Camera exporting from Blender to 3d Max

Hi,

I want to export and animated camera from Blender to 3d Max. I’ve tried a lot of different formats but I’m having a lot of problems. When I tried to export using .fbx, the camera is flipped in the opposite direction and the animation that was on the camera has become applied to the geometry. I tried changing the forward axis but to no avail. So then I tried using .dae , which seems to work better, but there is still some problem with the camera when I import it into max. The camera has been motion tracked in Blender, and the tracking is perfect in Blender, but when I import it into Max, the tracking is way off. Does anyone know a way to fix this or what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks

Dude, I have literally the same problem but I’m exporting to Maya. I have to figure this out and once I do I’ll post the solution. If you find something, post here as well!

Also, a tip: make sure the framerates in both Blender and Max match the framerate of the footage before exporting. That seems to help in my case.

This worked properly with older Blender versions, I’ve been using Blender as my tracking software for a few projects already, so it might be a version thing as well. I remember using 2.62 for an older VFX project with Maya 2012 and it worked

Solved it.

• Set the framerate in Blender and Max/Maya to be the same as the footage is.
  • Bake the camera animation in Blender. Press T to open the toolbox, select Animation tab and click Bake Action. In the dialog that opens, check Clear constrains, Clear parents and Only selected. Choose the frame range and click OK
  • Motion path has disappeared and now you have keyframes. Make sure the camera still moves the same way.
  • Go to File->Export->Autodesk FBX
  • Now here’s the key. For Version select FBX 6.1 ASCII
  • Set your up axis to Z if you’re using Max. For Maya, leave it to Y.
  • Set your forward axis, I don’t know what is it for Max, try the default.
  • Don’t touch the scale unless you really need to
  • Export.
  • Make sure to set the framerate right in Max before importing! That must be done!
  • Import and enjoy.

That’s it. Works for Blender 2.72 and Maya 2015. Report did it work!

Cheers,
David.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the tips! That really helped me out, it works perfectly! Except I have a weird thing where I have to move the keyframes up by just one keyframe after importing. Both timelines are set exactly the same and they are set to the same frame rate so I don’t know what else it could be. But that’s not a big deal, so it’s all good.

Thanks again!

No problem, I had to get that solved so I just shared it!

I have the same thing, I use Nuke for compositing and I have to TimeOffset by 1 frame and in Maya, I have to offset the image plane with the footage on it so it matches. Don’t know why but it’s not a big deal at all.

Glad it worked for you! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for sharing, this has been really helpful :smile:

hey_thx BTW it worked but make sure not to forgot to on camera in import settings(Maya) in thats a bit that…u know btw it worked thx.

has anyone managed to get this working in 2.8? I don’t seem to find the ascii option for fbx in there, as opposed to 2.79

1 Like

Is anyone here in 2023? Why do this important topics fade into history? We need updated information. Is there a simpler way to do that today? It didn’t work for me and the instructions are obsolate.

1 Like