How to fake water dynamics with vertice parenting...

I’ve been experimenting with a few techniques that I plan on using in my short film and I learning a lot. However, I realize how much it would have helped if someone had shown me some of the wierder techniques before I stumbled across them. As I did with “How to fake softbodies with a rigged character…”, I’ll give you a sample video and a .blend to play with and expand on.

Basically I wanted to have a small piece of glacier (or a bunch of them) move semi-realistically in choppy water without having to keyframe them by hand.

http://www.sentineldesign.net/misc/fake_float.jpg

Quick Animation Example (821kb, DivX 5)

Blend file

What I did was parent 4 empties to vertices in the water and tracked them to each other. I then used a copy rotation constraint from each of the empties to my glacier (in this case is an over-ramp-shaded cube). You can ‘adjust’ the turbulence of the affected object by moving the empties further away (less turbulent) from or closer (more turbulant) to each other.

Take care,
Drew.

hi, i was looking at your ocean .blend and i was wondering how you figured this out. i am trying to recreate a Maya tutorial regarding dynamic hoses. i know it’s different than yours but what i’m trying to do is replicate clusters in Maya in blender. i wanted to know how you set up the empties and the constraints. are the empties parented to vertices? if so, how? i have managed to parent object to vertices (i move the verts in Edit mode and they move the object but i can’t make the verts move by moving the object). i see that moving the empties in the scene moves the block and when i play back the animation the waves move. ok, too much rambling…

i have a nurbs curve (7 knots total), an empty on each end and one empty on the center knot. i want to parent the 3 knots on each end to their respective empties and parent the center knot to its respective emtpy, then parent the empties to cubes so that when i move the cubes the curve ends move. when i make a “vertex parent” the empty is parented to the knots:

3 knots (nurbs curve)
|
|_empty

so if i move the empty it moves but the knots don’t. if i got into Edit mode and move the knots, the empty moves. i want to move the empty and IT moves the verts (in object mode).

empty
|
|_3 knots (nurbs curve)

is this possible? i sort of got it to work using hooks, but the hook “centers” stay behind when moving the objects. i’ve been struggling with this for a few days now and it’s driving me batty.

thanks,
-gendo

Yes, I know what you’re talking about. First of all, check out this post: https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33896

I don’t know the limitations of nurbs curves, but I understand what your after. Could you send a link to the Maya doc, a sample .blend, or anything else I could play with to come up with a solution?

i had a scene built last night, then blender crashed and i lost it. i haven’t had time today to rebuld it (working). the Maya doc was in the last issue of 3DWorld magazine (has Shark Tale on the cover). I don’t have it or i would retype all the steps here, i’m trying to do it from memory, but i’ll see what i can do. i had mine set up with Hooks also, but when i moved the hooks, their centers or “pivots” didn’t move. i read something earlier today about parenting the “effector” to something else (i used an empty) and move the parent. something like that. it seemed to work on the 2 cubes example i made, but that’s just 2 cubes. i had built a tube connected to cubes connected to rectangles. i was keying one end flipping over the other like a slinky. it was working ok until i crashed it. i tried parenting the hook to mesh it was effecting… crash.
i’ll re-examine the scene file from the link you posted, i have the file already. guess i should look at it a little more closely. :slight_smile:

thanks.

I’m going to go off-topic if I post more on this thread. I really liked your floaty ocean sim, it’s cool and acts pretty realistically. It gives me ideas for something I’m going to start shortly once I finish up what I’m pulling my hair out over right now.

Thanks for posting the blend, your tinkering should provide useful for others!

-Gendo