Invalid vertices and ghost meshes!

hi everyone,

do you know mazda-mx5 ? Its a very nice model which i’ve downloaded from free models page of blender. I used it with my exporter and faced 2 problems :

1. Plane.017 mesh has an invalid vertex which has (-1.IND#,-1.IND#,-1.IND#) coordinates. I can catch it with a little :
try:
catch ValueError:
  print 'Invalid Vertex '

Is there a script (or patch) for repairment of such cases? Furthermore isnt it a bug that Blender should deal with?

1. In the same file, there is a Sphere.002 object and a same name mesh data linked to it. You can see it at the outliner view. The problem is; Blender doesnt let you select the mesh data. When you select the object at the outliner nothing is selected at the 3d view [!] Blender seems to have forgotten it! :slight_smile: On the other hand a big and weird sphere is seen in my exported file. I mean python script can reach the mesh data. Why? and how?
    I can send the model to anyone who is concerned.

Thanks In Advance
Burak

it certainly sounds like a problem with your ideas of blender, and your exporter

I’ll start with your misconceptions

only objects are selectable in blender. In python you can mess with objects as well, and if you look at the api for them there is very little specific to a particular type other than getData()

getData() from a mesh object returns the mesh data [block]. Selecting this in the outliner or oops window has no meaning because it doesn’t correspond to anything you can see in any view, unless it is linked to an object. Any number of objects can use this mesh datablock [or lamp datablocks, or material datablocks, or whatever]

… now then, it does seem strange you are getting weird numbers for the vertex location… I think we will have to see this mesh.

i sent the file to you.

Let us have a look at my conception first.
What i see at the outliner is a tree having some leaf nodes. The ones with three arrow icons are objects and store the transformation and type data and are linked directly to the root scene. More than one data can be linked to one object but they have to be of same type. One of them is the one with a “little triangle lit 3 vertices” icon which means the mesh data. When i click on one of them Blender activates Mesh Tools windows explicitly. Sphere.002 has exactly the same icon but does not activate anything.

Ghost (!) Sphere.002 is linked to Sphere.002 object.
Also i verified a vertex in plane.017 has (-1.#IND,-1.#IND,-1.#IND) coordinates by writing its coordinates to a text file.

Burak