Need 3ds script

Hello!

I need a python script for blender to import/export 3ds files. I’ve seen a lot of links to Bob Holcomb’s website, seems that he has a nice script there. Unfortunatly, the website has been down for me for several days, could anyone upload the script somewhere else please? Would be much appreciated.

I think this is the one you want, there are several:

http://www.friendlyskies.net/Blender-3DS_and_more.zip

That’s great, that’s exactly what I was looking for. Now I just have one more question: can I add it to the file->export/import menus?

okay, i just downloaded that, but for some reason i only get the export option, and half the other i/e option are gon, that dont matter, as i only need to use .3ds files and .blend. any tips?

in user preferennces , in blender -provided u already copied the scripts to blender scripts folder- in “paths” or something like that (I’ma blender noob, never remember the exact names) u have a tiny icon besides python path, that says -when mouse over- something like “re-evaluate” or something. Hit that one. Should work.

I found the answer to that one last night and reported it as a bug.

When Blender starts up, it scans the Python directories and builds a file (“.blender/Bpymenus”) which has the catalog. Each script includes text, seen by Python as a comment, which tells Blender where to put stuff. And herein lies the bug…

If more than one script is found that wants to be in a particular spot on the menu, Blender will report the problem (but only if you start it on the command-line with “blender -d”), and then it will stop without processing any other entries! So what has happened is that Blender added the export entry (probably going through the directory in alphabetic order), and stopped before encountering the import entry. The offending entry may have nothing to do with 3DS; in fact, I can pretty much say for sure that it does not.

The bug lies in: source/blender/python/BPY_menus.c. I’ve seen it myself.

Nice work finding that bug, sundial.

I assume it is possible to edit the headers of offending .py files to mitigate the problem?

an update to Bob Holcombs 3ds import script can be found here
http://home.netspeed.com.au/mcginnes/blender/import-3ds.py

it imports uv too. I recommend that “remove doubles” is run in the imported meshes.

Damien