in game text

Hey, when im making games i always use alot of text, for example, health, ammo, or ammount of something to collect.
but the text in blender game engine looks very baaad. so i have some questions. :slight_smile:

1.why is the text so low resulution in game? and is there a way to make it look smoother ( i know that making the text bigger makes it a little more high res)

1. i can change what type of letters im gonna use, but can i change colour of it?

Ty in advance :smiley:

Don’t use the built-in text. Use bitmap text. From my experience, it is actually faster and easier to modify. You can create custom textures from custom fonts, or even make your own fonts to convert.
Tutorial for converting: (Download for FTBlender is in the description of the video)

Video for unwrapping the bitmap:

@MrPutuLips - Wha? Using bitmap text is fine if you know you NEEEEEEED it, but I don’t find that to be the case for most instances. There are some problems with it, like the text being locked to a set resolution. You can’t just scale the image up, since the data at the top is exactly the length it needs to be to work, so you would have to re-make the image entirely.

@yghtim - Use a Python script to increase the resolution of the text (or scale the text up to make it crisper).

from bge import logic

cont = logic.getCurrentController()

obj = cont.owner

obj.resolution = 6

This is untested, but it should work fine. Run the script on the text object itself; it only needs to be set once. Note that you don’t want to set the text resolution too high, or else it might hang Blender.

As for changing the color, you can do so by changing the object color in the object tab.

If you want to implement your own fonts, you can do so much more easily by actually building your own font files, like FontStruct allows you to do.

alright, if the code works than i think i use that one, if it doenst work as i expect then ill check out bitmap. :smiley:

ty for the quick answears!

I personally find it easier, because you can use normal maps, spec maps, diffuse etc. to create some cool effects – though, for a lot of cases, being able to change the text resolution is far better than wasting resources like using a high-res image for tiny text.