[Custom Build] Blender pigeon - v2.79 (October 24th)

Hello,

I am presenting a custom blender build (Codename: Blender Pigeon) with some small modifications that are not possible without getting the hands dirty with Blender source.

Blender release 2.79 (October 24th):

Source: https://github.com/fjuhec/blender/tree/pigeon-v2.79-release

Binaries: http://www.pigeoncode.org/downloads/blender/release/
Mirror: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sl3uszodzlugy5r/AADxivyBWltQq-wq9nYnv4Rra?dl=0

Newest modifications:

Previous modifications:

• Added an optional alternate method for face group removal on bmesh boolean modifier.
  • Added wireframe overlay patch from https://codereview.appspot.com/6202058/
  • Added new option to wireframe color source to use object’s first material viewport color.
  • Object and edit mode preselection from EWOC preselection build.
  • Added option to select mouse button, disable splash and save changes on the splash screen.
  • Added option to display normals on selected and preselected elements only.
  • Basic support for painting through mesh in vertex paint mode using ‘Limit selection to visible’ option in view 3D header (like in weight paint mode).
  • Added more options to wireframe coloring:
  • Wireframe coloring options now have their own panel.
  • Exclude active makes the active object use the blender default color instead of wireframe color active. In that case the selected objects will use wireframe color active instead of selected for greater contrast.
  • Exclude selected makes all selected objects, including active, be drawn with default blender color.
  • Wire color source is only enabled when exclude selected is enabled. It lets the user select the color used for coloring wires. The available options are Normal, Select, Active, Object. The first three use the themable custom wireframe color and if used correctly it works a bit like changing the brightness of wires. The last uses the Object color as source.
  • Increased subdivide max cuts from 100 to 1000.

• Added a small fix for direction (normal vector) property that sometimes draws incorrectly.

• Added a button on the view header to hide the 3d cursor on current view.

• Added a button on the view header to lock the 3d cursor on current view.

• Added an operator to hide the 3d cursor on current view. (currently not assigned to a key but can be configured on preferences)

• Added an operator to lock the 3d cursor on current view. (currently not assigned to a key but can be configured on preferences)

• Added a checkbox on the view properties panel to hide the 3d cursor on current view.

• Added a checkbox on the view properties panel to lock the 3d cursor on current view.

• Added a checkbox on the view properties panel to hide the 2d grid on current view.

• Default rotation mode for bones is now XYZ Euler.

• Removed the name from the object mode select button.

• Implemented object custom wireframe colors using the bone color sets available on blender.

• Hability to disable the confirmation popup on some operators. A lot of popups are not modified in this patch, just the ones listed below.

• Popup disabled by default (configurable on preferences)
    SCREEN_OT_screencast
    FILE_OT_directory_new

• Popup disabled on DEL key (configurable on preferences)
    ARMATURE_OT_delete
    MASK_OT_delete
    OBJECT_OT_delete
    CLIP_OT_graph_delete_curve
    CLIP_OT_delete_track
    CLIP_OT_delete_marker

• Popup enabled by default (configurable on preferences)
    ANIM_OT_keyframe_clear_v3d
    ANIM_OT_keyframe_delete_v3d
    OBJECT_OT_vertex_parent_set
    OBJECT_OT_parent_no_inverse_set
    OBJECT_OT_slow_parent_clear
    OBJECT_OT_slow_parent_set
    ACTION_OT_delete
    FILE_OT_delete
    GRAPH_OT_delete
    GRAPH_OT_bake
    NLA_OT_make_single_user
    TEXT_OT_reload
    TEXT_OT_unlink
    WM_OT_save_homefile
    WM_OT_save_userpref
    WM_OT_read_history
    WM_OT_read_homefile
    WM_OT_read_factory_settings
    WM_OT_revert_mainfile
    WM_OT_recover_last_session
    WM_OT_quit_blender

Screenshot showing some features:

Temporarily removed modifications (need to think more about those):

• Experimental code to draw node link menu for registered custom nodes.
  • Custom sockets with default_value get the appropriate socket type set on registration.
  • Socket type can be defined with ‘bl_static_type’
  • Custom Socket type can be defined with ‘bl_custom_type’

Keep in mind this build is experimental.
I hope it doesn’t break anything :wink:

Feel free to post comments, issues, suggestions, contributions.

Enjoy,
Francesc

Attachments

1 Like

The options for the cursor are nice, well done :wink:

nice wrok fjuhec, try to put your patch on developer.blender.org to get it reviewed (maybe with wireframe separate as it’s a hot topic :wink:
By the way, how do you apply diffs with git ? Everytime I get an error that it doesn’t find the file although they are here. I call “git apply your.diff” from blender’s root git folder with the patch copied their, no luck :frowning:
Anyway, good job.

Thanks!

@matali, have you tried with the diff outside the git folder like “git apply …/patch.diff”?

I would appreciate it if you didn’t put the 3D cursor options on the already crowded toolbar, but instead on the 3D view properties, where there is already an entry for the 3D cursor. Namely, it’s X, Y and Z location. A checkbox to hide and/or lock the cursor would be better there. In my opinion.

@ambi, thanks for the suggestion, I will keep it in mind for the next build. Sadly, it’s too late for the one I am uploading right now (hash cc18834).

And now, the update. This one come with another experimental feature:

• Hability to disable the confirmation popup on some operators.

• Popup disabled by default (configurable on preferences)
    SCREEN_OT_screencast
    FILE_OT_directory_new

• Popup disabled on DEL key (configurable on preferences)
    ARMATURE_OT_delete
    MASK_OT_delete
    OBJECT_OT_delete
    CLIP_OT_graph_delete_curve
    CLIP_OT_delete_track
    CLIP_OT_delete_marker

• Popup enabled by default (configurable on preferences)
    ANIM_OT_keyframe_clear_v3d
    ANIM_OT_keyframe_delete_v3d
    OBJECT_OT_vertex_parent_set
    OBJECT_OT_parent_no_inverse_set
    OBJECT_OT_slow_parent_clear
    OBJECT_OT_slow_parent_set
    ACTION_OT_delete
    FILE_OT_delete
    GRAPH_OT_delete
    GRAPH_OT_bake
    NLA_OT_make_single_user
    TEXT_OT_reload
    TEXT_OT_unlink
    WM_OT_save_homefile
    WM_OT_save_userpref
    WM_OT_read_history
    WM_OT_read_homefile
    WM_OT_read_factory_settings
    WM_OT_revert_mainfile
    WM_OT_recover_last_session
    WM_OT_quit_blender

Screenshot:

Links on the first post.

A lot of popups are not modified in this patch, just the ones listed.

Enjoy,
Francesc

Updated with today’s master hash a49534a.

Enabled emulate 3 buttons and left mouse select to work together. Loop select with both options enabled is now possible.
This feature is a bit hackish, but in my tests works ok with tablet and mouse. It needs more testing to see if it produces any unexpected behaviour.

Let me know if there are any issues.

Enjoy,
Francesc

Hi fjuhec,
did you submit your patch ? how is it going ? For a lot of people, installing custom builds is a hassle (not compatible with master, not updated as often, risk of viruses, etc…). You do an good job here, so please try to get it in trunk (splitted to have more chance to get some of them in)

Hi matali,
I don’t think any of those modifications has any chance of getting into trunk. The small ones are so easy that they could already be part of Blender if the developers were interested on them. The more complex ones are a bit hackish and I don’t think my coding is up for Blender coding standards.
I stopped updating the build because I got stuck with one modification and was also waiting for 2.75 to be released. After that, I intend to continue updating the build, weekly perhaps.

2.75 … is out!!

Updated!

Blender 2.75 - 2 July 2015 (2.75 release - hash c6b042b):
Linux: https://app.box.com/s/owp3899fduayaulijzyq7aefv6eso7t9
Windows: https://app.box.com/s/csu4mpaf2sav5fcbt8yxpnjf19kewbsb
Mac: https://app.box.com/s/q8jlilkipop27xeyswrifiinw5u0x3at
Patch: https://app.box.com/s/gra5woq80yydfhnihk99ftchfsygmj40

The latest modifications are mainly for python addon developers using Custom Nodes and Sockets.

• Experimental code to draw node link menu for registered custom nodes.
  • Custom sockets with default_value get the appropriate socket type set on registration.
  • Socket type can be defined with ‘bl_static_type’
  • Custom Socket type can be defined with ‘bl_custom_type’

I will try to write a more detailed documentation with code samples, and next week I will upload a version from master.… but first I want to give some time to the Mitsuba exporter.

Enjoy!

thanks a lot. Some examples would also be nice to see improvements and possibilities. For the mitsuba exporter, i’m happy to hear it continues! I hope you can get realtime viewport from luxblend ported to it.

Wish you all the best!

Hi!

Uploaded 2.75a - hash c27589e
Same links as first post.

Cheers!

Great work, thank you.

Great work!

Very convenient options :slight_smile: After a week of pleasure to work with. Congrats and thanks again.
Hope for someday to get in master…

Thanks!! I am glad to hear you find it useful.

I have uploaded a new version with a small update to use wireframe colors in edit mode. I coded it fast so there is room for improvement on how the coloring is handled. Some theme colors don’t work very well with the current way colors are used.

Links are the same as first post.

Feedback welcome on how hard is to differentiate selected edges from non selected ones and opinions on how you think it could improve.

Enjoy!

PS: Don’t delete the previous version in case you don’t like wireframe colors in edit mode.

Thanks for your comment! I am very happy to hear you like it.
Sorry I couldn’t upload a weekly build. I am preparing for building 2.76 next.

Did you experience any issues loading scenes from one of the builds you are using to the other?

No problems at all… files moved to other versions come in with default/theme presets, all settings OK.
Also have tried on new blender-2.76-testbuild2-win64.zip (2015-Sep-10 20:03:07). First tests shows as expected.
Forgot to mention, simple solutions tend to work best, thanks.
No need to hurry with the next build… take time as long as it’s simple & stable.

Thanks again!

I will update the post when I upload a new build.