Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    +matali : Thks matali for this good news: 2013 GSoC with Jehuty!
    Words are Images that loosed Light!
    Linux Mint 18.2 Saunya - Bi-Quad Intel 2.66Ghz x64Bytes - Nvidia OpenGL GT 630 4Go-vram

Hi all,

Whoo, what a big response!

Originally Posted by matali View Post
    Maybe you could try to have a look to the OpenVDB implementation of the 2013 GSoC :http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Jehuty/GSoC_2013 OpenVDB can convert point clouds of scan into meshes or Voxeloctrees. I use it in Houdini to visualise 3D scans it's insanely fast and memory efficient.
    Thank you for the heads-up and also for showing that it is indeed smart to rely on OpenVDB for this project I will have a closer look into his work.

Originally Posted by anvilSoup View Post
    [...]
    I'm curious, are you aiming to develop something that integrates directly to the blender code, or some manner of extension?
    [...]
    Well, kind of both.
    For now (while writing my bachelor's thesis) it will be a separate piece of software, that will bridge the gap of importing point cloud data (e.g. .xyz or .ply), meshing it, applying textures and exporting the result into something Blender can read (ultimate goal: create a .blend). The purpose of this will be to test algorithms and libraries whether they are suited for the fundamental functionality of providing robust but flexible data structures that are memory-efficient also.
    As a result, this should lead to a source code with several functions that might be integrated easily into the Blender source.

[...]
    This approach likely won't work with the likes of openVDB so if that's the way you are going, it's safe to just ignore me. Unless of course you have something much better in mind.
    [...]
    Haha, I'd never ignore anybody. Mainly from the answers in this thread I am planning on working with OpenVDB, yes. Though, I like your approach with using the more sophisticated libraries, like e.g. Numpy. I am still not really sure, why it is not integrated in Blender, since it is a very popular and nice library for handling those datasets mentioned already by you. Well no, sorry just checked and it is integrated already. But making data manipulation more comfortable is a handy thing.

[...]
    Flakes (sometime later)
    -superbly convenient data manipulation
    -effortless conversion between numpy and openCL buffers and easy GPU computation (possibly also openGL in the future). This bypasses the blender process entirely (fortunately and unfortunately).
    Hmm, looks very neat (can't play the video unfortunately ).
    I have a strong Cinema4D background. I remember how nice Thinking Particles and generally the node-based procedural animation and modelling has been (XPresso). That was the reason I decided to donate money for Lukas' project. Didn't know about your project until now. It is great, keep it up!

Originally Posted by Razorblade View Post
    support for the molecular script, and have a good mesher.. would be nice to have particle emiter interaction too.
    Haha, I love those feature requests from the beloved Blender Community - jk
    Yeah, all those things strongly rely on a good data structure. Python itself is able to call functions from the Blender Core. So, if I could figure out how to mesh a point cloud with OpenVDB, it would be easy to initiate that functionality with a simple python command, imho. And yeah, I am also thinking about how OpenVDB will allow me to simulate the point clouds. I really want to start tinkering with those things.

Officially I will start my thesis from the 15th of January. I already have an idea for my first video explaining the purpose (or use-case) of my thesis.

Before jumping into this huge pool of work, it's time to ease off and relax during christmas.
    Therefore, I'm wishing a merry christmas to all of you and a happy new year. All the best for you and let's get ready for a great new Blender Year in 2015

-Adam
    WATCH OUT: A German has posted that!!! Spelling mistakes included for free! Thanks for reading!
    BlenderEi provides a GERMAN VIDEOTUTORIAL SERIES for Blender 2.5+!
    You can watch it here, on Vimeo or on Youtube.

Hi BlenderEi,

Numpy is already in Blender, or did you mean OpenVDB ? Anyway, many plugins programmers for Blender rely on OpenVDB at the moment. The Mesher Modifier KWD too from http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...esher-Modifier. So it may be a good move to put your efforts together on finalising the integration to master.

Happy christmas

maybe it would be nice if a ploint cloud could be a filling for smoke domain, or a density for a cycles node based fog material.
    For all kind of ghost effects., ideally also a way to convert in 2 directions: mesh <== ==> particle density cloud

Hi all,

Now, after I started my thesis, I finally have something new to show. Firstly, the comments:

Hi BlenderEi,

Numpy is already in Blender, or did you mean OpenVDB ?
    I meant Numpy, but corrected my false assumption during writing the post.

Anyway, many plugins programmers for Blender rely on OpenVDB at the moment. The Mesher Modifier KWD too from http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...esher-Modifier. So it may be a good move to put your efforts together on finalising the integration to master. [...]
    Ah yeah, I saw that. It is great to see OpenVDB in Blender. Because the focus shifted from a pure Blender core integration to an external software, I have to postpone this for now. It looks like there is only a little step left to finalize the integration seeing that the most important work has been done already (getting it to work basically).

Originally Posted by PGTART View Post
    maybe it would be nice if a ploint cloud could be a filling for smoke domain, or a density for a cycles node based fog material.
    For all kind of ghost effects., ideally also a way to convert in 2 directions: mesh <== ==> particle density cloud
    Interesting, indeed. I think there is a little more information needed to get point clouds converted to voxels, though. Of course this can be an additional option panel after choosing the convert command. It might be possible to get the 2-way-conversion handeled by OpenVDB (the toolset overview offers a few conversion functions: http://www.openvdb.org/download/openvdb_toolset.pdf).

Now to the state of my bachelor thesis:
    I uploaded the first few videos (motivation, two development vlogs and current software screencast - more are recorded, but not published yet). You can find those videos - as promised - directly on: http://bachelor.kalisz.co/

I can only embed one YoutubeVideo (also not a playlist) here, so if you don't want to use the link above:

So this is what I am currently working on. Hope you like it.
    My goal is to finish the software development in about a month and then start reconstructing the building facade of a historic building from 1602 in Blender. Details in the videos

See you then, happy blending!

-Adam
    WATCH OUT: A German has posted that!!! Spelling mistakes included for free! Thanks for reading!
    BlenderEi provides a GERMAN VIDEOTUTORIAL SERIES for Blender 2.5+!
    You can watch it here, on Vimeo or on Youtube.

Hi Artists of Blender,
    I was in a situation where I needed to render point cloud data for a film I was making and was certain there would be options out there, alas there still isn't any good free or OSS way to do that (this was about 3 years ago). After shooting a great deal of point clouds, I was hooked on their etherial look. Ben Torkington, a very talented programmer and great friend of mine wrote a stand-alone application to render the film, extremely fast, straight OpenGL rendering. Anyway, for those of you wanting to take a look at the potential of Point Cloud rendering, please take a look. This is a story, not just architectural single models, but many different models combined with live action. Unfortunately the film renders terribly in h.264 under Vimeo/Youtube.

For those interested in software to animate your point clouds, Ben had released and alpha of our software, with a new version coming out very soon, see http://dotswarm.nz to download and have a go.

I know this isn't a blender solution, but who knows, one day...!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dbucket3/SIFTED_1334p_15mbps.mp4
    700meg version

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dbucket3/Si...TER_prores.mov 8.5 gig version! ( The best/BEAST! - dark room, turn up the volume!)

Hi,
    I'm new here and I find your thread very interesting.

Have you ever used a software called "Splat Generator", I found it in github one day while I was looking for a blender point cloud importer. This software seems to be very interesting, but I'm not able to use it. I'm not very good with Prompt commands, I think that this is the reason why the software doesn't work. Some of you could help me?

My purpose is: import a point cloud into blender and then make a little movie with a camera and the point cloud.
    The problem is this: when I import the point cloud, this cloud doesn't have the color when I try to render it ... I need the colooorr (grrr). This happens both in blender render and in cycles render.

So my questions are:
    - have you ever used "splat generator"?
    - if the answer is YES, someone of you could explain me how to use it?
    - does exist, in blender 2.75, an alternative solution to solve problems?

Thank you artists

Hi,
    I'm new here and I find your thread very interesting.
    Have you ever used a software called "Splat Generator", I found it in github, one day, while I was looking for a blender point cloud importer. This software seems to be very interesting, but I'm not able to use it. I'm not very good with Prompt commands (Windows), I think this is the reason why the software doesn't work. Some of you could help me?

My purpose is: import a point cloud into blender and then make a little movie with a camera and the point cloud.
    The problem is this: when I import the point cloud, this cloud doesn't have the color when I try to render it ... I need the colooorr (grrr). This happens both in blender render and in cycles render.

So my questions are:
    - have you ever used "splat generator"?
    - if the answer is YES, someone of you could explain me how to use it?
    - does exist, in blender 2.76, an alternative solution to solve problems?

Thank you artists

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12