Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening the Dark Portal

Opening the Dark Portal

Cheers guys!

so i'm back with something new!
    I was really interested in take a full scene start to finish lately, so when i saw the last CGSociety Hardcore Modelling challenge i couldnt be out, such inspiring theme!

I'm really tired since i'm awake until now tweaking some photoshop layers and doing weird stuff on blender, so i'll be short and to the point, here's the renders:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	opening_darkportal.jpg 
Views:	19756 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	361510

Name:	Darkportal_CGS.jpg 
Views:	11433 
Size:	371.4 KB 
ID:	361511

Managing the viewport is like playing Crysis on a smartphone, so yea, very funny

I usually do a breakdown of my renders, this time as i'm reeaally tired of being awake for now, i will put a link to my W.I.P Thread on CGSociety, there you can see a detailed making of, hope you like!

HCR MINI-Challenge #43: Magic Door - The Black Portal - World of Warcraft

Anything, just ask and i'll do my best to answer, cheer for me in the competition! lets throw blender in CGSociety!

~~
    Last edited by Sepultura; 12-Feb-15 at 19:39. Reason: Why do you want to know?
    Art Director @ Blender Guru
    I mean, you don't want to look my reel.

Aw, why not:

some other stuff, just for fun:

Name:	Wire.jpg 
Views:	1107 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	361527

a pseudo wireframe/AO from the final scene, this stuff is divided up in 7 layers, maybe seems a bit overkill, but, 90% is pure instanced geometry, and for the render, cycles is using around 1gb for everything

don't know why i'm showing this but, yea, here is:

Name:	orthogonal.jpg 
Views:	1126 
Size:	257.8 KB 
ID:	361528

we never know when someone will want to see your orthographic ambient occlusion renders

So, it's it for now, don't forget to take a look at the w.i.p thread for more info!

Cheers!

Amazing work mate, love the goth style in all yout renders. They may be a bit dark (pun intended), but that just makes them look more appealing.

This is just amazing, very nice scene and composition.

"All right, all right! That's it! I'm not takin' any more of this! Go straight to The Gallery, without any supper!"

Absolutely excellent!!! That is what I like to see! Keep up the great work!
    One nerd to rule them all, One nerd to write them. One nerd to compile them all, And in the linker bind them.
    Sketchbook | Sanctuary Rising | Piles'N'Tiles

It looks like it would belong in Middle Earth (during a time frame well before the events of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings during the first war against Sauron, even though the link specifically mentions Warcraft).

I concur that you have perhaps put a ton of work into this, how long did this take exactly?
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

Wow! Love everything, from storytelling to render; the level of detail is amazing!
    Great job!
    You can take a look at my work here:
    http://bricetelukstudio.com

Follow me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/bricetelukstudio
    or twitter: https://twitter.com/BTeluk

YOU MUST LOVE THE WORLD OF WARCRAFT LIKE ME BEEN PLAYING SINCE 2006 AND A BLENDER USER , IN FACT YOUR IMAGE OF THE DARK PORTAL MORE EPIC LOOKING THEN THE GUY WHO MADE THE DARK PORTALhttp://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/.../revision/latest...
    and hell yea you have my vote for best of the month ,its too epic not to win

Wow amazing work!

@The Sun, @axelredfield, @sundialsvc4, @Synagl0w, @CraftyCG, @ferrettank:

Hey, thanks very much, guys! <3

I'm glad you liked it, this means a lot for me!

Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
    It looks like it would belong in Middle Earth (during a time frame well before the events of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings during the first war against Sauron, even though the link specifically mentions Warcraft).

I concur that you have perhaps put a ton of work into this, how long did this take exactly?
    Hey Ace, what if i told you my main inspiration for this was LotR? Even though the model being a Warcraft one
    Actually, my first idea for this challenge was to model Erebor, from the Hobbit, but i was concerned that maybe not will finish in time, so my Plan B was the Dark Portal, which i really like as well (maybe because resembles LotR mood a bit?)

I took around 10 days to do it on my spare time, i would say half of them just testing different moods and thinking what path to choose, since doing things in a open thread is way different than in secret alone, you can't just quit everything and start another thing, and this is a bit scary, but also very motivational
    You can take a closer look on this in my W.I.P Thread on CGSociety, i dropped the link in the first post, there u can have a better idea about the progress

Originally Posted by Rafael/PR View Post
    YOU MUST LOVE THE WORLD OF WARCRAFT LIKE ME BEEN PLAYING SINCE 2006 AND A BLENDER USER , IN FACT YOUR IMAGE OF THE DARK PORTAL MORE EPIC LOOKING THEN THE GUY WHO MADE THE DARK PORTALhttp://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/.../revision/latest...
    and hell yea you have my vote for best of the month ,its too epic not to win
    Yeah! actually World of Warcraft is my favorite game until now so far!
    Because of them i became interested in environment art and doing handpainted stuff

i've already did another render about them a long time ago: http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...ays&highlight=

Glad you liked, love your comment!

Pretty insane stuff! The energy in the portal could be more fancy, but the 3D stuff is just *****!!!

It's breathtaking man ! Amazing amount of work and quality *.*

Uff¡¡ how long it took you to finish something so big?

Mind = blown. Amazing and so inspiring!

Amazing work! I love every pixel, you really nailed it! This could be the frame of any hollywood fantasy blockbuster! Congratulations!
    Blender Cycles: Lighting and Rendering Cookbook - http://www.packtpub.com/blender-cycl...-cookbook/book
    ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/bernardo

The second render is my favorite.
    Always wanted to do a sculpting + rocks etc etc scene.
    Amazing. Congratulations.

WOW! This is freaking amazing. I like the style of your render as well as the fact, that the portal is built up though it is built aswell

@Blenderwelder, @rattle-snake, @cgstrive, @Bernardo, @Schwalberich:

Whoa, thanks very much, guys!
    Such a amazing feel when you see that all the work you put into something worth it!

Originally Posted by Yanclos View Post
    Uff¡¡ how long it took you to finish something so big?
    Took between 7 to 10 days, in my spare time;
    Rendering took around 30 hours, 4k @1024 samples in my junky workstation
    Actually almost the whole scene is being lit by indirect lighting, so yea D:

Just wanted to see if i could burn my current pc to have a reasonable internal excuse for buying a new one

Originally Posted by michalis View Post
    The second render is my favorite.
    Always wanted to do a sculpting + rocks etc etc scene.
    Amazing. Congratulations.
    Aw man, doing large scale landscapes is amazing, sculpting rocks, stacking meshs together to get a "organic feel", just lovely stuff to do, my only bottleneck was my PC, a poor core 2 duo with a old quadro with 256mb, in a good workstation i think you just should be crazy doing hi res meshes with less brutal normal map, scattering trees, grass and who knows some volumetric rendering as well! i strongly recommend to do this, can give you some nice moments with blender!

Glad you liked, Cheers!

Holy shit ! It looks like a shoot from blizzard cinematic. Well done dude !
    btw. Do you work in any game industry or just as a freelancer ?
    Last edited by korinek; 13-Feb-15 at 06:18.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast