[addon] Auto matcap

Hello everyone.
This is my real first addon.
Auto matcap setup automatically your scene for using custom matcap.
Juste need to configure the file directory of your matcap texture folder, and save your empty scene as startup file.

The download link of the addon is on the video description.
I hope you’ll like it^^.

1 Like

Well done!
Thanks, much appreciated.

Thanks a lot… works like a charm…

Oh wow, amazing! I was going to try coding that, but you beat me :wink:

This version seem to be broken, when I check “Auto matcap” nothing happens

Oups, you are right, I corrected this error.
The last version evolved and I think that I shall have to make another video to show the changes.

Nice Addon. I’m still wondering why adding new matcaps to the existing ones is so difficult. It would be good to simply append them so you have everything in one place.

Great! Now it’s working again! I like that in this version saving to file isn’t obligatory anymore. And, if you don’t mind, I have a little suggestion - a option to change “matcaps directory path” in N-panel would be very useful, but anyway this is really good addon, thank you.

@ atekron:
Yes, why not, if it can be usefull^^

hey,
I’ve installed your addon, selected path to my matcaps directory and when I press “Auto matcap” button it always says “Changes were made in matcap directory”. When I press refresh preview i get this error:

do you know what causes this?
thanks

I had a correction on the GitHub. Try with the last version and tell me if it’s ok.

I tested it and error is gone but it’s still not working :frowning: It’s weird because I tested it on a different computer and it worked fine.
Now i get this:

It took first .png file from my matcap folder and applied it but I have more than 1 in there and when I press refresh it dosn’t do anything… I tried to create new folder and copied few images and its always the same

edit:
I noticed that “Backup_of_scene” folder was empty on my PC and when I copied “backup_setup” file from other PC its working now fine :slight_smile:

Sorry, i forgot to modify the code in the ui.py. Now, it should work correctly^^

Hey, how are u?.
This addon is really great specially cause it’s not possible to edit the default matcaps that comes with Blender builds.
I noticed that there’s a really bad performance when using auto matcaps in comparison with the default ones/ no matcap.
I’m currently testing blender sculpting features and found it is almost impossible to sculpt when using auto matcaps, do u know if there could be a workaround for this?
I’m looking forward to integrate it into my workflow :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot!

Oh, I just found out it might be cause the default matcaps uses solid shading, instead the texture shading that auto matcaps uses.
Is there any way of using the automatcap with solid shading for the viewport?
thanks