[Addon] Edger - 0.3.6

Edger is edit-mode tool that “locks vertices on a line” allowing the mesh to behave like it has only one edge on some parts, while that edge is divided. It eases manipulations of mesh that needs edgeloops for subdivision operators.

Features:

• lock vertices on a line they sit
  • make them unselectable
  • create a duplicate of the mesh without edgeloops (keeps original)
  • on locked vertex click, automatically select nearest corner
  • coloring of vertices and edges (edger groups to see what is added)

Issues:

• minor situations where things don’t update on mesh change. Just tab out and back to edit-mode
  • faces get wierd shadows when verts are moved and canceled, they correct on any valid move, or on tab out n back.

Links:

Technical:
Modal operator, works with bmesh. Stores edgeloops in vertex groups, makes a list of custom classes that contain each vertex, its two line ends and ratio to one of them. Sets target vert position on the line with stored ratio so when any of ends is moved the vertex moves with them. Deselects all verts from edger groups.

Video:

Thanks to @ideasman42 for consulting!

Hope you like it! All comments/questions/suggestions welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

very cool! thanks!

No problem! :slight_smile: glad you like it!
Just a note, any verts can be added, but only edgeloops are supported for “Clear Loops”. I’ll update soon with automatic check for that.

It’s a shame this plugin has some of the technical issues you described, but the concept and current implementation is looking pretty sweet! I’ll probably try this out when not working on time-dependant projects :3

Thanks! All issues will be solved soon!

Very very cool job!

Thank you ^^

Solved vert injecting problem, updated to 0.3.0

Cool! Thanks!

Looks cool and kind a procedural =)
Awesome idea!

Thank you )

Hy Radivarig,

after using clear loops i got this error (version 0.3.5):

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.76\scripts\addons\edger.py", line 452, in execute
    context.scene.isEdgerActive = False
AttributeError: 'Scene' object attribute 'isEdgerActive' is read-only

@mkbreuer Fixed! Thanks for reporting )