Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1460
    Originally Posted by scorpion81 View Post
    Hmm, the problem here is we need to deal with multiple different objects. The particle system is placed on a helper object, while execute fracture only affects the FM object. And the initial "generation" step is only for convenience, to quickly create the helper. In order to change the particle count, you can do it in the addon panel after the helper has been created. BUT, then you need to refracture the FM object, making it active and refracture from the Modifier panel or addon panel. Alternatively, you may click "Toggle Automatic Execution" on the FM object, so refractures are done automatically after changes. This way you can change the particle count and the FM object will auto-update (which can take long depending on the geometry complexity).
    In the latest addon (2.1.3) there is even no particle amount input field unless you selected the helper object.

And by default the particle rendering is disabled now, you can either enable it in the particle settings of the helper or just select the helper (which is on layer 20, just to keep things cleaner in the first layer(s) and select "Point" under 3D View Settings (its the 3rd option there, only visible when being on a helper object, being "None" per default)
    Brilliant, got it now.

The next bit I'm stuck on is motion blur - I have to convert the shards to real objects in order to get motion blur working correctly, right? My trouble with this, is that then the autohide/merge of faces doesn't seem to work...

Such a cool feature though - this makes it so much better than the last time I tried to break stuff in blender!

Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
    The next bit I'm stuck on is motion blur - I have to convert the shards to real objects in order to get motion blur working correctly, right? My trouble with this, is that then the autohide/merge of faces doesn't seem to work...
    Topology changing features such as Autohide, Automerge, Dynafrac etc. are currently not supported by deformation motion blur in Cycles which will automatically be disabled when mesh changes between frames are detected. This is something we cannot fix since the problem lies in the Cycles render code, the motion blur implementation basically needs to support changing topologies.

Solution: Either you don't use mesh changing features or you need to add fake motion blur in post like with After Effects.
    Last edited by Kai Kostack; 21-Nov-17 at 04:16.

Originally Posted by Kai Kostack View Post
    Topology changing features such as Autohide, Automerge, Dynafrac etc. are currently not supported by deformation motion blur in Cycles which will automatically be disabled when mesh changes between frames are detected. This is something we cannot fix since the problem lies in the Cycles render code, the motion blur implementation basically needs to support changing topologies.

Solution: Either you don't use mesh changing features or you need to add fake motion blur in post like with After Effects.
    No worries, so long as I wasn't missing anything.

The next question I was going to ask was how I'd make something visibly and gradually crack slightly before shattering it? Basically I have a block of ice and I want cracks to form before it bursts open to reveal the logo inside. Currently I have an object that taps the top of it slightly a couple of times, but this displaces the shards a bit too far, and also the ice block visibly moves when it's tapped. In my mind, some sort of dynamic paint that controls whether faces are hidden, not sure if that's something that is currently possible or possible in future.

I guess one way to cheat it would be to do two passes, one fractured, and one not, and then composite/mask between the two to have the cracks spread - this way I could also convert the shards to keyframed objects and have motion blur... Hmmmm...

No worries, so long as I wasn't missing anything.

The next question I was going to ask was how I'd make something visibly and gradually crack slightly before shattering it? Basically I have a block of ice and I want cracks to form before it bursts open to reveal the logo inside. Currently I have an object that taps the top of it slightly a couple of times, but this displaces the shards a bit too far, and also the ice block visibly moves when it's tapped. In my mind, some sort of dynamic paint that controls whether faces are hidden, not sure if that's something that is currently possible or possible in future.

I guess one way to cheat it would be to do two passes, one fractured, and one not, and then composite/mask between the two to have the cracks spread - this way I could also convert the shards to keyframed objects and have motion blur... Hmmmm...
    You could use a Dynamic Paint Canvas after the FM with low displacement settings. Optionally you also could use autohide and make the Dynamic Paint Brush into a group, and assign it to the Autohide filter group in the FM. But note, the autohide filtering uses only a radius (depending on the objects size it was i think) around the filter objects, so to have certain shapes you might need more of the filter object. If you dont need autohide (e.g. you cant look through that ice block) you can omit it and use the Dynamic Paint displacement only.

Here is a small example blend of how it might look like:
    ice_crack.blend

Move the green cube (its a sphere with bounds only displayed) around and see the cracks appearing. if you do Alt A before, and then move the cube the cracks will also remain as long as the animation runs (this is from Dynamic Paint)

Edit: hmm it might be better to omit autohide here, since its starts to flicker when DP Displacement is used and the animation runs.

Edit 2: in this file, you need to set autohide to 0 again, it looks like its 0.00000 but there it is 0.000001 here
    Last edited by scorpion81; 21-Nov-17 at 07:05.
    Finished: 1980 Cadillac , WIP: Ferrari F40 , Ju-87

Originally Posted by scorpion81 View Post
    You could use a Dynamic Paint Canvas after the FM with low displacement settings. Optionally you also could use autohide and make the Dynamic Paint Brush into a group, and assign it to the Autohide filter group in the FM. But note, the autohide filtering uses only a radius (depending on the objects size it was i think) around the filter objects, so to have certain shapes you might need more of the filter object. If you dont need autohide (e.g. you cant look through that ice block) you can omit it and use the Dynamic Paint displacement only.

Here is a small example blend of how it might look like:
    ice_crack.blend

Move the green cube (its a sphere with bounds only displayed) around and see the cracks appearing. if you do Alt A before, and then move the cube the cracks will also remain as long as the animation runs (this is from Dynamic Paint)

Edit: hmm it might be better to omit autohide here, since its starts to flicker when DP Displacement is used and the animation runs.

Edit 2: in this file, you need to set autohide to 0 again, it looks like its 0.00000 but there it is 0.000001 here
    The Autohide filter group is the one! Absolutely perfect!

Okay, now I'm hoping this will be my very last question - where the cracks are visible it seems like they are jittering slightly. I have the object set to triggered, and enable deactivation, and start deactivated, but still the cracks are flickering.

Any ideas?

(This is with autohide and everything switched off for now...)

Ohhh, hang on, might have just been caused by my camera clip distance being set very low.... Having a quick test render now...

Nope, not that... Autohide is off... I think it's probably more of a blender physics question rather than specifically to so with the fracture build.

I have the ice resting on a plane, tried making sure the bottom verts are at 0, and the plane is at 0, then tried raising the ice up a fraction to get it to drop and hopefully settle (with enable de-activation) but to no avail.

Looking at the path fracture video on the FM site, I really need to make it so the ice block doesn't initially drop due to gravity, but even playing about with 'triggered', start deactivated etc' it still drops by default..

EDIT: just had to free and then rebake. Still flickery though...
    Last edited by Tedri Mark; 22-Nov-17 at 12:54.

Nope, not that... Autohide is off... I think it's probably more of a blender physics question rather than specifically to so with the fracture build.

I have the ice resting on a plane, tried making sure the bottom verts are at 0, and the plane is at 0, then tried raising the ice up a fraction to get it to drop and hopefully settle (with enable de-activation) but to no avail.

Looking at the path fracture video on the FM site, I really need to make it so the ice block doesn't initially drop due to gravity, but even playing about with 'triggered', start deactivated etc' it still drops by default..
    Hmm per default the ground plane has a mesh shape which might cause instabilities. You could try to make the ground a bit thicker, and use a Box shape for it (also center the origin to the geometry or center of mass then on the ground).

Furthermore the fractured object could perhaps have a collision margin of 0 (given it is convex hull). Then, the ice block needs to be triggered and animated (so it stands still in the beginning).

Triggered alone is for special use with a stop trigger only for example (Edit: well atleast internally: a triggered shard will become animated if it hits a stop trigger, and will be reset to not animated IF the animated flag of the rigidbody Object is disabled). There, pieces of the FM object with a speed below the deactivation linear or angular threshold will instantly stop moving after having contact with a stop trigger.

But in your case you have initial movement perhaps due to interpenetration with the ground or being just a bit above it. Its not easy to exactly match the "alignment" of active objects in a way they wont have initial movement imho, without triggered + animated. Afaik start deactivated is not really fully deactivated, but only kinda "sleeping" and being awake then after the slightest contact.
    Last edited by scorpion81; 22-Nov-17 at 12:36.

In the end I decided against the visible cracks appearing before the explosion because I couldn't get it to be stable, even when I had the ice block starting deactivated and not having a ground plane. I did try again with the same mesh (I thought it might be because of the high poly sculpt) with the default fracture settings, and I got it to be stable, so it may have been something to do with the number of shards, using an object as a fracture helper, or something else, but with a deadline looming I had to just go with what I knew could work, which is sometimes the way when you're trying to use new techniques for a project rather than just experimenting.

Really happy with the result though, makes a really nice intro/outro to the trailer we made:

Last edited by Tedri Mark; 26-Nov-17 at 15:54. Reason: Added video embed

(How do you embed videos?)
    There is a button in the editor menu with a filmstrip icon.

Nice result by the way.

Originally Posted by Kai Kostack View Post
    There is a button in the editor menu with a filmstrip icon.

Nice result by the way.
    Ah yes! Cheers!

Nice effect @Tedri Mark, you did good! It has a signature look that works well.

Originally Posted by JTA View Post
    Nice effect @Tedri Mark, you did good! It has a signature look that works well.
    Thanks! Really pleased with how it came out, and got lots of praise for it at work too

Development 2016-2017

Amazing Fracture Modifier promo video! A lot of things I would like to know how to do
    Thanks for making and sharing the video.
    Be patient, English is not my language.

I have read about UVW coordinates for mapping exists, I have no idea exactly how it works. Would it be useful for better texture mapping in inner material? (for consistent use in animation). How difficult would it be to implement UVW mapping thing in Blender?

Edit:
    Never mind, forget about this question.
    I found the thread where this had been discussed and I had forgotten that 'scorpion81' is the one who had talked about UVW coordinates.
    I just wish that inner material could have textures and be consistent during animation.
    Last edited by YAFU; 08-Dec-17 at 12:41.

Originally Posted by YAFU View Post
    I have read about UVW coordinates for mapping exists, I have no idea exactly how it works. Would it be useful for better texture mapping in inner material? (for consistent use in animation). How difficult would it be to implement UVW mapping thing in Blender?

Edit:
    Never mind, forget about this question.
    I found the thread where this had been discussed and I had forgotten that 'scorpion81' is the one who had talked about UVW coordinates.
    I just wish that inner material could have textures and be consistent during animation.
    Hmm, what do you mean exactly with "consistent during animation" ? That the mesh wont move "through" a static texture ? Or the size of the UV islands is not consistent... hmmm that *might* be a problem...

Anyway, the inner material can have textures...

inner_material_textured.png

inner_material_textured1.png

For this you need to unwrap the unfractured Object first, to get the first map for the "Outer" material. (usually "UVMap")
    Then you need to add an empty UV layer (at the mesh panel), call it "InnerUV" for example.
    Create 2 image textures, one for outer and one for inner material.
    Then, in the FM, pick the InnerUV as Inner UV setting and execute Fracture.

Then you can map the images via naming the UV Maps explicitly in the cycles setup.

See also the test blend here (it uses Material View, since Texture View is mostly utterly broken in this case, i didnt quite find out why exactly)

inner_material_textured.blend

Sorry, I have mixed everything in my mind. I think Volumetric Textures with fracture was the problematic thing. I do not know why I had thought there were problems with any kind of inner texture
    Thanks for the explanation, that's useful for me. I've done a test and it works.

Here is a small behind the scenes demo from a short film we made this year using FM (will be released online next year):

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273