[Solved] Rigify head control controlling neck instead of head

Does anyone know how to get my head control to control the head bone rather than the neck bone? (And also move the rotation point to the base of the head bone instead of the neck where it currently is?)

I’m not sure why it’s currently controlling the neck, I think something odd happened when I generated the rig, but I didn’t discover it until I’d already fully weight painted it to my model. How can I fix this control so it behaves properly?

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/35554

I had a very quick look… so there might be more issues but it looks like a constraint missing from a bone DEF-head.

Try and add this and see if it works for you. Select the bone and add the constraint from the bone constraints panel.

Regards…

Generate a new rig. It’s best if you do not delete the metarig from your scene. I store it on the last layer with the generated control shapes. This way, I can generate a new rig, or make adjustments to the bone positions without having to start from scratch.

It looks like you are missing some constraints on the head. How that happened is beyond me.

Delete the old rig. Generate a new one. Select your mesh and type rig in your armature modifier to hook the new rig to the mesh. Move the metarig to the last layer.

Good luck!

This solved it exactly. Thank you so much! A few clicks compared to re-generating and re-weight painting is quite a headache saver. There were a couple other things I caught that the generated rig created incorrectly, no clue why, but didn’t find them until after I was mid-texture weighting-this was the only one I wasn’t able to figure out myself. Thank you so much, you taught me something new and saved me the headache of needlessly re-weighting it to my model… and potentially having new broken parts to find, not sure why it’s creating them with random parts broken, but learning how these rigs work and how to fix them has really helped, so thank you for taking the time to go through the forums and help inexperienced folks like myself. :slight_smile:

You should not have to re-weight. The deform bones will be the same and your mesh already has the vertex groups.

Glad you got it to work, anyways.

That’s interesting knowledge, I’m not all that familiar with rigify yet but that sounds like something super useful. Thank you for the advice! Glad there were two good solutions for this problem. :slight_smile: