure I will. Eventually :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there any “function list” up there in the internet we can look up to when in the need of python functions to exploit?

Thank you!!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

As for a list of functions, you can take a look at this page https://docs.python.org/2/library/math.html. All of these math functions should be available for you to use.

To really get a list of everything available though, you would have to check inside Blender. To do this, you open the Python Console window, type “bpy.app.driver_namespace” (without quotes) and then press CTRL+SPACE. A list will appear.

However, unless I am blind, in default Blender this list seems to be identical to the Python documentation link from above, so I would just stick to that since it has good explanations of what each function does and what input it wants :slight_smile:

(And also, here is a link with all the different operators, like % (modulus) and >= (comparing bigger or equal to) http://www.tutorialspoint.com/python/python_basic_operators.htm)

Good luck!

Here a satisfied buyer. :eyebrowlift:

Congratulations for this great work job.
Do you think make more?
What you think about secondary animations controlled by drivers?

Thanks you.

The full DVD is now available on the website! :slight_smile:

Sav Martin: Thank you! I might do more in the future if I feel like I have something more to teach :slight_smile: But right now it feels like this DVD covers everything I had to say pretty well! But time will tell.

Thanks again.

Completely satisfied with this series. Excellent work. Well worth the pittance you’ve asked. :slight_smile:

Hi there
Great tut Gustav. I’ve searched quite a long time for something like that. Comprehensive and clear explenation. Worth every penny spent on this dvd. Hope You do something more in the future.
Thanks for Your knowledge
V.

to the OP and author of this training DVD I say bravo dear Sir !

great insight of how Blender drivers work and also some other nice comands/shortcuts/tips that I didn’t know about.

this tutorial sparked some ideas about precision modeling/dimensioning in Blender.

the watch tutorial is also nice if only to keep track of time spent in the Blender viewport :slight_smile:

in the future i would be interested in seeing more material about deforming/driving values of simple meshes with the purpose of simulating the inventor/solidworks CAD math formula expresion editors inside Blender.

also I am interested in ways to replicate or reach the same or similar functionality regarding matting/constraing/driving assemblies from inventor/solidworks CAD environments inside Blender.