Blender and Python on AMD64?

Hello everybody
I have finally gotten blender 2.34 AMD64 version to work. But it doesn’t detect my Python install. I get the following error upon entering Blender:

Checking for Python install...
No installed Python found.
Only built-in modules are available.  Some scripts may not run.
Continuing happily.

I have Python 2.3.4 for x86_64. Can someone help me? I tried setting my PYTHONPATH environment variable, but it gives me the same error. BTW I’m using Gentoo Linux 2004.2. Thanks

I am a newbie, so treat my comments with suspicion. I have x86_64 Blender 2.35 running in SUSE 9.2 distro. My guess is that on your machine, there is a mix-up between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same object. For example, I see directories for “/usr/lib/Python2.3” and “/usr/lib64/Python2.3”. Can you run “python2.3” from a console?

When I run it, and type “import sys” and “print sys.path”, I get this:

python2.3
Python 2.3.4 (#1, Oct  5 2004, 00:17:14)
[GCC 3.3.4 (pre 3.3.5 20040809)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import sys
>>> print sys.path
['', '/usr/lib64/python23.zip', '/usr/lib64/python2.3', '/usr/lib64/python2.3/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib64/python2.3/lib-tk', '/usr/lib64/python2.3/lib-dynload', '/usr/lib64/python2.3/site-packages', '/usr/lib64/python2.3/site-packages/Numeric', '/usr/lib64/python2.3/site-packages/PIL', '/usr/lib64/python2.3/site-packages/PythonCAD', '/usr/lib64/python2.3/site-packages/gtk-2.0']
>>>

HTH.

I was thinking similar, so I wonder

are you using an official build, or your own?
[a 32 bit, or a possibly 64…]

I had this problem as well. I fixed this by compiling my own version.
See:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34238&highlight=

Thanks for the comments all
Ok, since Blender 2.36 was just released, I downloaded it but I got an error. I have never sucsessfully compiled blender, and I always seem to run into errors when it comes to OpenAL. Here is the error I got:

{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:61: Error: symbol `freq' is already defined
{standard input}:67: Error: symbol `data' is already defined
{standard input}:79: Error: symbol `loop' is already defined
make[3]: *** [/home/tom/blender/obj/linux-glibc2.3.4-x86_64/intern/OpenALSoundSystem/SND_OpenALDevice.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1

I don’t know if this is enough info to solve the problem, and I don’t want to edit the makefile so it doesn’t use OpenAL, because it’s a feature I use. z3r0 d, I was using an unofficial build, can you point me to an official 64-bit build if one exists? Also, Python does work, I can start it from a console without any problems. Thanks

Nevermind, I got it to build with scons. It works now, and it fixed the problem with python too. Thanks for the help all, I was pulling my hair out over this :smiley:

can you point me to an official 64-bit build if one exists?

Doesn’t exist, AFAIK.

I haven’t used “make”; rather “scons”. Very easy! For the slight tweeking under SUSE 9.2, see my two messages on the Blender.org forum, beginning here:

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=32950#32950

I don’t know if any of this information is useful in a Gentoo distro. Don’t give up!

Yee-haw!

I was pulling my hair out over this

This must be the secret ingredient. :smiley:

This time compiled 2.36 for x86_64 without the necessity of changing anything in SConstruct or config.opts file. Yeeha!!

Me, too! x86_64 Blender 2.36 built from source right out of the box - NO TWEAKING!

Many thanks to the coders.

I’m quite happy it works right out of the box. I’m now back working on my game, and also on blender.org, it says they’ll be supporting 64-bit later on. Hoping for 2.37! :smiley: