TwoDeer's Sketchbook

Latest work:

Just started up blender two weeks ago and been having a blast. Started out with a character model and decided it’s time to start doing smaller projects so I get more sandbox play time! Here’s my first character - I followed the Tim Tutorial series on youtube

First evar person from 2014

Attachments

This was my first time actually making something (recognizable :slight_smile: ) without a tutorial. I call it cart!

Been playing around a lot with texturing. Man, didn’t know there was so much stuff. Diffuse, specular, bump, normal, occlusion, displacement. Haven’t even done half of them.

Was practicing a lot with UV (and working around the 2.70a UV smart project bug) and just seeing how to make really simple geometry look cooler with a nice texture. These walls are just using the textures for CGTexture.com and the bump/normal maps were made with nvidia’s bump map photoshop plugin (works in photoshop CC, even though it says it doesn’t support it).

Just a bump

Normal map

Currently working through http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/the-secrets-of-realistic-texturing/#.U6YKzCh5Ydg to see if I can make it even better. Then hopefully back into modeling. Textures are cool and all, but modeling is why I got into this whole thing!

Man. Cycles rendering. That was a ton of stuff to take on! Also got the latest version of NDO and DDO which are in an open beta, and used that to create my normal, occlusion, specular, displacement maps.

My starting texture wasn’t really high resolution, so the results aren’t spectacular, but very nice to understand the process to get all the bells and whistles. Never seen a plan or a cube come to life so much with just a texture. Hopefully get back into modeling soon.

Details: Cycles, specular, occlusion, normal, displacement maps on a 700x700 tile floor texture.

Edit:
Here’s the finished tutorial picture (How to make realistic textures by Andrew Price)

I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading on architectural visualization and plan on working up to a whole living room eventually.

Here’s the chair :slight_smile:

Hey TwoDeer, nice looking paved road. I just happened to watch the same tutorial by Andrew Price yesterday while I was working on a project. Keep up the good learning progress! I can already see how much better your lighting has become since your first posted images =)

Hey BeautyOfTechnol, thanks for the kind words!

That was a great tutorial to watch and yeah, lighting is so important. I’m sure I’ll have to do a ton more before I actually have a decent idea of what the heck I’m doing :slight_smile:

A quick post of the work I did today. Got to play around a lot with nodes, still have to work on the bump texture for the ball.

Continuing on with the archviz. This is step 2 of the 3 major areas I’d like to cover. High res interiors, 3d floor plans, and exterior shots. Going to be working on an exterior for this house next.

This is the last update I have for my high res interior. Changed the floorplan a little and added a bunch of stuff. All modeled by me.

I just finished up doing most of blenderpedia’s exterior house tutorial. Was a nice overview and was cool to see a different workflow than super exact. Now I think I’ll just be revisiting interiors/3d floor plans/exteriors and keep on fine tuning my skills.

P.S. As for the results, I would have liked to make the scale better (smaller door, wider house, taller 2nd floor, better grass, better street) I may revisit it and tweak some of these things when I have time.

Followed along with Sardi Pax’s fluid simulation and got some nice results :slight_smile:

A better splash drop

A quick calculator speed modeling

A staff based on a 2d sprite from the dragonfable game :slight_smile:

Nice work, Twodeer! I like that you did some tutorials through to the end.
Your models are simple still, but they that you understand the tools available. I look forward to seeing more from your sketchbook!
Your archvis work is certainly reaching towards a sense of realism. So yea, keep it up!

Thanks for the reply Sebniemi. Here’s another simple one :slight_smile:

A quick speed modeling of some low poly logs

I’d like to bake the high poly onto it later

A shipping container, still would like to add a grunge map and some scuffs to it.

Attachments