Vertices keep reapearing in almost all Bone vertex groups

Hi all,
I am working on a rigged character’s weights. It has several corrective shape keys, and after completing one, six vertices at the neck (3 on mirrored on each side) of my character responded to movements in the forearm. They have very weak weights from most of the bones in the hands.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? Whenever I try to remove the influence, it goes back to how it was and sometimes affects move vertices than before. I have included two images comparing to vertices.

I have spent quite a long time in frustration. Please let me know if a little more info on my part would be helpful.
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

That’s an odd one. Can you reproduce the issue? Does it happen only after making a shapekey?

You may need to supply a blend for a full investigation.

Sometimes, when you select vertices to put into a shape key, Blender unaccountably adds a few extra vertices to your selection. This is frequently unnoticed because you are working close up, or the verts are on the other side of the model. I recommend, before assigning anything to a shape key, that you zoom out and go to wire frame view just to make sure some of these bandits haven’t slipped into your selected vertices.

Thanks for the reply! Here is an image showing the weights (it’s hard to see, but the selected bone is in the left hand). It seems that every bone has the vertices at the neck and face assigned (with the exception of shins, feet, toes, jaw, and head). I can paint them out or remove them from vertex groups manually, but they always come back. At one point, I used in weight paint mode: W> “Assign Automatic from Bones” on the hand deformation bones. It worked, but at some time the weights went back. I’m not exactly sure when it happens. All I know is that it occurs when switching between the rig and character in various modes.

Just a side thought: I know that if I want to modify the mesh I should have my basis shape key selected. Could having another shape key selected in weight paint mode be the problem? I know that I did not have my basis selected for a while.

Tomorrow I’ll be able to share a .blend file if I need to.
Thanks

Attachments