Import Wings 3D files to Blender?

Hello!

I am completely new to Blender and I’m loving it. I have started with some simple tutorials on YouTube to get to know the program a bit.

However, I have been working with Wings 3D for a couple of years, making timber framing models and I find Wings a lot easier for these sort of things, at least thus far. Wings lets you eaily measure lengths/distances and type in how far I want to extrude or drag a certain section which lets me make timber joinery quite fast. I also find it easier to navigate the view in Wings which also makes the process a lot easier. Perhaps it’s just me being a “newborn” in Blender and not yet knowing how to do these things quickly that is the problem and over time I might learn that it’s just as easy to do them in Blender, but for now I would like to be able to import files from Wings into Blender so I can do all the fancy stuff that I now feel that I want to do with the model I’ve made. Adding materials, textures, lighting etc. and make really nice pictures of the houses I create.

So (sorry for my long introduction) here’s my question - is there a way to import models from Wings into Blender? Or are these two programs incompatible? And please remember that I am completely new to all this and I don’t consider myself to be well versed in computer language so please explain it in detail if possible :slight_smile: I am really looking forward to get going with my 3D timber joinery and I hope someone here are willing to help me :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!
/Greenbeard

I’m not aware of a script for Blender to open Wings3D files directly. But according to its user manual Wings can export

• Nendo® (.ndo)
  • 3D Studio (.3ds)
  • BZFlag (.bzw)
  • Collada (.dae)
  • Cartoon edges (.eps)
  • Kerkythea (.xml)
  • Lightwave or Modo (.lwo, .lxo)
  • Wavefront (.obj)
  • POV-Ray (.pov)
  • Renderware (.rwx)
  • StereoLithography (.stl)
  • VRML 2.0 (.wrl)
  • DirectX (.x)
  • Yafray (.xml)

Of those, at least .3ds, .stl (both not preferable), .dae and .obj can be imported into Blender.

Ok, thanks. I tried to export the files as .obj and then imported it to Blender and it worked :slight_smile: Now I can start playing around with materials, textures and lighting for my models :slight_smile: Thanks!