Import/export for 3DSMax

is their any import/export scripts for 3DSmax and Gmax

if so this would be very helpful

there’s a working md5 importer , fully functiional for md5 game release version, md5 v10, I think. Done by Der_ton.

Recently, very recently, I discovered a japanese page or the like, with strange characters but a fully working Max directx x imoporter. There wasn’t any importer full with bones and weights till now.
So you could export also as x from blender to Max in x format.

As there are md5 an x exporters for blender. Both working.

Importing an OBJ, for static objects, will allways work. You’ll only have to build smooth groups in Max(done very quick), but soon, maybe not even that, surely. Also u need to asign a material/textures, as sometimes the habware.at/duck6.htm or duck4.htm max obj importer, doe snot take materials, but it depends. Uvs and geometry gets alllways there perfect.

So, that way is already solved.

The other way round, max—> Blender, works for statics , as OBJ import in Blender I tested to work perectly (again, with lack of smooth gropus (call it hard egdes if u want)) …but for animated characters with weights and bones…no solution that I am aware of…unless there’s a cal3d blender importer, which I’d doubt, I don’t know of any kind of plugin for this.

It will ABSOLUTELY rock to have an *.x importer for Blender. For example, it will allow people to animate in their XSI or Maya, or Lightwave, export as x (the 3 have very nice free x exporters available) and import in Blender. Those of us who prefer to animate (for now) in those packages, will have the option of porting a character animated in those, and still use Blender as the renderer, scene integration, etc.Would absolutely rock…hehe…Blender is going to have a very nice hair solution thanks to Fiber 3… While XSI hasn’t got nor even in Essentials version (and 6k$ price is not in my plans) the hair…ripped in those basic versions…i maybe wrong, but I think Paint Effects and hair are also removed from Maya Complete…

While to game artists(me) this is non relevant, it’d be sweet for pleasure to do hair rendering projects, too :wink:

If not, characters can be perfectly animated in Blender, too. Is just to add power to the stuff :wink:

Oh, and though Max has Shag Hair, it’s a comercial plugin…not to count on Max is 3.500$…I was speaking of cheaper solutions like XSI Foundation, Maya Complete or Lightwave…as are more in the price tag a very passionate 3d artist can afford… (in some cases, only, though…i can’t pass (or have a serious reason for it) the 500$ barrier, …)

forgot one option you already have.

that is, for animated characters, as statics are never a problem :

md2 script from holcomb.

I have tested it several times and seems to work…

The site is down till dunno what month next year. But many here have the latest plugins (I have them:i just haven’t got any place to upload)

I don’t mention md3, though md3 works in blender export nicely (a modification done recently by other user) there’s no a blender md3 import, and u dig for both directions…

though, whenever u plan and export, md3 is better option for single piece models, (I don’t like chunked/tags style) as it has not the no -floats precission problem in md2: no vertex tremnling in animation like in md2.

Both formats require making a careful uv mapping: Hide seams in parts where geometry hides them. As wherever an UV island ends, it will produce there a geometry seam, as the formats -both, as well as *.3ds- can’t handle two UV vertices per real 3d vertex. So it automatically generates a double, a new vertice—> geometry broken—> smoothing clearly seen seam.

This both ways translate only vertex animation, not bones animation. There are gmax md2 and md3 importers (even md3 exporter for gmax, and…a very unknown md2 maxscript that allows u to export to max listener window in gmax, so to copy and paste into notepad later) But there are no md5 importer for Gmax, that I know. Yep, there’s a md5 gmax exporter . (with that format you couldn’t go blender—>gmax direction )

Max have both md5 importer and exporter, so at least the blender —> max direction, should work great so: u’ll keep bones for further animation.

or using that mostly unknown new x importer…for max.