globubot animation

I’m doing a little anim just for fun.

Here’s a pic

http://www.macouno.com/misc/anim50262.jpg

And here’s a link to a quicktime panorama

http://www.macouno.com/misc/globubots_small.mov

It’s mostly for my portfolio… did all the lighting with AO, except for a single sun that only does spec.

Weird thing though… for the panorama I did a simple 6x square render to get a cubic thing. But somehow with the camera aimed straight up and down the render turned out lighter… even though the sky texture (used for ao) was parented to an empty so that that was static. No idea how that happened. Was easily remidied inside an image editor, but still.

I really like the ligthing style you have going there. It really suits the textures, which evoke ‘TRON’ without actually being anything like it…

Your ‘actors’ also look like they can be interestingly animated, whirling bits, lights inside perhaps.

One crit though, and it isn’t one you may be able to do a whole lot about. Along the bottom edges of the walls, there is a lot of desaturation due to the AO render. It just looks a little off to me.

Can’t wait to see the finished animation! Good work!

Ben

Excellent stuff.

BgDM

Mplayer won’t run it here :frowning:

paroneayea no of course not :wink:

it’s not actually video, it’s qtvr which stands for “quicktime virtual reality”.

So to see it you really need to use the quicktime media player. It’s possible to do a web based javascript version but the quicktime one works better.

a question actually!!

I really like doing panoramas, and I’ve been looking around and basicly I have an idea.

How about not making a panorama out of still images but out of video. Basicly a 3d video…

I’ve seen it done once with a horizontal panorama (so you could look left and right and not up). I’ve only ever done cubic panoramas myself.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to do that sort of thing… or what software to use???

Ben, I know what you mean, am not 100% happy with it myself. But I have to save on rendertime a bit, so I’m only doing ao with 10 samples and an osa of 5, not perfect at all… but the rendertime is around 30mins per image already :wink:

hey macouno,
That’s an awesome effect, i would like to know how to do it. It would be great for you to give us a detailed description on how you would do that. I know i would like to know. Again, very awesome, keep it up.

–Emilie

Neat patterns on the textures there, and cool design on the sphere thingy…i like the render with the lighter color looks better than the panorama one IMO 8)

hmetal if you tell me what effect you mean I’ll explain what I did.

Fried… there are no textures in there apart from a “setting sun sky texture” on the world. All those edges on the balls and in the tunnels are built, not textured.

macouno,
hey man, sorry i wasn’t very specific. I ment the quicktime panorama effect.

–Emilie

Right ok…

Quite simple… get Gocubic.
Here’s a link… I put the .exe on my site, don’t think you need anything more than this… just do a save target as: http://www.macouno.com/misc/GoCubic.exe

Then in blender just place your camera where you want.

Go to camera settings (F9) and set the Lens to 16.00

In scene set the image size to a square with sides divideable by 4.
So for instance size x: 240 Size y: 240 (whatever you like)

Then render 6 images, here’s the rotation attibutes as you get them with the camera selected in the 3d window (hold mouse over 3d window and hit n to get these in transform properties).

image1 RotX 90.000 RotY 0.000 RotZ 0.000
image2 RotX 90.000 RotY 0.000 RotZ 90.000
image3 RotX 90.000 RotY 0.000 RotZ 180.000
image4 RotX 90.000 RotY 0.000 RotZ 270.000
image5 RotX 180.000 RotY 0.000 RotZ 0.000
image6 RotX 0.000 RotY 0.000 RotZ 0.000

Make sure you put the image numbers in the filename, then you only have to select the first to make the cubic file in gocubic.

You can of course use the IPO window to animate the camera through six frames and set the extention on automatic, that’s what I do and it works fine.

Another bit of software that you can use is respam… it’s a small program that makes a javascript that will make a cubic panorama inside a web page out of 6 sepparate images, it’s quite heavy though… gocubic works better.