Bad mix

Ok, i’m not that good at drawing, but if i don’t show these “sketches” (which look like sketches, but are the best i can do ATM) to someone they’ll be ugly AND useless :stuck_out_tongue:
So, this thread is called “bad mix” because i plan to put more sketches of whatever i got to sketch while i was bored :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll start with my latest one. It doesn’t have a title and i’m not really sure what i was doing with this, but it should be some kind of robot admiring some flowers:

I don’t know anything about drawing so more experienced people might give more useful comments, just thought that maybe it could be a good idea to establish camera level, ground and very basic grid before starting to draw. Then perhaps doing a basic stick model to figure out limb directions in perspective and then drawing the actual character. That way you can figure out if you should see top of something (below horizon, eye level) or not (above), could estimate how long a line should be and if it’s away or towards the camera.

Maybe faint graphite pencil strokes for the grid or have it behind the paper, light pencil strokes for figuring stuff out. Final then with ballpoint pen or something else.

(I won’t spam your thread with unnecessary images/thumbnails) Maybe something to this direction http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=89165

Thank you. Yup, i know perspective, it’s just that i’m lazy, plus i tend to dislike the drawings where i spend more time. It’s like they become uglier the more i work on them xD
Then add that everything i sketched until now is randomness constructed around a random line made as a pastime during history classes :stuck_out_tongue:

So, here are two drawings which took me more time than the others:

This is a xenomorph. The fact that i had recently seen an awesome drawing of Venom made by a friend somehow altered this alien :stuck_out_tongue:

The most time here was spent on the railing. The rest is… quite confused. Under the wing of the dragon there should be the head of a dragon cub (which is totally invisible, sorry xD). And the text on the right is “see as we feed the dragon at 5:00 pm”, which is not even proper English :o.
And yes, the perspective is nonexistent and no, i don’t know where the hell is the body of the dragon XD

Your work is beautiful. Please make more :slight_smile:

Thank you, liar :slight_smile:
Unfortunately, i’ve just concluded my last year at second grade secondary school, so no more history classes where i can draw :stuck_out_tongue:
Jokes aside, now i need to get ready for the final tests, those horrible tests which decide whether you’re ready or not to leave school. And there’s a whole year of history classes i’ll have to catch up on in a week or so :eek:

Anyway, i’m going to post some old pictures, and here comes a very old one. But first, the history of my very short and uneventful drawing life :stuck_out_tongue:
Like many, when i was about 8 i quit drawing, probably because i didn’t feel good at it. What a stupid reason to stop doing something, but hey, i was 8.
So, no drawing from me for about 7 or 8 years, except those i had to make as homework. They were mostly perspectives and orthographic projections of simple solids, and for 3 years there were also some exercise with coloring.
Then, i began making “plans” for spaceships, because i was playing a kind of “mind game” with a friend. You can skip the description of the game :wink:

Summarizing, my friend was in charge of imagining the politics and technological advances of Earth and i was in charge of the same on… Jupiter, where a more advanced silicon-based form of life had developed. It all started with a darn big spaceship from Jupiter crash-landing on Earth to ask for help defending our Solar System against Sirius. Together, after causing Sirius B to fall into Sirius A thus producing a supernova that wiped out life from all the planets around (yeah, life is tough), the two planets built up an empire, slowly conquering the whole galaxy and repelling threats from deep space. This game went on for years, which became thousands of years in our “in-game time”

So, this year, in September, i was just bored in the classroom. I wanted to draw a spaceship, but i had no ideas. I tried some random lines to see if i could come up with something, and in the end that something wasn’t a spaceship.

Here it is, an astronaut who gets stopped by… something, while he was just trying to enter a strange forest he found on this alien planet.

With all its limits, this was much better than what i thought i could ever draw, and i enjoyed making it so much, that i decided i had found something to do during history classes :stuck_out_tongue:

Today, i stole my sister’s 1100D to take a poto of the majoram (origanum majorana) i planted in the kitchen

Then i decided i wanted to play a bit with it with some 30 sec exposures, and drew a house and tree in the air with my led torch.
Sorry for the mess in my bedroom :stuck_out_tongue:

It didn’t take long before i went fuzzy.
SOUL EXPLOSIOOOOON! XD

Strange hair i got.
Or is it ideas flowing out, and sometimes not getting back? I don’t know how i got that isolated light on the left xD

Now, i stole my sister’s bedroom too, attached the lamp to a pole and started spinning it :smiley:

STAR PORTAAAAAL!!!

Ok, i noticed that the attachments didn’t work, and also that i had exagerated a bit with the amount of dumb photos, so i edit this post with some robots :stuck_out_tongue:

This is one of my favorites, has everything a robot needs: articulated piston-powered legs, an engine section with its triple exhaust pipe, an articulated piston-powered arm to manipulate things and a piston-powered mace to smash what it can’t manipulate :stuck_out_tongue:
Nearly everything is made with I shaped bars.

And here comes the craziest and latest one, with no proper hands, replaced by two strange guns and five limbs which are used as feet or hands depending on the needs :stuck_out_tongue:
It should be made of scrap metal pieces. I was a bit lazy here :wink:

A sloppy greyscale sunset to welcome my first drawing tablet :wink:

There’s some nice stuff in this thread Gspin, contrary to what you claim, I would say you already know how to draw. That last sunset is nicely done, you’ve got the landscape getting paler the more distant you are which is good. Keep going mate, looking forward to more.

Thank you for the encouragement :slight_smile:

Trying to fight a couple of my many enemies

It’s been a long time.

I haven’t stopped drawing, in fact i’m on a daily drawing challenge, and it’s at 155 daily drawings now.

Results vary a lot, to the point it’s hard for me to see whether there is an improvement.

Great drawings. It looks like your paper is a little on the grainy side. I would recommend Strathmore 400 series.

Thank you, for both the compliment and your suggestion :slight_smile:

About that second one, i must admit i never thought of the paper.
I’m more worried about how bad i am at drawing, so i just went to a supermarket and bought a sketchbook that looked nice.

I never had a feeling that my sketches would look better on smoother paper.
Do you think it’d make that much of a difference?

I suspect most people like a little smoother paper. I think it’s also a bit tougher.