Pose Flipping 2.35, Manual instructions a no-go

Downloaded latest version, 2.35. No prior experience with 3D or animations. Working thru the 30+30 animation tutor.

Manual instructions for walk sequence say to use copy pose/pose flipping.

The copied pose doesn’t flip, just duplicates the original copied pose. Tried several times, looked up the subject in the forum–responses tend to get more technical than the manual implies this process should be at the beginner’s level.

Also, how to delete previously saved .blend files from within Blender. As I’ve discovered problems with my saved work, I wanted to get rid of it. File menu doesn’t offer delete option. Had to exit and use Windows search to remove the files, then begin again from scratch. There’s a better way, I’m sure.

Have you named the bones correctly ( with .R and .L )?

Yes. L Arm, L Thigh, L Calf, and R’s for the right side.

From the User Manual:

It is very important to name your bones with a trailing ‘.L’ or ‘.R’ to distinguish between left and right ones, so that the Action editor will be able to automatically flip your poses.

The copied pose doesn’t flip, just duplicates the original copied pose.

I’m not sure, but try this: Before you parent your mesh to the armature, select each of them and hit ctrl-a so their local axis are aligned. Since your mesh is probably already parented, unparent it (alt-p), ctrl-a both, reparent and select “don’t name groups”

Also, how to delete previously saved .blend files from within Blender. As I’ve discovered problems with my saved work, I wanted to get rid of it. File menu doesn’t offer delete option. Had to exit and use Windows search to remove the files, then begin again from scratch. There’s a better way, I’m sure.

The better way is to know where you’re saving your .blends. Just make a directory for your project and save the files there. %|

Yes. Thanks. The manual was being more specific than it seemed, when it suggested that limbs should be named something like arm.L. I redid the work using the correct naming convention and it flipped perfectly.

Also, yes, I realized the .blend files are in the directory where they should be. Can they be removed from within Blender, or do I need to back out each time?

Also, yes, I realized the .blend files are in the directory where they should be. Can they be removed from within Blender, or do I need to back out each time?

Whoa, ya know I never tried, but I guess you can. :o

HIt f1 to open the file dialouge, mouse over the file, hit the x key.

You can select multiple files by right clicking.

I guess you learn something new every day :slight_smile:

FYI, be careful deleting like that, it deletes the file permanently as opposed to dropping it in the recycle bin.

Thanks, all, for the help. Now, to extend what I’ve learned to a more ambitious project…

Recycle bin? What the hell is that?