EdgeSlide0.5

( also on www.blender.org forum, I suppose posting replies there will keep things centralized)

Hi to you all ! :smiley:

My first post.
My first plugin.
My first computer program in twelve years.

…whatever…

Blender still lags behind in polygon mesh/ subD editing. Programs like eg. Silo have a much more comprehensive toolkit. But since Blender is open-source and free and has an excellent tool for adding edge-loops, I believed it to be more than worthwhile learning Python and BPython API so I could add some of the most-needed features myself.

One of the most asked-for features on the Silo forum was edge-slide, a means of sliding edges/edge-loops without changing the base polygon-case geometry. Believe me, once you start using it you can’t be without.
I’ve written a BPython plugin that handles this task.
NOTE: You will need to compile Blender from CVS to use this plugin, since it uses the new edge support in BPython, which is only in CVS at the moment, standard 2.36 or lower will not work.

Get the plugin here:
http://users.telenet.be/EWOCprojects/edgeslide.html

You get realtime visual feedback on the slide.
Crank down the subdiv-level on complex objects if realtime update is too slow.

Planned features:

• settings window, settings saved in config file
  • slide percentage slider for direct(non-realtime) adjustments for working with high subdiv levels
  • non-proportional sliding
  • slider for adjusting between non and full proportional slide
  • vertex slide
  • face slide (if anyone has a use for this)

Any feedback more than welcome.

Don’t feed your ego, feed the duckies…

Beautiful, it works a treat :smiley: Keep up the good work.

/nozzy

Thank thee a whole lot:) Now incorporate it into Blender.

Great contribution! Thank you!
Keep been inspired!

I will test this plugin soon

Oh man, this was perfect. Very nice script. It was just when I needed it. I think this is useful enough that it should be incorporated into blender default commands.

Thank you for this.