Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Addon] Video Sequencer -> Easy logging

Nikos, help again! After some renewed interest in the VSE as a proper NLE (at the bf-funboard mail list) I referred to your Easy_Logging 2.0 web site.

But the OP had me thinking... could you also generate metadata tags for the final edited timeline? That is an Edit Decision List (EDL), that records when a clip starts and stops in the timeline.

If so, could this tag cloud be used in other scenes? If so, could the metadata be applied to "Image/movie input nodes" in a compositor scene?
    Cheers, David ___________"awesome in space and other places".
    ________Follow me on twitter @3pointedit
    _____________ Check the Youtube Channel for tutorials. Or my Sketchbook

Damn ! I didn't know a new message has been posted here ! So sorry to respond so late, 3pointEdit !
    So, the answers are yes ! If I am not mistaken, it seems doable to export an EDL from the timeline. A recursive loop would be needed to record the metadata nested inside metastrips. In the same way, an EDL could be imported in a new scene, loading the clips where they need to be, and/or in the compositor. But it would be a dry cut as effects and transitions will not be recorded.

The 2 main issues are:
    1. trimming of Image/Movie Node start and offset values
    2. interacting with nodes in the time dimension.

Making an EDL to reconstruct a node tree is helpful in 2 ways.

First it allows you to edit effect shots on top of each other, adjusting relative timing. You can do this easily with partial dissolve between elements. Then promote them to a compositor scene for proper effects work. The key is getting the timing right, and being able to adjust it to conform any changes to edit. That is when the Director chooses a "better" take ;-)

Also you could send a series of edited shots over to their own scene for a color grade or global effect. That is a general film effect or color wash etc. It could even be a series of sky replacements, that would otherwise be impossible in the VSE (no keying tools). The Image/Movie Nodes would be strung out in some sequential order then switched appropriately at corresponding edit points (using a switch node labeled for it's EDL cut) in master timeline (I guess you might place markers at each cut point?). All you would need to do is interject your effect nodes between the source node and the master output.

Here's a mockup:

VSE EDL Compositor.jpg
    Last edited by 3pointEdit; 25-Oct-15 at 23:28.

Hmmm, I notice that the Action editor allows you to have overlapping strips. I wonder if that would be a functional way to edit frame/duration properties of Image/movie nodes?
    Last edited by 3pointEdit; 26-Oct-15 at 18:09.

Hi Nikos !!
    i am really interested by using your addon and already started to try but i get several weird behaviors (using blender 2.76 or 2.78) :
    - while in "editing table", i insert a tag, select the tag and press "place". It should insert the clip already trimmed right ? but no, i "place" the all clip
    - in "tag scene" generated by "build the tag scene", selecting a single tag strip make no specific behavior: each time i press "place", FIRST: all tags strips are placed, SECOND: all these strips are not placed in the sequence, but IN THE TAG SCENE ITSELF !!!! it is kind of funny but it turns the addon completely useless !!

Do i miss something ? or maybe the plugin is outdated ???
    thanks for your help and your time

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123