BMW Scene in realtime

As the author of the original ‘Cycles BMW Benchmark’, I thought it would be interesting to see the same car running in the game engine. So I spent a weekend redoing the scene, materials, lighting, and geometry to make it more game-friendly. The result is this:

Techniques used:

• Videotexture for the realtime reflection
  • Easymaterial Uber material for the ground material
  • Lots of textures layers including liberal use of stencil (No nodes)
  • 2D filters for color enhancement and vignette

You can download the work-in-progress Blender source file here.

That looks very realistic, I have been watching your twitter and the screenshots you share there of EasyMaterial, It’s looks like a very good addon. That car looks very high poly…

Nice work, mike, as usual. If you don’t mind, I think I’ll make some modifications. Also, do you have a low poly version of the model? My computer doesn’t seem to like 98,000 polys.

Thanks!

Of course you are welcomed to play with the file however you want. I am still optimizing the scene myself. The only geometry change I did was replacing the tires/tyres with a simpler mesh.

Currently the bottleneck seems to be the mirror reflection routine. If I disable that, I can get a solid 60fps. With it on, I can only get 30fps.

Can I handle this!!!:open_mouth:

3 fps, lol:d

Haha, well, on the bright side, if this were a Cycles scene, you’d have the fastest rendering time.

Awesome work :slight_smile:
60fps on a gtx970

GTX970!?!?! Are you all millionars here??? How is it possible to get such good GPUs? o_O

Unfourtunately, a little problem in RtoT so I don’t get so good reflection:(

Hi, what should i do? or It do?

After I press start or P(lay). I just got a still frame, is that correct?
Can/should i move around or something else?

It does show 60FPS in the left corner.

GTX770

The CPU stats you placed in your signature show you have a bargain basement GeForce 610 (which is about as low-end as you can get for any series).

That’s why it would run at only 3 FPS, the only games it can run at playable speeds would be those that limit the graphics use to basic effects.

You can get a low-end GT610 for £40, or a GTX 460 (my card) for about £40-50 (should be cheaper, surely these days), and that can run at 30 fps, no trouble.

Yes, but I meant GTX9xx series with second number bigger than 6… Theese cost at least €300,00, but usually about €500,00. Also, Titan Z costs more than €1’700,00…:expressionless:

The Titan Z right now is geared more for those who are using a GPU to render images and animation in software like Cycles, it’s currently a bit overkill for game development (even in engines such as Unreal 4).

A GTX 970/980 should be enough to play most games on high settings for the next few years.

There is no animation yet. But you can switch to the other camera and use it to orbit the scene.

Nice scene (60fps with older GTX560). The car painting material is very realistic. Of course 100k vertises is huge amount for one car
in game engines.

Now I want to get that car drive …

Edit:
Oh eah, did not noticed mirror effect first time, but 60 fps with that too

I know how to make it drive, but… Yeah… That’s will be problem for me… Anyway- limit max velocity of car and make it force motion or use property speed combined with multiple motions(like in my 6th Gear game):wink:

A couple more pictures (with light color correction):

Can you bake that detail over to a low poly mesh?

:smiley: