Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3070787980
Results 1,581 to 1,587 of 1587
    Originally Posted by GCharb View Post
    Thanks for the reply, and no worries, I just think it would be useful to be able to address the different axis of a construct, especially for wood, since we would normally create longer shards to get a realistic effect, which requires a direction, the alternative would be to split the model in 3 different parts and apply a different simulation for each!

The fracture branch is the Blender release I use for all my work now, the fracture modifier is basically as good as the Houdini solvers, but easier to set-up, great work man!
    Regarding the multi-object solution... it is possible in FM 2.79a to connect different fractured objects with external constraints now. So you can just make one object for y-direction splinters, and one for z-direction and fracture both. Then in the helper addon, select both FM objects and press "Connect" under Automations -> Combination. This will create another helper object, which maintains the constraints settings for constraints which "cross" the object border. You should be able to connect even more than 2 objects this way. The constraints will be built there where the objects "touch" (you can set the connection radius to say 0.1 and connection mode to vertex, or keep radius like 1.0 and keep the mode "centroid").
    Each FM object will still maintain their own settings in their constraint sections.
    To setup the connection manually, you can put the desired FM objects into a group, then create another helper object manually. Put an FM onto it, disable all sources. Specify the Group in "Sub object group" and check "Constraints only"... also enable "Use constraints in the helper object. But note, its easier to let the addon do the boring automation work

Fractured Example of your frame wall: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YM...XY0KeHsS8NjwMl (just Alt a to play the animation)

Edit: the external constraint feature was already implemented, and is probably more useful than attempting to have multiple fracture settings inside one object.
    Finished: 1980 Cadillac , WIP: Ferrari F40 , Ju-87

hmm, I decided to retry to fracture them all at once again and it worked this time. However, later on, I was messing around and made a new fracture preset. this one had 5 shards instead of the 10 I had before. I then selected 4 top blocks and hit execute. this caused blender to freeze up and I ultimately had to force close.

So my thoughts initially were maybe it's an issue when you're messing with presets as i remember i was doing the same when i first tried to do the big multi-fracture. However, upon reloading the file i once again couldn't reproduce the problem.

Anyways, something I have noticed is if you make fracture presets, lets say keva1 and keva2 for example. And put the keva1 preset on 10 blocks and execute. then you click one of those 10 and set it to use keva2 and execute. All blocks you click on now will have their preset set to keva2, however, the actual settings will still be set the same. so if you clicked on one of the 9 blocks that should have the keva1 preset, its settings will still match the keva1 settings but its selected preset will display as keva2. and if you want to change it to keva2 you'll have to select the keva1 preset (which will change nothing) and then click back to the keva2 preset. at this point the keva 2 preset will actually show and could be executed.

Also i have 2 questions

So the fracturing of all items seems to work most of the time. however, the way my tower is made is by putting the fracture settings on one object and then duplicating it to make the tower. So if i made my tower and then realized i wanted to change my fracture settings and copy it to each object all at once how would i do that? The making of a new preset and then selecting multiple objects and hitting execute fracture only performs the fracture based on each objects individual fracture settings.

My next question would be is there a way to execute the fracture on all objects but at the same time and automatically assign a different seed to each. (This one isn't as important as the last but would be a nice feature)

Here are my latest videos utilizing the Fracture Modifier

Originally Posted by MatteCrystal View Post
    hmm, I decided to retry to fracture them all at once again and it worked this time. However, later on, I was messing around and made a new fracture preset. this one had 5 shards instead of the 10 I had before. I then selected 4 top blocks and hit execute. this caused blender to freeze up and I ultimately had to force close.

So my thoughts initially were maybe it's an issue when you're messing with presets as i remember i was doing the same when i first tried to do the big multi-fracture. However, upon reloading the file i once again couldn't reproduce the problem.

Anyways, something I have noticed is if you make fracture presets, lets say keva1 and keva2 for example. And put the keva1 preset on 10 blocks and execute. then you click one of those 10 and set it to use keva2 and execute. All blocks you click on now will have their preset set to keva2, however, the actual settings will still be set the same. so if you clicked on one of the 9 blocks that should have the keva1 preset, its settings will still match the keva1 settings but its selected preset will display as keva2. and if you want to change it to keva2 you'll have to select the keva1 preset (which will change nothing) and then click back to the keva2 preset. at this point the keva 2 preset will actually show and could be executed.

Also i have 2 questions

So the fracturing of all items seems to work most of the time. however, the way my tower is made is by putting the fracture settings on one object and then duplicating it to make the tower. So if i made my tower and then realized i wanted to change my fracture settings and copy it to each object all at once how would i do that? The making of a new preset and then selecting multiple objects and hitting execute fracture only performs the fracture based on each objects individual fracture settings.

My next question would be is there a way to execute the fracture on all objects but at the same time and automatically assign a different seed to each. (This one isn't as important as the last but would be a nice feature)
    Hmm i tested that preset thing with multiple objects and the cloth modifier as well (which also has presets). So i put a cloth modifier onto an object, selected a preset. Then i added a cloth modifier to another object, and it already had the same preset selected as the first one... hrm seems a limitation in blender in general. (I only made use of the preset system as is in the FM).

And could you show an example of your tower file ? I still dont get it why you cannot just join all planks into 1 object and fracture it with the help of split shards to islands. Or do you want to achieve a certain "look" of the fracture ?

The fracture modifier was mainly designed to work on one or a few individual objects, where each object can consist of (relatively) many shards. Individually fracturing a lot of objects seems to be very tedious.

And split shards shatters the whole joined object with the given amount of shards, and after that decomposes the shards to their original islands. e.g. if you have a brick wall, and a lower amount of shards (say 10) you normally would get 10 islands where each would consist of multiple bricks still. with split shards this will fall apart further into each individual brick. For the keva tower (which consists of many planks, and each plank is a single meshisland) you could apply split shards to islands (+ fracturing) and each shard would look individually different. Its not like the same pattern would be applied to each plank and every fractured plank looks the same, its the other way around.

Edit: example file https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K6...mgXiqxgT4iTraK
    Last edited by scorpion81; 16-Apr-18 at 04:57.
    Finished: 1980 Cadillac , WIP: Ferrari F40 , Ju-87

Originally Posted by scorpion81 View Post
    Regarding the multi-object solution... it is possible in FM 2.79a to connect different fractured objects with external constraints now. So you can just make one object for y-direction splinters, and one for z-direction and fracture both. Then in the helper addon, select both FM objects and press "Connect" under Automations -> Combination. This will create another helper object, which maintains the constraints settings for constraints which "cross" the object border. You should be able to connect even more than 2 objects this way. The constraints will be built there where the objects "touch" (you can set the connection radius to say 0.1 and connection mode to vertex, or keep radius like 1.0 and keep the mode "centroid").
    Each FM object will still maintain their own settings in their constraint sections.
    To setup the connection manually, you can put the desired FM objects into a group, then create another helper object manually. Put an FM onto it, disable all sources. Specify the Group in "Sub object group" and check "Constraints only"... also enable "Use constraints in the helper object. But note, its easier to let the addon do the boring automation work

Fractured Example of your frame wall: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YM...XY0KeHsS8NjwMl (just Alt a to play the animation)

Edit: the external constraint feature was already implemented, and is probably more useful than attempting to have multiple fracture settings inside one object.
    Thanks for the tip, and the file, will look into it!
    2D/3D animator and concept artist from Montreal, Canada
    Mad Steam Studio

Kaik strikes again! Love the airbag demo, lol...it put quite a big smile on my face! Fracture ON!

Hey guys. As im working on the new project-page blenderphysics.com i would love to add some user-reviews.
    Please rate and comment the Fracture Modifier (1-5 stars) in a short text and send it with your full name, a picture of you and your job (hobby, freelancer, animator, etc...) to info[AT]blenderphysics[DOT]com

THANK YOU

Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3070787980