Object Moves When Parented to Individual Bone?

So I have an armature and a couple objects I want to parent to the individual bones in the armature. I was able to do so like this for each of the objects:

However, despite having set the origin to center and applying all transformations on both the parent and the child, the child moves and rotates randomly the instant I parent it to the bone. I am able to move it back where it was manually but that is too inaccurate and inefficient for what I am doing. Any ideas?

P.S. I am able to use this option when parenting an object to the armature,

but when I change the parenting mode from ā€œobjectā€ to ā€œboneā€ in the ā€œrelationsā€ panel I donā€™t get any options to ā€œkeep transformā€. It is crucial that I parent each object to their respective bones. Thank you for the help :slight_smile:

1 Like

On the armature, in pose mode, either reset the pose (alt g, and then alt r) or go to ā€˜rest positionā€™. Still in pose mode, select just the bone you want to use, so it is selected and green/blue.

On the object, alt g and then alt r, make sure origin is in a good place.

in object mode, select the object, hold shift and select the armature. Ctrl-p and choose ā€˜Boneā€™ from the pop up menu.

Then switch back to ā€˜pose positionā€™ or just pose it.

1 Like

Thanks for the help! When I do it the way this way, then I am able to get the ā€œKeep Transformā€ option and everything works great!

1 Like

This is one of the first topics that appears on Google for this issue, so Iā€™d also like to belatedly chime in with another possibility (should anyone else experience this issue).

An object unexpectedly moving ā€” after parenting to an individual bone ā€” can also occur if the object in question was already parented to a different object. So, a precautionary ALT-P can make all the difference :slight_smile: Hope this helps any passersby! Peace and God bless!

3 Likes

you just saved me hours of work!

1 Like