Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [BETA] CubeSurfer addon (mesher)

[BETA] CubeSurfer addon (mesher)

Hi everyone,

I want to share with all of you the progress of my current project. After released my molecular addon , many user ask to have a good "mesher". Mohamed Sakr give it a try with the OpenVDB librairy and get really good performance but have some memory issues with it. he waiting to get the librairy integrated with official Blender. Until this , I'm trying something different. I starting with this C++ tutorial ( Paul Bourke ) and this integration in Python ( Yeus ).

Download beta now available:

http://pyroevil.com/cubesurfer-addon-download/

Rough documentation available here:
    http://pyroevil.com/cubesurfer-documentation/

Making some optimisation and transfert it in Cython , I starting to get some interesting result as show here:

A - Calculation time it's for a 200x200x200 resolution cubes with the "peanut" shape function from Yeus.

1- Original Yeus python script (with it's original volume function): 900sec
    2- Yeus python script with tritable has Global variable instead be call everytime: 160sec
    3- Convert and adapt script to cython with somes optimisation: 5.8sec
    4- Avoid creating voxel in memory: 5.8sec but Blender to stay at 80Mo of memory instead a peak of 1gigs.

B - Optimisations on how I get the particles volumes to be meshed:
    1.bruteforce with all voxel = 10particles:2.3sec | 100particles:15.1sec | 1000particles:144sec | 10k particles: too long

2.bruteforce with voxel optimisation = 10particles:0.006sec | 100particles:0.16sec | 1000particles:3.8sec | 10kparticles:43.4sec | 100kparticles:435.1sec

3.optimised voxel and particles = Hard to benchmark because now voxel bounding box ajust by itself but for high numbers of particles the addons it's 10times faster.

4.Multithreaded and Space partitionning = Hard to benchmark now because voxel bounding box ajust by itself but for high numbers of particles ( 100k ... 1millions and many mores ) it's 10times faster then before.

Now I need to finish this things :

1- Beta test phase

Why I did this addon ? For having fun with the limited coding skills I have and learn about this algorythm. To give to Blenders users a good (I hope) mesher until a more experienced dev code one with openVDB librairy or similar.

iso_both_wip.jpg
    Last edited by Pyroevil; 17-Jan-15 at 13:32.
    PyroEvil
    --My Blog--molecular script--CubeSurfer--NNetwork AI---My Youtube--
    Sorry for my poor english!

This look great !
    It could be even more amazing if the isosurface could be generated also from :
    A)meshes with only vertices
    B)a group,for example with only empty objects.
    Maybe with your script it can allready be done,but if not,please take it into consideration.

Originally Posted by renderdemon View Post
    This look great !
    It could be even more amazing if the isosurface could be generated also from :
    A)meshes with only vertices
    B)a group,for example with only empty objects.
    Maybe with your script it can allready be done,but if not,please take it into consideration.
    Yes , I already thinking about this and it's will be easy to make. The only things it's send to the compiled cython module it's point data location with it's size. So you can send anythings with this informations. Thanks for the reminder
    PyroEvil

This looks awesome - could be a very valuable addition to Blender. i'll watch this with interest.

Great Pyroevil, thanks for all your efforts.

What can this be used for?Can it be used for videogames?

Its looking good. A much needed feature in my opinion. Good luck with this.

Hey! this looks very promising. Looking forward to seeing more updates. So will this be a modifier or something? How are you planning on having this work?

Originally Posted by Indy_logic View Post
    Hey! this looks very promising. Looking forward to seeing more updates. So will this be a modifier or something? How are you planning on having this work?
    Probably in the same way of molecular , by installing a python addon. It's possible to make a "python modifier" ?
    PyroEvil

A modifier should have better performance AFAIK, have a look to the Fracture modifier for example.

Originally Posted by SamCameron View Post
    A modifier should have better performance AFAIK, have a look to the Fracture modifier for example.
    Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but modifiers itself have nothing to do with performance. Fracture addon is a python script and probably fracture modifier is C++ compiled. It's probably the reason why this modifier is faster. Molecular and this addon is compiled. So no need to do modifier to get performance gain (significantly). Somebody can confirm ?
    PyroEvil

loooking forward.

Originally Posted by SamCameron View Post
    I think modifiers are actually hard-coded into Blender/not written in python and compiled, no? Aka, they cant be python addons? So until a plugin is approved and the code has been dissected, fortified, and optimized, I think this isn't really helpful... I am not a dev though, so I am not sure of the process, I could be wrong.

Anyhow, pyro, this is exciting, I hope you can get this working - I would love to see it functioning in tandem with your molecular addon.

Originally Posted by 3d solar system builder View Post
    What can this be used for?Can it be used for videogames?
    It's a compiled python module so I can use it anywhere I want after. If you give to it the right inputs (points location and size , domain dimension and resolution) , it's return the resulting output (polygons list). My priority is to make a UI for vfx part of Blender. After that it's can be interesting if it's can be used in BGE too. The only problem I see first is if BGE is be able to create new geometry (eith new polygons and vertices) when it's running.
    Last edited by Pyroevil; 21-Oct-14 at 05:45.
    PyroEvil

Why can't vertices be instanced and parented in the bge?

Originally Posted by 3d solar system builder View Post
    Why can't vertices be instanced and parented in the bge?
    Probably , I not really well know BGE . So when I'm finish the core of the addon , I'm be glad to make something for BGE if somebody show me how to create mesh at runtime.
    Last edited by Pyroevil; 21-Oct-14 at 11:02.
    PyroEvil

Another part of optimisation is done !

Optimisations on how I get the particles volumes to be meshed:

1.bruteforce with all voxel = 10particles:2.3sec | 100particles:15.1sec | 1000particles:144sec | 10k particles: too long

2.bruteforce with voxel optimisation = 10particles:0.006sec | 100particles:0.16sec | 1000particles:3.8sec | 10kparticles:43.4sec | 100kparticles:435.1sec

3.optimised voxel and particles = 10particles:0.005sec | 100particles:0.03sec | 1000particles:0.29sec | 10kparticles:2.05sec | 100kparticles:27.9sec | ***100kparticles less interpenatred: 2.3sec***

With all current optimisation , time with high numbers of particles depends on how much particles is inside each others. With molecular or Fluid particles , this kind of intepenetration stay at it's mi
    nimum soo I thinks it's will be good. Now I need to do a bit of cleaning and multithread everything!

iso_both_wip.jpg

Image above: at left Suzanne (molecular simulation) with 1millions of particles (20sec) and at left a block of sand with 4millions of particles (70sec).4millions particles for the "crashing box" at right. I don't keep the .blend files but if I remember the mesh polygons count goes around 400k - 600k polys. A not too bad resolution (200x200x200 domain resolution).
    Last edited by Pyroevil; 21-Oct-14 at 16:24.
    PyroEvil

I guess this would be no use for animation as each frame would be a cache mesh? But you could sim a flow with the molecules then choose a frame to mesh. Is that correct? Is there mesh relaxing techniques to smooth large contiguous surfaces, like water, but keep the break up at the interaction site?
    Cheers, David ___________"awesome in space and other places".
    ________Follow me on twitter @3pointedit
    _____________ Check the Youtube Channel for tutorials. Or my Sketchbook

Working on one as well. Except the mesh will be controllable after surfacing particles. (Scale,rotate,move,subdivide,smooth, add modifiers like waves, etc.)

Originally Posted by Albertofx View Post
    Working on one as well. Except the mesh will be controllable after surfacing particles. (Scale,rotate,move,subdivide,smooth, add modifiers like waves, etc.)
    Nice Work Albertofx! It's seam to perform very well! Available to download and test ?
    Did you use a special librairy ( like openvdb ) and which language is used (python , cython , C++ ...)
    Same thing for mine , controllable after surfacing like any geometry object.
    Last edited by Pyroevil; 15-Nov-14 at 08:31.
    PyroEvil

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast