Importing a .ply file

First off, I would like to say hello to the Blender community. I’m new to this website, but I’ve been fairly comfortable using Blender for the last 3+ years. I work for a crime and traffic reconstruction company. We mainly use Sketchup and CAD programs to successfully reconstruct models. My question must start with a little background introduction:

Recently, we got a case from the Ukraine. The scene spans about 1 1/2 miles. The crew in Ukraine sent us a point cloud data with approximately 145 million vertices(File size is 4.13 GB). I was given a software to download called CloudCompare. This was used to import the point cloud(.pts format) so that I could export it into a .ply format. No other format is available that is compatible with Blender(as far as I know). I have tried a couple times to import the point cloud in the .ply format to no avail. I have left Blender running on the weekends. Still, nothing. I have imported a model with approximately 600 thousand vertices using the .ply format. Blender “acts” as if it’s timed out. But, the model was imported successfully.

Now my quesion(s): How many vertices is too many? Is this task not possible? If importing this many vertices is possible, I would be very appreciative if I’m lead in the right direction by someone or a group that is more knowledgeable about this situation. Thank you for your time.

Computer Specs: Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 930 @2.80GHz
Installed memory(RAM): 24.0GB (16.0 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System